Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite bass lines?

Other than "Flashlight", I'm not seeing much love for synth bass. Made me wonder for a second if I stepped into a different forum.

Phil Collins - Sussudio

Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F

Al Jarreau - Boogie Down

David Foster - Mornin'

Michael Jackson - Pretty Young Thing

George Benson - Feel Like Making Love

The Temptations - Treat Her Like A Lady

The Jets - Crush On You

Bobby Brown - Every Little Step

[video:youtube]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Wish - Stevie Wonder

Walking In The Shadows - Neville Bros

The Jam - Graham Central Station

Chameleon - Herbie Hancock

Soul With a Capital S - Tower Of Power

I Know A Little - Lynyrd Skynyrd

YYZ - Rush

What You Need - INXS

Sorcerer - Return To Forever

Sinister Minister - Bela Fleck & The Flecktones

It's Your Thing - Isley Bros

Sissy Strut - The Meters

Kryptonite - Spin Doctors

Other than "Flashlight", I'm not seeing much love for synth bass. Made me wonder for a second if I stepped into a different forum.

Phil Collins - Sussudio

Al Jarreau - Boogie Down

David Foster - Mornin'

The Jets - Crush On You

The Jets! Bobby Brown! I have a soft spot for 80s pop. Doesn't get much love on the forum.

Just about anything by Chris Squire. Offhand I'd give it to Starship Troopers but there are so many....In new(er) rock circles I really appreciate some of the work by the guy from Muse.

I'm late to the party but I started watching and listening to Tower of Power, especially the early 70s stuff like What is Hip. Rocco was a monster (well so was the whole band)

Just too many. All I can say is that I've rarely gotten a chance to play with a really in-the-pocket bass player in my lowly cover band weekend warrior circles. The times I did were awesome, I ended up playing a lot less because the rhythm section could stand up on their own. The rest of us were just along for the ride! :)

Phil Collins - Sussudio.....

I hear Prince in Sussudio but I have not seen Prince here.

Some (not all) synth bass:

Flesh For Fantasy, Eyes Without A Face ~Billy Idol

Come Undone ~Duran Duran

Thriller, Bad, Billy Jean ~Michael Jackson

Causing a Commotion, Vogue, Rescue Me, Holiday, Into the Groove, The Power of Goodbye, Who"s That Girl ~Madonna

Enjoy The Silence, Precious ~Depeche Mode

Don"t You Forget About Me ~Simple Minds

West End Girls ~Pet Shop Boys

Phil Collins - Sussudio

Al Jarreau - Boogie Down

David Foster - Mornin'

The Jets - Crush On You

The Jets! Bobby Brown! I have a soft spot for 80s pop. Doesn't get much love on the forum.

Might be a generational thing. It seems that most folks here are Boomers, who probably look at 80's/90's Pop/Urban music the way I look at Top-40s after 2000.

But then I love Debussy, Bill Evans, Claus Ogerman etc as much as I do EWF, Anita Baker, Terry Lewis & Jimmy Jam, Babyface, Robbie Buchanan, Peter Wolf etc. Even from a purely technical point of view, there're a lot of interesting stuff going on in 80's and 90's arrangements.

Phil Collins - Sussudio.....

I hear Prince in Sussudio but I have not seen Prince here.

Some (not all) synth bass:

Flesh For Fantasy, Eyes Without A Face ~Billy Idol

Come Undone ~Duran Duran

Thriller, Bad, Billy Jean ~Michael Jackson

Causing a Commotion, Vogue, Rescue Me, Holiday, Into the Groove, The Power of Goodbye, Who"s That Girl ~Madonna

Enjoy The Silence, Precious ~Depeche Mode

Don"t You Forget About Me ~Simple Minds

Yes, David Frank is highly likely inspired by Prince's "1999".

And thanks for almost Rick-rolling me. How could I have forgotten the Stock/Aitken/Waterman sound when it comes to synth bass!

I remember back then most the studio bass players started doubling on synth bass so they didn't lose session work to keyboard players. For live they moved to 5-string bass to get those few extras low notes and octave pedals. When I was on the Yes tour I remember Chris Squire had a set of bass pedals and maybe Steve Howe too. It was a LONG time ago but seem to remember two sets of bass pedals on stage hidden inside those Rogen Dean fiberglass blobs.

You Dropped A Bomb On Me and Early In The Morning - Gap Band

Let It Whip - Dazz Band

And the pedal part to any fugue Bach ever wrote.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I remember back then most the studio bass players started doubling on synth bass so they didn't lose session work to keyboard players. For live they moved to 5-string bass to get those few extras low notes and octave pedals. When I was on the Yes tour I remember Chris Squire had a set of bass pedals and maybe Steve Howe too. It was a LONG time ago but seem to remember two sets of bass pedals on stage hidden inside those Rogen Dean fiberglass blobs.

Chris Squire was using the Moog bass pedals long before that. He used them to accompany his bass on The Fish and on several of the early Yes songs. You can see the pedals in innumerable videos online.

As far as bass lines, most anything by:

Chris Squire

Mel Schacher

Geezer Butler

works for me, at least in their respective early periods.

Those guys, though absolutely nothing alike stylistically, pretty much define what bass playing is all about for me. They broke the oh-so-stale stereotype of always staying in the background and being subordinate to the other instruments; a "service instrument" as Stanley Clarke puts it. John Entwhistle gets an honorable mention, though The Who's music no longer works for me the way it used to. Jaco Pastorious, Stanley Clarke, et. al. were/are fantastic players, but they don't speak to me the way Squire, Schacher, and Butler do.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Anyone mention Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion yet? So many good ones already mentioned. Love it! And there is also The Chicken ;)

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X