Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Crumar (Spinet?) Organ!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_9S.htm Note that this keyboard isn't available with 61 keys.

Must be new ...

Kurzweil PC361 and PC3K6 have Fatar TP9S.

Oh, right. Or could just be a typo that they left it out. The actual picture of the action on that very page is, in fact, 61 keys.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes that page probably hasn't been updated for years. The Prophet 08 has a 61 key TP9/S too. But the main point is that you won't find the waterfall TP/8O with 49 keys - unless you take a hacksaw to it! Crumar seem to be very taken with the Yamaha Electone concept. Just look at those side panels - retro, but not in a good way.

I closed my Facebook account years ago because they have a nasty habit of suspending people that don't agree with them.

There are other platforms like Youtube that are better anyway.

Bad example. Check out Crowder's or Prager's Youtube cancellations. (If this counts as political, I apologize.)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Is it the marketing dept that depressed and colourized the high C keys on both manuals in the photo?

I saw that too. My hypothesis is that it's a bad photoshop job depicting a non-existent product.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Is it the marketing dept that depressed and colourized the high C keys on both manuals in the photo?

I saw that too. My hypothesis is that it's a bad photoshop job depicting a non-existent product.

Makes more sense than having nothing on the right side. Maybe the next draft"ll have my ashtray :wink:

Here for the gear.

Crumar spilled the beans on Facebook this morning. Saw this post in between the many posts I get about how the vaccine is a Bill Gates trojan horse.

Just kidding! Facebook doesn't allow that sort of content, which is the only reason I'm still on FB (though I'm constantly tempted to leave it anyway)

Here's their post verbatim:

It was a pleasure to read your comments, but please let us comment your comments now. The pictures you've seen are 3D concept of a new spinet-style organ we intend to make, not an actual product yet. We plan to start the manufacturing in a few months. The instrument is practically a Mojo Classic in a different style, it's even more compact (about the size and weight of a 61 key workstation), should weigh less than 14 Kg, and the expected final price should be something between the Mojo 61 and the Mojo Classic.

As you can see from the pictures below, it has the same controls as the Classic, plus two "Octave" buttons, one for each manual, so the upper manual can be shifted one octave below and the lower manual can be shifted one octave above. The rear panel is an exact copy of the Classic, with the same ins and outs. And, of course, the sound engine is based on VB3-II with the same parameter set as the Classic (and the 61).

Semi-weighted synth-action keyboards are a very good choice indeed, the response is good enough for every organ performance.

We believe it's a very good alternative for a double manual organ in a very compact size without compromising quality and sound too much.

Those who rave for a dual waterfall keyboard with two sets of drawbars, please visit www.crumar.it

Those who want a fully featured B3-like interface, we've done it more than 10 years ago.

Those who want some Frankenboard with mixed weighted/waterfall keyboards with tons of controls and connections, just try to imagine how unsuccessfull this kind of bulky, heavy and costly keyboard could be.

We know that people want more, but adding more to an instrument means increasing weight, cost, size, and the end result is something you don't really want any more, or you wouldn't buy in the first place. The modern musician wants portability and quality, that's what we aim to.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

So there you go it's a dual manual organ. They are going with synth keys but will it be the TP8/S or the TP9/S keybed? I have used my Prophet 6 as 2nd board for organ and although it is a very fast, light action, the edges are a little rough for smears. The profile on TP9/S looks better (thicker) and that's the one Fatar recommend for home organs. I get the organ thinking but what about adding pitch and mod wheels like on the DMC-122?

It was a pleasure to read your comments, but please let us comment your comments now. The pictures you've seen are 3D concept of a new spinet-style organ we intend to make, not an actual product yet. We plan to start the manufacturing in a few months. The instrument is practically a Mojo Classic in a different style, it's even more compact (about the size and weight of a 61 key workstation), should weigh less than 14 Kg, and the expected final price should be something between the Mojo 61 and the Mojo Classic.

As you can see from the pictures below, it has the same controls as the Classic, plus two "Octave" buttons, one for each manual, so the upper manual can be shifted one octave below and the lower manual can be shifted one octave above. The rear panel is an exact copy of the Classic, with the same ins and outs. And, of course, the sound engine is based on VB3-II with the same parameter set as the Classic (and the 61).

Semi-weighted synth-action keyboards are a very good choice indeed, the response is good enough for every organ performance.

We believe it's a very good alternative for a double manual organ in a very compact size without compromising quality and sound too much.

Those who rave for a dual waterfall keyboard with two sets of drawbars, please visit www.crumar.it

Those who want a fully featured B3-like interface, we've done it more than 10 years ago.

Those who want some Frankenboard with mixed weighted/waterfall keyboards with tons of controls and connections, just try to imagine how unsuccessfull this kind of bulky, heavy and costly keyboard could be.

We know that people want more, but adding more to an instrument means increasing weight, cost, size, and the end result is something you don't really want any more, or you wouldn't buy in the first place. The modern musician wants portability and quality, that's what we aim to.

Glad to hear Guido continues to know what we really don't want.

Here for the gear.

Crumar spilled the beans on Facebook this morning. Saw this post in between the many posts I get about how the vaccine is a Bill Gates trojan horse.

Just kidding! Facebook doesn't allow that sort of content, which is the only reason I'm still on FB (though I'm constantly tempted to leave it anyway)

Just saw this there. Hope they allow electric pianos on the lower manual, with a simple toggle button to change between them and the lower manual organ. Some basic controls on the right and voilá, a pretty respectable gig machine.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Waterfall is much heavier/pricier than diving board?

I don't know if you read the Facebook comments, but one of them brought up the idea of a dual manual keyboard with waterfall keys up top and hammer action on the ground floor. I think Guido was reacting to that specifically when he said, basically, that it doesn't make business sense to produce something like that.

If you read the whole FB thread it's pretty funny. 95% of comments are like "please don't do this!" and Crumar's response is "yeah, baby, we're doin' it!"

I like the idea of a sub-30 lb dual manual Mojo. I assume diving board keys because that's the only way to source a 49'er, and 49'ers are how you get the weight down. Wish EPs were included, but apparently that's not in the cards.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I would like to see a Gemini in there but driving the EP engines from the upper or lower manual or even both combined isn"t really going to cut it for most people. If it had audio in and some controller functions you could run a mobile device into it. But GM Lab seem to be on with a controller so that"s an overlap. But with synth keys give me the option of running an iOS synth from it.

My opinion, if it matters, why not update the Mojo 61 to be able to play the other instruments on the optional lower manual while playing VB3 on upper manual and call it a day. For us hardware guys this is huge. $ale$ will skyrocket! Go Guido!

Well it looks like from their Facebook post that Crumar are going to go ahead with this spinet anyway. They say they are aiming at portability and quality with it but I guess those are moveable feasts for each different musician.

For me 14kg is portable in terms of moving in and out of a vehicle but not something I could carry on public transport like my Electro.

As it"s using VB3-II the sound will be quality but I"m not sure going back to diving board keys would provide me with a quality organ playing experience. I used to use a Novation Launchkey controller with VB3 on a VMachine and then used a Hammond M100 chop for a while but I"m much happier now that I"m using waterfall keys.

As for build quality, if it"s anything like the Mojo 61 I had which crapped out on me on my first gig with it and I had to send back to the retailer twice for repair before I got them to replace it with a Nord Electro 6D, then that"s the kind of quality I can do without.

Cheers

John

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

I wonder about the ideal placement for the controls. As illustrated, it's nice that the top panel is free for stacking, and that all controls are together (at the left side). OTOH, that design would appear to make it wider (and therefore also heavier) than it might otherwise be, if for example the non-drawbar controls were either moved to the top, or moved to the empty panel on the lower right. If size/weight were the priority, either of those approaches would appear to be preferable, but bring other ergonomic concerns (and possibly cost concerns as well).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)