Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How would a lower watt speaker affect my amp?

surfergirl

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most complicated aspect of trying different speakers is that you need to try speakers that are broken in because that is what your speaker will sound like when it is broken in.

You might not like a brand new Jensen and then after it's had a beating for a few months you might really like the sound.

If you play with your amp turned all the way up, I predict a shortened lifespan for the 25 watt Jensen. It may not go up in smoke but I bet it will start to rattle on the low notes.

If you have friends who have used speakers than maybe you can try something different just to see what it is like. I bet a Peavey Scorpion 12" would sound huge in that amp.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I would replace a stock 50 watt speaker with a 50 watt or more speaker. Usually the amp manufacturer sets up a good match for their build. Jensen makes a C12N 50 watt speaker if you are into Jensen, but make sure whatever speaker you chose will fit in your cabinet as the magnets on Jensens can be pretty big... :cool:

Ps. this one is not cheap but I really like it (it came stock in my Fender Tonemaster) $189 bucks +/-

https://www.musicalinstrumentshoppe.com/product/1697860/speaker-jensen-r-vintage-neo-12-n12k-100w/?

Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...

Gute Lautsprecher sollten in der Lage sein, das Doppelte ihrer maximalen Nennleistung zu verarbeiten. Sie sollten dennoch vorsichtig sein, wenn Sie die Lautstärke einstellen. Als Faustregel verwende ich 20â50% über der maximalen Nennleistung der Lautsprecher. ... Ein Verstärker mit einer Nennleistung von 400 Watt RMS kann also eine dynamische Leistung von 500 bis 600 Watt haben, wenn er wirklich gut ist.

Dieser Artikel (Link) hat mir einen sehr guten Ãberblick gegeben.

https://geekmusician.com/can-speakers-damage-an-amplifier/

Google Translate to the rescue. Our new friend speaks and writes in German.

"Good speakers should be able to handle twice their maximum power rating. However, you should be careful when adjusting the volume. As a rule of thumb, I use 20â50% above the maximum power rating of the speakers. ... An amplifier with a nominal power of 400 watts RMS can have a dynamic power of 500 to 600 watts if it is really good.

This article (link) gave me a very good overview.

https://geekmusician.com/can-speakers-damage-an-amplifier/ "

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Gute Lautsprecher sollten in der Lage sein, das Doppelte ihrer maximalen Nennleistung zu verarbeiten. Sie sollten dennoch vorsichtig sein, wenn Sie die Lautstärke einstellen. Als Faustregel verwende ich 20â50% über der maximalen Nennleistung der Lautsprecher. ... Ein Verstärker mit einer Nennleistung von 400 Watt RMS kann also eine dynamische Leistung von 500 bis 600 Watt haben, wenn er wirklich gut ist.

Dieser Artikel (Link) hat mir einen sehr guten Ãberblick gegeben.

https://geekmusician.com/can-speakers-damage-an-amplifier/

Welcome and thank you for very usefull link.

Thank you Kuru for the translation.

Jennifer S.

One possible difference is efficiency and full bandwidth at low volume. There was a time when high power rated speakers needed to be driven to open up, while low wattage speakers were able to better produce full range sound at low watts. This was common 40 years ago when I was into this stuff. Not sure if it still holds with modern speakers.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Class A/B and especially Class D are different in this regard, but probably the OP isn't interested in the latter. Are there any micro-tube models that made to implement Class D? That would be kind of tricky, depending on the circuit path. Probably it would work if at the pre-amp stage, and I imagine this is already true of some of the modeling amps, most of which are probably Class D so that they can be way lighter.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager