Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fatar TP 80 or similar action keyboard

tedsorvino

Hi. I was playing the other day a Nord Stage 3 with waterfall action. It felt fantastic. Semi weighted but way better than the average plastic semi weighed action. I think it's a Fatar TP 80. Since I'm not an organ player and I mainly play piano VSTs (electric and acoustic), I would like to know if there are any other keyboards with this action (or something similar) except the Nords and the Studiologic organ controllers? I think I don't need sliders etc for drawbars since I already own a good surface controller for such controls.

If there is not any other, which piano weighted action keyboard has such a good light feeling and good control. I currently use an M- Audio Hammer 88. Quite a good feel for what it is and overall a good 88 weighted controller (better than studiologic sl88 studio and plastic DPs below 500 euros), but the length of the keys is quite short and it becomes pretty heavy towards the pivot and on the black keys.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's TP/8O (an O for Organ, not a zero), and it is used on numerous keyboards. However, they don't all feel exactly the same, there can be differences in the spring tension and the throw; and they don't all play the same, as companies don't all do an equally good job of mapping the velocities for piano use. But besides Nord and Studiologic (Numa), I believe you'll find it in all the current Hammond portables except the XK5, the Dexibell J7 Combo, and the various Crumar Mojo, Mag, and Viscount Legend organs. Also in some older models, like the last version of the Korg CX-3. Other non-hammer actions that are above average for piano and don't get a lot more resistant toward the rear of the keys can be found in the Vox Continental 61/73, Yamaha YC61, and boards that use the Fatar TP/8Piano which is in the Dexibell S1, Kurzweil Artis 7, and numerous older Kurzweils. These TP/8Piano keys are probably the longest of the bunch.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I can find Kurzweil SP2 76 for around 500 euros, Kurzweil SP2 76 for around 650 euros and Dexibell Vivo s1 tl2 for around 750. All within my range. Do they all sport the same light Fatar TP/8 keybed? Which one seems better if you have any opinion on these models? Mainly for controlling VSTs.

That's something I also couldn't figure out too... It may be a cheaper one (I will try to contact Kurzweil directly).

What's your opinion about the other 2?

I have also found a used Kawai MP 10 -which is a different animal alltogether- for about 950 euros, which seems a great price for a Kawai, but I'm really scared of playing anything with a heavy sluggish hammer action, even if it's the most realistic one.

Any opinion? Unfortunatelly I can't try it anywhere. I liked the cheaper ES 110 action a lot, but I don't like DPs construction and I don't want to be near anything with speakers, I prefer something like a stage piano or controller with light action. And this semi weighted Nord 3 killed me. But...its price killed me too...in a different way.

What's your opinion about the other 2?

You only listed two... the Kurzweil SP2 which I have no knowledge of, and the Dexibell, which I haven't played personally, but has the TP8/Piano action.

I have also found a used Kawai MP 10 -which is a different animal alltogether- for about 950 euros, which seems a great price for a Kawai, but I'm really scared of playing anything with a heavy sluggish hammer action, even if it's the most realistic one.

MP10 is indeed a pretty realistic yet also pretty heavy action.

I liked the cheaper ES 110 action a lot, but I don't like DPs construction and I don't want to be near anything with speakers

Having speakers does not in any way detract from its usefullness. No matter what you buy, it will almost certainly have something you don't care about in it, whether it's speakers or something else.

I prefer something like a stage piano or controller with light action. And this semi weighted Nord 3 killed me. But...its price killed me too...in a different way.

Although still not cheap, you could get something similar to the Nord Stage 3 action in the semi-weighted versions of the Electro 6 or Electro 5. FWIW, even though the action is technically the same model, I did not think piano played as well from the Nord Stage 2 or Electro 3 models. (I never played an Electro 4.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've never seen/played any of them. But according to https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2893559/Comprehensive_List_of_Keyboard the SP76 does have the TP8/Piano action.