Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the Best, and Worst, Thing in Your Life Right Now?

My condolences JD..I too lost my mother during the pandemic, although not from COVID.

I was trying to stick to Craig's "without bringing up people" admonishment at the top of this thread, but I also lost my mother to "covid-like massive coagulation" last year. The worst thing in itself, coupled to having had to stay away from her in order to try to KEEP her and m father from getting covid. It was not how I had thought or wanted things to be like for her at that time.

Now I've got to fight my father to keep him safe thanks to "the president said it's over!", "the CDC says we don't have to wear masks!!!" rubbish.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally started recording my 3rd CD after the new year. The Fairlight MX3 was a bit finicky so I went off on a tangent for 2 months trying to port MFX3 files to my PC with Ethernet for backup. When that didn't work I decided to try and export 8 sub tracks to my PC instead. That is when I discovered that my mixer no longer had 8 subs working properly.

Good news. Things are still moving forward.

Bad news....mid March 2020 my 36 year daughter was kicked out of her college dorm because of Covid. After living alone for more than 10 years, she was coming home, for what we thought might be up to 6 weeks. WELL SHE IS STILL HERE !!!

She was continuing her studies ONLINE for 6 months or so, but she couldn't keep up with the "noise" here. After dropping her last course, the government called in her student loan....etc. etc..

So I'm not concerned so much for myself but for my daughter. She gets TRIGGERED when she sees masks, so outside employment won't work now.

My wife likes to go out, and lockdowns are really hurting her, but we got away to Niagara falls last September.

As I said , for me, as a "retiree" I have been home most of the time for the past 10 years so some of the covid lockdowns didn't bother me too much, but this one has been already 8 weeks. I'm still allowed to ride my bike 12 miles a day or walk 3 miles and that is good.

I'm happy as long as I keep busy. I'll be cleaning the new mixer and putting it back together tomorrow.

And yes, I don't know why , but I'm still practicing for the WFD speed drumming. I may never be able to go to the States again.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

OK, if we are leaving out loved ones,

Worst

I work for one of the biggest insurance companies in the world, but I'm basically a creative director. I've spent the last 3 years building my dream team of UX people, graphic designers, devs, and researchers. Apart from inheriting 5 great folks when I took the position, I hand picked every other person on my 30 member team. I won't bore you with details, but we are highly regarded, and I get excellent reviews from my direct reports eveyr quarter. Three weeks ago, they hired a Sr Creative Director, and one week in, he moved me to a team of two and took my entire org, making no changes otherwise. This isn't the worst thing because of my job being in jeopardy...it's not. It's the worst thing because I have recent college grads on my team who now want to quit because the new guy is an intense micromanager. The person who was my boss (who is now my boss's boss) won't meet with me to explain why he did this. I had to escalate to HR, which is essentially career suicide.

Best

Somehow, after years without taking time off of work (my wife and kids will vacation without me at times), I find myself, in my fifties, in a relatively healthy financial state. I'm certainly not gloating at all, and there have been lean, "living out of my car" years as well as years where tragedy and misfortune have put my future into an uncertain state. But when I was 25, I really thought that by the time I reached 50, I'd no longer have the motivation or energy to put together a studio let alone work on music, yet here I am at 54, still looking at catalogs and scouring craigslist for amazing gear finds. Craig, I am sorry about the financial troubles you are going through...there is nothing more stressful.

"For instance" is not proof.