Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well I dunnit Fender Super Champ X2

Fender Super Champ X2. On it's way from Guitar Center, should be here Thursday Or Friday next week. I also got the foot-switch with it. It took Sweetwater a full week to refund to my credit card for the Blues Junior. I will probably have to put in an Eminence Lil Buddy hemp cone speaker after I try the amp out for a few weeks with the standard Fender Speaker. That is what I did with the last one I had and regretted selling. I saved the Fender Fuze software in my computer which has been discontinued by Fender which gives options to save presets for the modeling side of the amp. This will be my grab and go amp for road trips up to Northern Ca. The next of which will happen in mid June.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the trial I did with the old one I had https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=12104751 no editing or in recording app efx just as it went in, it is exactly what I did back then, no rehearsal before the recording. I think I used my Ibanez RG321 with stock pups in that recording (maybe).

Well then, now you can go back to rocking out!!!!

I've got too many amps and need to sell a couple. I've got my Boss Katana up on craigslist but tonight I am gigging it since I can't seem to locate the footswitch for my Roland Cube 40.

I'm thinking I'll get the 50 watt Katana if I sell the 100, it's quite a bit lighter and smaller and still more amp than I need. The MkII version can provide 4 preset sounds using the same footswitch that I use for the Cube (if I find the damn thing!!!!).

Have fun!!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Here is the trial I did with the old one I had https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=12104751 no editing or in recording app efx just as it went in, it is exactly what I did back then, no rehearsal before the recording. I think I used my Ibanez RG321 with stock pups in that recording (maybe).

Nice. Warm and smooth yet clear, the way I imagine you'd like it to be, with some squeeze and just a little subtle overdrive around the edges of some of the more muscled-on notes. A combination of the characteristics of both the amp and that speaker?

I'm glad for ya!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The demo sounded good DBM and glad to hear you have that new Champ coming your way. Keep us posted on how it sounds with the stock speaker and if you are going to swap it for the hemp cone! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

They already shipped the pedal, hopefully amp probably Monday..

@Larryz The stock speaker sounds OK, the Lil' Buddy just gives it a deeper and less shrill (mellower) tone. I never broke in the stock speaker on the first one I had. I went to the Lil' Buddy almost immediately, and it took a bit of playing to break that one in. I was visiting in Northern Ca, and my niece was performing at a neighbors home up there with her then partner, a guitar player, and he used my Super Champ with the Lil' Buddy in it for that performance, and he played a bit louder than I would have, and he broke the Lil' Buddy in for me in one afternoon. As he thanked me for the loan of the amp, I thanked him for breaking the speaker in. I will probably pull the trigger on the Lil' Buddy shortly after the amp arrives.

@ Caevan, I think the recording was before the Lil' Buddy speaker got broken in. I recorded that bit a few days after putting the speaker in. The speaker got broken in truly at the gig I mentioned in the post above some weeks later.

@ Caevan, I think the recording was before the Lil' Buddy speaker got broken in. I recorded that bit a few days after putting the speaker in. The speaker got broken in truly at the gig I mentioned in the post above some weeks later.

That clip still sounds great, and like I expect YOU to sound. It must be even better now.

That clip still sounds great, and like I expect YOU to sound. It must be even better now.

The clip was actually a little rough Caev. I just recorded it to see how the SCX2 sounded recorded. I just wanted to hear the tone. I just recorded it flat without any external efx.

Amp is now on its way, now to remember all the tweaks/settings that I did on the old one in Fender Fuze. Fuze is one of those editors that has ins to the modeling of the amp that we can't get at without the software. The SCX2 is; tube power amp and modeling pre amp. It has hardware controls and some hidden software controls. Thankfully I missed the old one enough to want another one someday, so I saved the Fender Fuze install. Fender stopped offering it and discontinued it. And I think they discontinued making the amp itself. Sweetwater does not offer it anymore but GC had a few left so I pulled the trigger on it before the rest dissappear.

I may look at my old recording studio PC and see if my saved SCX2 presets are in one of those old Hard drives.

The clip was actually a little rough Caev. I just recorded it to see how the SCX2 sounded recorded. I just wanted to hear the tone. I just recorded it flat without any external efx.

That's what we ALL think and say about our own stuff. :D:thu:

I was a bit mixed-up, though, and thought that you had recently put that speaker in the new amp you're getting- that you haven't got yet. :laugh::D

DBM, do you have any links you can post of your previous Super Champ amp after the speaker was broke in? :cool:

No @Larryz that is the only demo of it, Once I recorded it for that demo, I just played it after that as a rehearsal instrument. I use all tube amps miked up for recording. The SCX2 is a hybrid modeling/tube amp.

SC X2 coming tomorrow, amp and pedal. I downloaded the Fender Fuze manual for the SCX2. and I am glad I did. It helps revise the tone of the channel 2 settings. It will also add a middle control to the channel 1 which is a clean twin type of sound. It also adds a presence control as well. I am starting to remember all the stuff I did back in 03 or 04 when I had the last one. Lots of tweaking on channel 2. I think I can add reverb to channel 1 also. I believe I can add it to channel 2 as well. I generally only use reverb a touch for my live playing, so it has several reverb options on board for that as well. I use the Super Sonic option on the overdrive channel and it rocks. I seem to remember I use a Twin 2-12 speaker option on channel 2, which sounds great as well.

Tweaking commences tomorrow or for sure on Thursday, as the wifey may be home and that precludes guitar playing while she is here. Once I have the SCX2 set up I will move my Egnater out into my climate controlled shed for jamming when she is here. Which means I can resume rehearsal every day instead of only 3 or 4 days a week, as she is home those other days.

I would run it stock for about a week and then start tweaking just to make sure it's in good shape and no return is needed. But, I know how anxious you are to get started! Since you are familiar with the amp and how to get back to stock factory settings, you may as well start having some tweaking fun today! I know what you mean about playing when the wifey is out of the home! I always gravitate to the 112 65 Deluxe with a little verb for the sweet spot. So I just bought the Deluxe Tonemaster and it stays stuck on the Fender Deluxe 112 modeling that way LoL! Keep us posted and let us know how she sounds! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Got the SCX2 today, and true to the last one it needs a speaker change, and some major tweaking. I am starting to remember how I had it set before. It is classic Fender bright on the clean channel. too bright for my old ears, but as I recall it is tweak-able. The gain channel rocks on the Super Sonic setting. the clean is far too bright for my Strat Clone as is. But on my homemade parts-caster it is decent as is. Once I put the Fender Fuze on my computer, and start to tweak, I will know more about it. I did plug it into one of my EVM 12L's and that toned the bright down a bit. I had a set of JJ 6V6's out of my Tweaker, when I replaced the old ones. But I think I threw them out. After a few weeks of trying it out on my sets, I will see if I need some JJ 6V6's and a new 12 AX7 and the eminence Lil Buddy.

The last one was super improved in tone after I changed the tubes to JJ's, put Eurotubes tube damper rings and put in the Lil Buddy. And more importantly the tweaking with Fender Fuze software, That happens tomorrow.

I do need to hook up my estimating computer to the monitor out in my shed so I can make a detailed drawing of my kitchen cabinet counter top as my wifey wants a granite counter top (About $5500 installed and custom made with a new sink). Anyways that project will slow down my tweaking with the SCX2 but I think it will come around to my taste in tone shortly after the Fuze install and hookup to the amp.

Anyways the SCX2 is far better than the Blues Jr for my taste in tone as is, and I will improve it a bunch with tweaks and new tubes and speaker. Plus I can set the BIAS in the SCX2 easily I just have to take the amp out of the cabinet (a 10 minute process) and get the old meter out and some plastic screw drivers and have at it. Easy as can be.

...Eurotubes tube damper rings...

I've used- still use- some similar Hal-O Tube Damper Rings, and they saved the day! Saved the decade, and more, to be more accurate. I put them on several microphonic problem-child preamp-tubes that otherwise sounded great, and those are still going strong in that amp (a 1x12 combo) with nary a microphonic squeal, ring or whistle MANY years later!

(Website photo, but this is what mine are and look like)

gordon_nether3_rev_dwr.jpg

DBM Good review! Sounds like the new amp is a keeper. Sounding better than the Blues Jr. from the get-go is a good thing right out of the box. The tone can only get better and having your experience with your prior SC will make the tweaking, tube and speaker changes go quickly. We'll be standing by! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Already pulled the trigger for the eminence lil buddy speaker, and orderd new tubes and power tube damper rings today. Just an expected added expense, still I will not have to add much to the $500 I got for the HRD, and I will have my rehearsal and road amp with on board effects. Guitar in one hand amp in the other, one trip in and one trip out.

Plus I have already tweaked the amp with Fender Fuze to sound like my old one did. Now to use it daily for my practice sessions. It is still a little shrill sounding, the new speaker and tubes will help with that after the Lil Buddy breaks in..

I just downloaded the how to BIAS the SCX2 from the internet. Simple as can be. (As long as you keep your hands out of the amp)(and use a plastic screw driver)(Also the multi meter leads are long enough to keep the hands out of the amp as well)

Just got doing my first set with The SCX2. I am impressed with the tones as is. Of course the new speaker and tubes will enhance the tone a bit.