Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Final Fantasy 14 Fender Strat

I'm a huge gamer nerd, and during the pandemic my wife and I have gotten into Final Fantasy 14. This week was their big pre-release fan festival (happens about every 3 years). In one of the more surprising announcements, Fender reached out to the developers to create a licensed FF14 themed Strat. Series composer Masayoshi Soken is a fairly accomplished guitarist (he typically plays a Fender Starcaster), and demoed the product the other night. I guess beyond being an American Strat with translucent inlays, it has special button that runs the bridge/middle pickups together in series for a raw thick sound. At $3500, lol... but fun never-the-less.

ibJMyYWCozNbuuXtpE53C5-970-80.jpg

Guitar World: Fender Unveils FF14 Strat

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been considering a second guitar (to go with a g&l tribute tele) and the Fender player in "buttercream" has really caught my eye. I'd get a humbucker in the bridge as I'm nothing but a rhythm player (if that). I used to own a great-looking (light blue with mint green pickguard!), great-playing "blacktop" strat but I didn't like the two humbuckers it had.

My guitar threshold of what I'll spend is less than my keyboard one, no way I'd consider a made in USA let alone a custom shop one unless I got a great used deal.

Fender has done some interesting collaborations with Japanese interests.

The Evangelion Asuka Tele:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleEvnAsk--fender-2020-evangelion-asuka-telecaster-electric-guitar-asuka-red

The Evangelion Rei Strat:

rei_guitar1.jpg

The Koyuki Tele - this character actually played guitar, in a show about a rock band (Beck)

https://reverb.com/p/fender-tl-68-bc-beck-signature-telecaster-made-in-japan

All of these "Fenders" and not one maple fretboard?

Foof.

"Some" does not mean "all"

And these in this context does not mean "all' either. "All of THESE Fenders" means the photos of the ones in the thread until Dave Bryce posted a real one... lol...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Foof.

And these in this context does not mean "all' either. "All of THESE Fenders" means the photos of the ones in the thread until Dave Bryce posted a real one... lol...

Ok, I think I understand what you're getting at.

I don't think you would get along with Fender Jazzmaster owners. The most extremist among them believe only rosewood fretboards are acceptable on Jazzmasters.

I have two Fenders with maple fretboards btw. One of them is a Jazzmaster. Ironic, ain't it?

The other is a Strat, though it's quite a bit different than Dave's. Some Strat people will only accept Strats with rosewood - I take it you have some kind of UN treaty with those guys - you don't go to their territory and they stay away from yours, you meet them on Christmas Eve in the demilitarized zone, etc.?

Foof.

Ok, I think I understand what you're getting at.

I don't think you would get along with Fender Jazzmaster owners. The most extremist among them believe only rosewood fretboards are acceptable on Jazzmasters.

I have two Fenders with maple fretboards btw. One of them is a Jazzmaster. Ironic, ain't it?

The other is a Strat, though it's quite a bit different than Dave's. Some Strat people will only accept Strats with rosewood - I take it you have some kind of UN treaty with those guys - you don't go to their territory and they stay away from yours, you meet them on Christmas Eve in the demilitarized zone, etc.?

I've owned 3 Pre-CBS Jazzmasters at one point or another. I like them, the fatter, warmer sounding pickups go well with rosewood.

As a guitar tech, I've set up a LOT Of guitars in 45+years. Most of them are not the right guitar for me and I am completely OK with that.

I've heard players rip on something I would not enjoy myself many times. I enjoy the music, the tools are just tools in the end.

A friend handed me a crap acoustic guitar with high action and stiff strings once and I tuned it to a chord and played it with a beer bottle, watcha gonna do? I was there to have fun and I had it.

Nothing is set in stone, I built a beautiful strat for my brother, it has an ebony fingerboard (Warmoth neck). I'd play it any time and have a blast.

I just like the maple boards and thought I'd take a poke. Somebody pokes at me, I'll laugh if it's funny (far more often than not).

Yeah, I'm a bit of pot-stirrer...

This one is boring compared to all the others on this thread, but it just turned 41 years old. :cool:

Apologies to gamer nerds. :)

96w2vD.jpg

Looks cool to me and it's a hardtail, I like those. The big headstock adds some mass, better sounding to my ear.

I gotta have access to the entire string though to get full expression so the ashtray would be in the case.

[

As a guitar tech, I've set up a LOT Of guitars in 45+years. Most of them are not the right guitar for me and I am completely OK with that.

I've heard players rip on something I would not enjoy myself many times. I enjoy the music, the tools are just tools in the end.

A friend handed me a crap acoustic guitar with high action and stiff strings once and I tuned it to a chord and played it with a beer bottle, watcha gonna do? I was there to have fun and I had it.

Nothing is set in stone, I built a beautiful strat for my brother, it has an ebony fingerboard (Warmoth neck). I'd play it any time and have a blast.

I just like the maple boards and thought I'd take a poke. Somebody pokes at me, I'll laugh if it's funny (far more often than not).

Yeah, I'm a bit of pot-stirrer...

I'm mulling over switching to 0.10 or 0.11 gauge strings on the Jazzmaster. It was designed with heresy in mind, with the maple fingerboard, .009 strings, V-Mod II pickups with serial/parallel switch, etc. OTOH, I feel it'd be wasteful to throw away perfectly fine 009 strings. From what I gather, I'd have to make sure the pickups are lowered after switching to the heavier gauge, otherwise I can expect loss of sustain due to the thicker strings being too close to the pickup magnets.

Coincidentally, my 3rd Fender has an ebony fingerboard. It's the American Elite Tele. The ebony has some whitish shading on it so it's not purely black. I couldn't resist it.

I was going to post these videos with my amateurish playing and blame you for provoking me.

Actually, I'll post them anyway, l :laugh: They were recorded for backing track/playalong threads on another guitar forum.

The Tele:

[video:youtube]

The heretical Jazzmaster - couldn't bring myself to play my actual Eric Johnson Thinline Strat for this Eric Johnson style track, not that I ever bothered to study his style. The sticker was on because I'd just bought it on display model discount:

[video:youtube]