Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can we talk about retirement?

I was an OK musician, but a better student so I went to college instead of trying to pursue the prog-rock cover band I was in (in 1978- that would be like being a swing clarinetist in the mid-late 50's). Music remained a hobby, and my skills eroded. Problem is my career keeps me so busy I have become a cliché - have a nice acoustic grand, never play it. The shutdown last spring (first time I had taken off more than a week and a half in decades) allowed me to clean my garage and get in some time on piano and guitar, but also showed me that I am not quite ready to retire even though I could probably afford to. I have a lot of older clients who told me:

1) Travel NOW, while you are still able to (covid notwithstanding)

2) Exercise regularly

3) Always have something to keep you busy

4) Keep learning new things, to exercise your mind

5) Always have something to look forward to

An older, estranged sibling passed away suddenly today- it just goes to show you that you never know...

Marzzz,

First, I wish you my sincere condolences. Estranged or not, the fact is your sibling"s passing is impactful. I do believe that a person lives on through the positive influences that they have on the rest of us.

In some ways my story parallels yours. Ten years ago my older brother was given some very bad news. Fortunately, in my case I was given the gift of circumstance where we could repair some of the cracks in our relationship and our entire immediate family was able to come together and see him through his final months, to the point of administering his TPN and pain management injections. (It felt almost like a tribal ritual.)

It feels strange to be at an age that is well past that which my older brother got to live, but at the same time, I feel that it is almost my duty to live the golden years that my brother did not get to have. Hence, for me I decided to commit to retirement sooner rather than later. Based on my experiences in the past four years, I would support the every single word of the advice that you posted one hundred percent. I would add point number 6: 'Take retirement as an opportunity to spend time building relationships.' I spend more time supporting aging parents than I thought I would and I will always be grateful that I have had the opportunity to do that.

If you take the time to see it, there is so much in life left to be accomplished and enjoyed. Make it a goal to compose and issue some music. Write a novel. Learn to cook. Work for a political candidate that supports the things that you support. Shovel the neighbours" walks in the winter. Learn to write song lyrics. Pull a weed or two. Commit at least one act of creation every day. Move and use your body now. You won"t be sorry.

Piktor -

Thanks, I didn't mean to drop a bomb on this thread, it just came out. We had been estranged for years, and were just starting to rebuild our relationship, so at least my last communication with her was positive. Couldn't help but chuckle about the "shovel the neighbors' walks in the winter," as I live in Arizona...

But the important thing is you can never know when things may happen, so it is important to live for the now! Just as in retirement, a real balance of work, life, etc. needs to be maintained. I could have worked harder and made more money, but "you can always make more money, you can't make more time!"

1) Travel NOW, while you are still able to (covid notwithstanding)

2) Exercise regularly

3) Always have something to keep you busy

4) Keep learning new things, to exercise your mind

5) Always have something to look forward to

An older, estranged sibling passed away suddenly today- it just goes to show you that you never know...

Excellent list, and again, sorry for your loss.

Pre-Covid I was already thinking about taking a long sabbatical / retiring early. I do want to make sure I keep busy, and if I find something that keeps me busy and earns me money, better. If the work from home mentality continues, I can see a lot of opportunities, including international ones.

This covid situation and other family issues got me thinking A LOT - tons of reflection, prioritizations, enjoy the subtle, little things. Saw a few friends / colleagues - younger than me - battling COVID in the worst way (intubated, pneumonia, long recoveries). Other colleagues around the globe rethinking their plans.

But mostly my daughter. Having decided to be a late father (I was 46 when she was born), I have tons of extra motives to be around for as long as I can. Simple math, I'd be 68 in her graduation (if she choses that path).

My father chose retirement early - at the time he was a high level executive in a multinational, retired at 53. I though he was nuts at that time; now I fully appreciate and understand. He's 79 this year, quit smoking about 14 years ago (3 packs / day till he was sixty) , and doing pretty well (he did do some consulting work and retired fully at 58, but at a much slower pace). My daughter gave him a huge boost to take care of himself - before that, my nieces did the same (now 13 and 15). My father in law passed away at 51 due to a stress triggered heart attack.

Intend on travelling and focusing on music initially, but want to explore other hobbies. Since I'll (finally) have a nice music room, hope to invite friends for jam sessions / collaborations / recording sessions. Don't see playing out, but who knows.

As for other current hobbies, rebuild/consolidate/increase my already pretty big lego collection.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I've really enjoyed this thread and people sharing. A couple of days ago I attended the memorial service for the wife of a former work colleague (great guy). They have three kids. She got cancer and she passed away at 40. He will now (at least in the short term) be raising three kids himself. Things like that force you to reflect on life and how we are all passing through.

I am 60 years old and started performing again in bands about 10 years ago. It has been an adventure. The first band was a classic rock band, and then the guitar player and I started a party rock/funk/current hits band. He and I are always on the same page, and we recently brought on a like minded bass player and drummer (we are a quartet). The first gig with the new lineup is Friday and I can't wait. We mostly play wineries and the hours are good for someone my age. We pride ourselves on playing some current hits and we've found that music has a lot going for it also (at least the material we choose).

I took vocal lessons for several years with a very talented female vocalist. We formed a duo act that plays Pink, Lady Gaga, and also standards. I throw in some Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Billy Joel. Very demanding to play in a duo, but it has done wonders for my chops.

I got approached a few years ago with a tribute band opportunity. Great bunch of guys and once I got the gear programmed I was good to go. Tribute bands pay better, and we play larger venues. I am more "hired gun" in this band, but I enjoy it and since I sing a lot in my other two projects, this one I focus on my keyboard playing (the band has a lead singer) and enjoy it as something to do. We do occasionally play serious bar gigs and t 1:30 AM I wonder what the heck am I doing? That said, the alternative is likely sitting at home watching TV.

I will retire from my tech day job likely next year. I've been blessed to play with some very talented musicians and often wonder why they are happy to perform with me. I'll never be the monster player I would like to be, but I'm a better version of me than I was a few years ago. So I am thankful for that.

A lot of great content and advice in this thread. As you get older, do the things that bring you joy and take care of yourself. I decided a few years ago I wanted to stay busy as I could with music as I don't have much runway. My wife is super supportive and goes to a lot of my gigs. I've met so many great people through music. But if the gigging/social aspect doesn't bring someone joy, ... play music at home, compose, record. We are fortunate to have a hobby that you can participate in your entire life. Appreciate everyone's sharing and openness on this thread.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Old people playing, I enjoy listening to them. Old people singing, uggg. How quickly the voice goes for many people. I'm thinking this is a good example of Karma. Those singers that so dominated band decisions when young are destined to suffer in the later years. I have about decided that if I am going to play in an old people retiree band, one of them has to have a grandchild that sings. :)

Twice this year I have been asked to play keys in bands. Both times my reply was "Thanks, but I have finally come to grips with my stage fright and have no desire to go through that torment again." Still, I am tempted. And being retired I don't really want pay. Maybe a once a month gig playing outdoors and events. Alas, things seem to be the same in my small town as they were in the 80's. No one wants a drummer. Everyone wants a keyboardist.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

... As you get older, do the things that bring you joy and take care of yourself. I decided a few years ago I wanted to stay busy as I could with music as I don't have much runway. ...
I posted earlier in this thread so won't repeat very much. I'm 75, retired, widowed. My wife's passing made me take stock about how much time I have left and what to do with it. I'm also having conversations with friends in a similar age range about how your perspective changes as you get older. We want to get as much joy, pleasure, happiness, fun â whatever you want to call it â out of life, even in the midst of pain and sorrow and health issues. For me, that's playing live music. Also, eating good food and drinking good wine. I've played T-Bone Shuffle hundreds of times. "Have fun while you can, fate's an awful thing."
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Wow!, so many of the comments here resonate with me that I no longer feel like a fraud outsider - thanks.

If I knew how to quote the relevant extracts they'd stretch to the end of the page. I joined a band in 1965, turned pro in '69, semi pro in '75, solo in '76. Kids arrived in '84 and '86. With the day job and up to six solo gigs a week I missed the first ten years of my kids lives but we needed the money. Gigs involved shifting three keyboards, two speakers, two amps, gig bag, stands etc. In all seven trips each way (the plus point is that it kept me extremely fit). In '96 I started my own engineering business which thrived and gigs became a chore, money was no longer an issue, I could enjoy more time with the family and a regular social life that you never get when gigging. Over the next 25 years I dallied with a couple of bands whose sole objective was to rehearse and allow the guitarist to drone on for hours at extreme volumes ( a topic which may have been discussed previously once or twice), a soul band whose leader expected me to lug my gear and play for pleasure and a friends '60's instrumental group (this was quite fun and we played a couple of dozen gigs plus two conventions) The most pleasurable was when one of my son's friend invited me to join his scratch band; six 25 - 30 year olds plus a geriatric keyboard player and drummer, six gigs, six great young musicians and six good times.

Back to the OP's points and a few more:- I no longer want (nor have the strength, lungs or energy) to hump or haul gear around. I have no idea what the current gig going audience expects to hear nor would they want me to play it. I, too, no longer wish to play for the same as was the norm a quarter of a century ago.

My business was sold 18 months ago - initially I missed the visits to site, (mostly in the City of London) and solving people's problems but my hobbies kicked in and have now taken over.

To the OP, the thing I've learnt about retirement is - As long as you are financially secure (and it doesn't have to be a colossal amount) retirement brings freedom.

Freedom not to do crap gigs, freedom not to lug gear, freedom to indulge in the the things you've wanted to do, freedom to have a normal active social life, freedom to play what you want, when you want.

You may have guessed I'm a great fan of retirement, so much so that I now resent being tied down to an agenda or calendar.

PianoMan 51, retirement? Come on in, the water's lovely!

Rofox, thanks for the encouragement! For good or bad, when meeting choices that that I"m unsure of, i tend to ponder until one morning at 4 am I"ll find myself awake with the answer. Still waiting.

But in my OP I didn"t mention an earlier encounter with the retirement of an older bandmate. We played every other week for more than 10 years. When I hit 65 he was 77. And he was losing his short term memory. He would call a tune. The same song we just finished. But he still blew the rest of us off the stage. I"d look over to my bassist and we"d both laugh in amazement. He really didn"t quite realize it until we did a Christmas gig. And he kept getting lost in the tunes. See, the normal repertoire stayed in his wheelhouse, but one year of inactivity on the Christmas tunes left him incapacitated. Two weeks later he quit. And broke my heart. For him. And for my future self, for whom those bells will toll. So I do recognize how continuing to do our normal routine as long as possible is an essential habit for growing old with grace. My conundrum is to find the right way to do it.

PianoMan51 I feel your pain and none of us can predict if we'll succumb to memory loss or dementia but I'm sure if someone has an active mind, explores new concepts and takes an active interest in say science, current affairs and hobbies they can continue to make new neuron connections. Perhaps just following the "normal routine" isn't enough. If we enjoy new stimuli and keep them coming perhaps we can enable our brains to remain flexible. At 73 I'm still a bit of a whizz at quizzes although instant recall sometimes isn't quite as instant as it once was.

My message is don't atrophy and enjoy retirement for as long as you can - after all, you've earned it!

Trying to avoid memory issues is why I decided to learn piano at 70 YO to keep exercising my brain. Somethings do take a little bit more time to recall or typing I'll think one word and type a similar word. I think I'm doing better than others I know in my age group I talk to, but I'll listen to a recording of a lesson or conversation and hear where I drop a word or think one word and say another, but not too bad.

• 3 months later...

I turned 67 in February. I've been self-employed for 21 years.

Been trying to retire this year with some success. I say "some success" because I keep getting sucked back into new business opportunities. Don't really need the money, but it's tough to turn down client revenue. Most self-employed folks should relate to the 24/7 preoccupation with marketing and sales and these habits don't just go away.

Our son got me started on using Reaper and there is potential to finally learn about a DAW - but this will take time. It'll be easier to delve into new music horizins if I can stop working. My brain is conflicted.

Steve Coscia

I deal with a lot of retired people in my practice, and two things I have been told repeatedly:

1)"Ever since I retired, I have been busier than ever!" (especially if they started "part-time" consulting, etc.).

2)"My health was fine, then everything went to $#!T when I retired!" Not sure why this would be related, I think it is more a function of getting older...

Sedentary lifestyle is a problem. If you"re going to retire, you need a plan to keep your mind and body running. Take a part time job doing something interesting, fun even in comparison to the responsibilities you used to grind. Keep family and friends in your life. Match your calorie intake to what you"re burning. If you want to eat more, take up a physical activity you always wanted to - hiking, swimming, kayaking, biking. What"s that old saying - hurry up living or hurry up dying.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I deal with a lot of retired people in my practice, and two things I have been told repeatedly:

1)"Ever since I retired, I have been busier than ever!" (especially if they started "part-time" consulting, etc.).

2)"My health was fine, then everything went to $#!T when I retired!" Not sure why this would be related, I think it is more a function of getting older...

Can confirm both points 1 & 2.

My dad retired at 62, and began a lengthy download slide of physical health. While he kept his mind somewhat active (moderate reader/kept up on the news) and traveled on occasion, his activity level dropped sharply. He told us: " I'm retiring from 'everything' ". Unfortunately that included his passion for local politics and volunteer work for two precincts, which involved frequent long-distance walking and conversations with constituents. He barely lasted sixteen years after that. Granted, decades of heavy smoking and poor diet contributed to that, but shutting down a life's passion certainly accelerated the process. Though he did remain interested in history and current events/trends, dementia began to eclipse his mind within a decade, and our still-fascinating conversations dropped off by his early 70s.

I'm the same age as my dad at his retirement, and am definitely doing things differently. While no tri-athlete, I keep moving - stretching, lifting, fast-walking (mostly due to work, vs. planned work-outs). Between playing out with two different bands and chores my wife and I share, it's an active life. Retirement? Not planning to ever fully retire (I've been a FT private teacher, accompanist-MD, band member for about 25 years), but cutting back in a couple areas is likely - especially after my wife retires (no definite year on that, yet.).

I have noticed though, that my patience with particular acts/musical direction has worn thin in the past couple years. While I'm grateful for the live work, I relate less-and-less to those who want to continue learning sometimes-elaborate 'concert rock' to play in clubs. While there are pockets of people in club audiences that like that music, most appear to want straightforward, danceable songs. And for one of the bands I'm with, they seem to miss that point. They'll start a conversation about learning more danceable songs, then the next day it changes to a flurry of YouTube videos of 80s-style hair band tunes I've not heard of :laugh: .

The other afternoon I was packing up to head out of town for a Jimmy Buffett tribute/classic rock gig (which a lot of audiences still go crazy over), and the bassist from the other act texts me and asks, 'Hey can you have 'Foreplay/Long Time' ready soon; also we've been waiting on those Foreigner and Kansas tunes'... I've already worked up a dozen of those keys-heavy tunes this year for these guys. Enough already... :wall:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I somehow missed this thread the first time around, so my thanks to Steve for bringing it back to the top of the forum threads.

I am still a ways off from "day job retirement," though I am hopeful that I could be "semi-retired" in less than 10 years. I'm in my early 50s. My wife and I are taking stock of what's ahead and what's important. We had our sights set on maybe a beach or river house, though that just creates a trail of additional debt and hassle. So we will continue to make our home of nearly 30 years as much of an oasis as we can. We are hopeful that she can "semi-retire" sooner and focus on a few sidebar hobbies and potential side business ideas.

From a musical standpoint, COVID was interesting as it shut down gigs almost completely for 18 months, save for a few outdoor gigs last year. In the past several months, gigs are back to almost normal and I've enjoyed getting back to it. However, having the time without gigs created this new dynamic where my wife and I could do more stuff because I wasn't constantly dealing with the "sorry I can't do that thing because of my gigs" and so forth.

In the past two months, in addition to my regular gigs with my '80s/classic rock bar band that is like a comfortable pair of shoes playing with great friends, I've picked up a few random gigs with other groups and it has been very fulfilling. I'm just an ordinary, average player, so it's flattering to be on stage with some better musicians based on network and lack of keyboard players, LOL. I've been noodling on this idea of being accessible to sit in with groups that have some kind of unique or fulfilling aspect, vs. my earlier years post-touring when I was doing gigs I'd classify as money gigs that consumed time and had less fulfillment.

I also have a few non-musical, non-day job things I really enjoy and could potentially do as a side hustle in a semi-retired life. Things like house painting, trim carpentry, handyman kind of stuff. I have a vision of maybe being a Habitat for Humanity job supervisor, though without any legit construction credentials other than my own home improvements, not sure I'd be qualified. I could also see myself doing something like a "school of rock" thing to help younger keyboard players seek their potential, based on my experiences. I have a friend that quit his day job and has a handyman business plus he is a part-time teacher, well before more official retirement age.

It's kind of weirdly satisfying to focus time on thinking about what really satisfies me and then figuring out how that could be possible.

It was inspiring reading all the stories in this thread. Thank you!

Regards,

Eric

Like many of you, I kept an active and athletic lifestyle. Ran the Marine Corp Marathon once and the Philadelphia half-marathon five times. These days, bicycling is my thing.

This year, I drove out west for a 5-month trek of overlanding - three of those months were in Arizona, Utah and Wyoming. Loved it. My wife is not interested in overlanding - it's a primitive, off-the-grid style of camping. Our marraige works because we give each other space - we're a strong team in terms of planning and strategizing.

Below photo is from KOFA National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Arizona - I camped there for a week. Solitude soothes the soul. But I still want to learn Reaper and get good at a DAW.

IMG_4235-B-scaled.jpg

Steve Coscia

From my experience of being retired one thing I wish I had done is more in my 60's, like moving to other city, more energetic activities, and similar things. Because going into my 70's those things are just too much to consider for me now. At least I did decided to start playing piano at 70, my guitars are mad but I play they some so they aren't totally ticked at me.

What I've read the average people live 15 years after retiring. For me my key to hitting retirement age is making sure I keep my brain and body active, but studying new things and exercise regularly. Also listen to your body it will tell you when you need to kick back for a few days to a week or two, but then get back to keeping active.

I'm 60 now. I can't imagine deliberately retiring from my day gig, but I do think it's likely I'll age out at some point. Doing music & audio post for corporate America is great, but eventually my client base will retire or sell their business to young up & comings, who may well replace their vendors with other young up & comings willing to work for half of what I charge. We'll see, time will tell.

As for gigging, health issues have made me scale back a little... not in that I can't do it, but I'm just realizing that life is short and that I have zero interest in playing "Boogie Shoes" in a bar 45 minutes from home with a mediocre band. I don't need the money that badly. So, I've scaled back a bit. I still play with an original artist that does very well locally and another festival band that has a horn section & string quartet. The former plays good music really well together. The latter plays good music, but is blessed / cursed with several hot dogs that love showing off their chops (to be fair, they're REALLY good, but still...). My patience will probably wear thin over the next few years with that group.

I'm also still MD at my church. Again, I'm in no hurry to let go of that, but there's the reality of a grey haired dude leading a "contemporary" worship team that might at some point have people thinking it's time for some young blood.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I am 60 years old and started performing again in bands about 10 years ago.

Ditto

I will retire from my tech day job likely next year.

I"m also in tech, and may be retiring soon myself now. I wasn"t planning to ever, but circumstances are now changing and I"ve also changed my mind. I think I"m going to make the shift and finish my life as a musician, as my parents had hoped for long ago.

A lot of great content and advice in this thread. As you get older, do the things that bring you joy and take care of yourself. I decided a few years ago I wanted to stay busy as I could with music as I don't have much runway. My wife is super supportive and goes to a lot of my gigs. I've met so many great people through music. But if the gigging/social aspect doesn't bring someone joy, ... play music at home, compose, record. We are fortunate to have a hobby that you can participate in your entire life. Appreciate everyone's sharing and openness on this thread.

Sage advice - we are in similar situations.

Life is short - live it to the fullest, be the best you can be, and have no major regrets if at all possible.

While there are pockets of people in club audiences that like that music, most appear to want straightforward, danceable songs. And for one of the bands I'm with, they seem to miss that point.

I"ve been working on that concept for two years now, but unfortunately personnel has kept me from getting there. First attempt had a few good players, but a drummer who dropped beats and couldn"t motivate himself to practice.

Second started off in the right direction, but due in large part to a singer who wouldn"t put the work in, and a rhythm guitar player trying to become a lead, it moved too slowly and we finally had to try to just incorporate songs the singer knew. Finally had enough.

Now we are working on a third iteration, but everyone appears to be too busy to commit to a rehearsal schedule.

With my pending retirement plans, the wife and I are now talking about relocating out of this State and moving to the Vegas area. I"m hoping I can find plenty of more serious opportunities there.

It didn"t used to be this hard :(

KOFA National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Arizona - I camped there for a week. Solitude soothes the soul. But I still want to learn Reaper and get good at a DAW.

This photograph has many characteristics of a well planned landscape painting. The "luxury" of painting is artistic freedom to strengthen a composition. Not much is needed here. The same adjustments could be made using something like Photoshop. I would reduce the scale of the foreground cactus and shift it to the left. Otherwise I would probably leave everything else as is. As a photograph there is so much life in it. Usually there is a high percentage of lifelessness (to my senses) in photography compared to painting. To better understand where I am coming from you would need to see examples of the painting style I compare this to.

Is that dust flaring up from a breeze or were there cars or motorcycles passing by on a nearby road?

What is the camera that was used? I would not be surprised if it were an iPhone. The quality from an iPhone can be amazing.

IMG_4235-B-scaled.jpg

Is that dust flaring up from a breeze or were there cars or motorcycles passing by on a nearby road?

What is the camera that was used? I would not be surprised if it were an iPhone. The quality from an iPhone can be amazing.

The smoke is the after-effect of a passing Jeep.

Camera is an iPhone 8.

There are many cool photos from this week-long overlanding stay. The best times were morning coffee at the campfire and afternoon naps after rigorous hiking or biking.

Steve Coscia

I've noticed something unexpected about retirement. While working I was constantly goal driven. Changes in requirements in electronic medical records. Need of correct billing. When billing Medicare and Medicaid it is do it correctly or give the money back. Everything was goal driven.

Now in retirement I'm finally realizing that I need to reaccess and build new goals. My number one goal for retirement was travel related. I've been to 36 states and want to make it to 50. But, I've not traveled any and don't see and end to this Covid mess. So maybe it is time to come up with new goals and start working towards them. Music, photography, a YouTube channel to teach my younger family members how to cook? So far I have not found a goal that really speaks to me. Not one that I can accomplish with this isolation. I know what I would really like to work on if this isolation ever passes. I'd like to work with a church to created a senior focused music program. A place where seniors can go and play with a band without the need to perform for money. I can supply most everything needed. Instruments, speakers, everything but a mixer and that would not be hard to get. But again, until the isolation is over ...

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I always liked this George Bernard Shaw quote: "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

At the age of 35, I saw a New York jazz trio play at a club near where I lived. The average age of the three guys was over 80. That was a long time ago but I will never forget how good they were and how much fun they had on stage. Since then, I've lost any fear of getting older. Isn't any kind of play a kind of lightheartedness from childhood?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I've noticed something unexpected about retirement. While working I was constantly goal driven. Changes in requirements in electronic medical records. Need of correct billing. When billing Medicare and Medicaid it is do it correctly or give the money back. Everything was goal driven.

Now in retirement I'm finally realizing that I need to reaccess and build new goals. My number one goal for retirement was travel related. I've been to 36 states and want to make it to 50. But, I've not traveled any and don't see and end to this Covid mess. So maybe it is time to come up with new goals and start working towards them. Music, photography, a YouTube channel to teach my younger family members how to cook? So far I have not found a goal that really speaks to me. Not one that I can accomplish with this isolation. I know what I would really like to work on if this isolation ever passes. I'd like to work with a church to created a senior focused music program. A place where seniors can go and play with a band without the need to perform for money. I can supply most everything needed. Instruments, speakers, everything but a mixer and that would not be hard to get. But again, until the isolation is over ...

I usually tend towards long term planning because of my job, but for personal stuff when I'm stuck on a rut, short term planning works great (weekly typically), with weekly reviews of what I did. Planning for small time blocks (even it it is exploratory to see if resonates with you), then see what you did. I use MS OneNote to keep quick notes - jot down things like saw this youtube video, what I liked about it, what I should checkout, checked this site, did 30 min of a training in Udemy, made some notes. If I did something different on exercise, right it down. Tedious, requires disciplines, easy to say f*ck it, but gives me results. I can access from my cell phone to easy to jot down notes as well. Easy to overdo it as well, though, and requires some reflection from time to time.

This past year and a half I ended up planning my day in more detail than I usually did (and really like to), but it's easier to focus on getting things done and accomplishing something that I slotted time in outlook than to start focusing from scratch.

When my dad retired, he chose discipline / routine over his activities over a lot of what his friends who retired at the time did who felt it best to just best to relax and do whatever they felt at the time. In retrospect, I felt my dad's approach was the best, and I tend to follow a lot of what he did.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I turned 62 last March. Retired June 30 without any real plans except to not have any plans or schedules.

Been out of the music biz almost 10 years. Thought I would jump back in, but I guess not in any hurry. I actually quit practicing when I retired. I expect it will take a year or so to get all settled in.

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88