Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

oops, I did it again

So, how many times over the past two decades have you heard me talk about my love of Phil Jones Bass amps, and my never-ending hunt for a fretless 5 string? Guess you'll have to hear me talk about them a little bit more.

I started a new job in December. February, I went above & beyond, and they gave me a bonus. My wife agreed that I could spend it on music gear. I'm always keeping my eyes peeled in the local ads and stores, so I started salivating.

Hoping that there would be some more gigging opportunities in the summer months, I thought about getting another Phil Jones cabinet to match with my Six Pack combo. One of my sort-of-local stores (Coffey Music) was a dealer, so I stopped in to see what they had. They had the 4x7 and 2x7. Cut me a really good deal, so I took the 4x7. I love the array of 5" speakers in my other PJ amps, but these 7" speakers do seem to give a little more warm low end. Still super articulate in the upper end, but just a little extra down below (that's what she said). These are rear-ported, so that may play into it. But I'm digging it, both with the Six Pack (for quite a wallop) and on it's own. Which leads me to the next acquisition...

I figured I might as well get a small head to use with the 4x7 cab, when not using the Six Pack. Thought about the Trace Elliott ELF, and a few others, but decided to stay above 300 watts. Almost got the Peavey MiniMega, but a few bad reviews made me question it. Want to stay brand loyal, so considered the Phil Jones PB800; but couldn't quite justify the price. Then I stumbled on a few Traynor amps, the Small Block series. This is 500 watts at 4 ohms; 250 at 8. 4 band EQ, DI out, effects loop. and a "low extension" knob. Plus, it's actually made in Canada rather than China. Found a new open box model on Reverb, that was discounted; plus it had the "make an offer" button. So I took a chance, made an offer, and they accepted it. Got to tell you, with the volume knob at only 9 or 10 o'clock, it adequately kept up with the drummer at rehearsal. Totally giggable as-is. Of course, I am now tempted to go back to Coffey Music and grab that 2x7 cabinet, too. Maybe.

So while looking at these items, I found two fretless Carvin 5 strings on Craigs List. One was a bolt on, the other is a neck-through LB75. After contact with the owners, I went with the through neck for only $50 more than the bolt. Not sure of the year, but the pre-amp circuit board is marked © 1997. It has an oil finish, which has a few bumps & bruises, but nothing major. 2 stacked single coil pickups, same as I had put in my Schecter T5. 3 band preamp. And the volume knob is push-pull for passive/active. It has the old Wilkinson locking saddle bridge. Ebony fingerboard does have fret lines. The neck had some bowing to it; but I've been able to finesse the truss rod to get it pretty much straight. Neck is super comfy; similar in feel & taper to my Gibson EB5, but a bit thinner. Currently it's strung with flats, which are fine; but I'm probably going to put on some D'Adarrio half-wounds or Ken Smith compressors next time I'm at a store. Plus, it came in a Pro-Tek gig bag embroidered with Mike Lull on it; closest I'll come to owning a real Lull for now.

Hopefully I'll get a picture or three in the next couple of days to share with you.

So of course, now the wife asks if I'm going to sell any of the old gear. Silly lady! OK, I might sell the Carvin Redline amp & 1x15 cab. Might.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! I have the tiny Double 4 and find it just amazing, love Phil Jones stuff! The MiniMega had a bad initial run but have been solid since. I've run the MiniMax (it's little brother) for several years and it's been solid. As far as Carvin's go, I think their neck profiles are an absolute dream.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Nice toys!!!!

I tried the D'Addario Ground Wounds and did not like those. Almost as much finger noise as round wounds and they sounded sort of "thunky". I don't know about the Half Rounds if those are different.

Then I bought a mid 80's Peavey Fury (pinstriped headstock and Schaller tuners from the factory) for $200 and it came with D'Addario Brite Flats. I don't know how old they are.

Virtually no finger noise when sliding from note to note and they sound fantastic, sort of like 2 year old Rotosound round wounds.

Not telling anybody to do anything, just passing along an opinion.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 11 months later...

I too have acquired a PJB cab-47... driven by a Hartke TX600 amp...

Love it!  I remembered seeing ads years ago in BassPlayer with Chuck Rainey... Was very intreagued!  Small speakers???? Easily portable!!! How can they match up to my Hartke rig-- heavy 410 & 115 xls ( lotta Birch plywood in tbose) + HA7000 amp (cab 47 @ 36lbs weighs less than amp in its road case)

Well, I went for it, did my research on the brand, and took a shot on the Cab47...

Really like what I have heard so far... Clarity, punch, nice forceful lows... And those ports in the back-

Put the cab with a reflecting surface (wall) behind it, and boom-- the cab goes on steroids!!

So, yup, got the PJB bug... Down the road will I look for another to PJB, you bet!

Wife permitting, of course!!