Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got a job!!!

The Real MC

When I started the job hunt, I decided to fall back on a role I had years ago that I really enjoyed: Test Engineering with LabVIEW. Good demand for those skills.

I knew the salary wasn't going to be as good as my last profession, but I was willing to compromise. I didn't want to price myself out of the market.

Dream job shows up on radar and I apply on the company site. Really good fit for the position. While that is going through, another opportunity arises from a recruiter for a different company. Similar skills. Interview #1 goes well, #2 is scheduled.

The day before interview #2 is to take place, it is cancelled. Hiring company put a freeze on hiring.

Later that same day, the talent coordinator from the 1st company I was applying to calls me and they want to schedule an interview. When asked what salary range I am seeking, I took a 20% cut. I was more than willing to relocate (Orlando FL? IN A HEARTBEAT!)

One door is closed, another is opened.

Interview is a week later with the engineering team and managers, one hour meeting was done in half an hour. Went really well. They said I will hear from the talent coordinator.

This is a worldwide company and I know they don't move fast. The position requires a secret clearance (which I have held before) and the approval process takes a while. Did not expect a reply for a few weeks.

One week after the interview, the talent coordinator calls to extend a job offer. The salary is 25% HIGHER than what I was earning at my last profession.

Whoa...! I'm a wanted man...

The position is test engineering with LabVIEW, LabWindows/CVI, and TestStand development, design and build automated test systems, and support other plants using these systems. Combination of roles from my last two professions. The target industry is military electronics and requires a secret clearance and US citizenship. That narrowed the field of qualified candidates. With so many people electing to sit at home collecting free unemployment rather than go back to work, I decided to beat them to the punch.

Since relocating from PA to FL was required, they sweetened the deal with an excellent relocation package. All moving expenses paid for, they contract a company to move my belongings (including the vehicles), they reimburse expenses for a "house hunting" trip, temporary housing and storage of belongings are reimbursed if house is not ready, the mileage/meals/lodging for my final move from PA to FL is reimbursed, they even reimburse costs of vehicle registration and driver license. Yes I am taking my cats to their new home (and they reimburse boarding).

The fact I was renting without the hassle of selling a house probably worked in my favor.

This takes a huge load off my mind about planning for moving services and logistics.

I had a nice severance package from my last employer, and socked most of it in savings. I had to replace a car and had some major vehicle repairs, but I didn't waste a penny of the severance on frivolous things. That savings was reserved for relocation and buying a house. I had zero debts for a year. The goal of my move to Mansfield last year was to live somewhere where I could survive off unemployment alone and not touch the savings. It also gave me a place where cell service and internet service was much better for job hunting.

With this offer, I don't have to touch the savings for relocation expenses. This allows me to use my full savings for a 20% down payment on a house to buy in FL. My credit record is stellar and I will have no trouble getting pre-approved.

Boy did all the pieces fall into place. I am super happy about the new adventure I am headed to with Lockheed Martin in Orlando FL.

That's why it was too good to say no.

I won't have a start date until the application is processed, background check is done, drug test is done, and secret clearance investigation is done. But in the interim a rep from the moving services will visit to assess the contents to be moved and plan logistics. I don't know yet when the move will take place, but I'm looking forward to it!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats brotha Real MC. This is awesome news. :thu:

As I mentioned last week on the Zoom call, we'll have the real party whenever you're situated in FL and have internet access. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I dated a woman for over a year who worked at Lockheed Martin in the DC area. You've already told us more about your job than she ever told me about hers.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Congratulations! Sounds like a great job and a sweet relocation package!

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

:w00t:

Congrats, man! I hope all that you're getting includes plenty of space for your full home studio. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Congrats!

I did a lot of LabVIEW development in the late 90s. We had some production test stations and we did some simple automation / report generation - probably about 20% of my time. Lovely software, easy to use. We start switching to VB using the NI plugin around 2000, then I left the company. Curious what did after I left.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760