Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Horned Owls

We have some owls nesting a few blocks from my house in friend's back yard. I've been over there many times during the winter to try to get photos of them.

The other morning they messaged me and let me know what a baby owlet had fallen out of the nest. When I got there, I was honestly worried that it wasn't alive but before I left it sat up to get a look at me. A local Wildlife Center did come and pick him up and took him for a couple days to check him out. I've heard that he was returned to the nest safely.

51105039388_c38515544b_b.jpgGreat Horned Owl by Mike Martin, on Flickr

51128563118_552df3a931_b.jpgGreat Horned Owlet by Mike Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful images of beautiful creatures!!!!

I saw a murder of crows once, tormenting a huge owl in broad daylight, The owl was a crotch of a tree so it's back was covered. The crows harassed it from a distance, probably trying to get it to fly, where they could pick away at it.

The owl stayed where it was, none of the crows were stupid enough to get within striking distance.

Of course, I had no camera. Sometimes for me it's better to experience things. Other times it is the only option.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I was in the Everglades National Park with Mrs. Notes.

The location was Mrazek pond which is trimmed with mangroves on the south side. We were standing about 10 feet apart, on shore, between a couple of mangroves, with cameras in hand, and this Roseate Spoonbill flies over, lands at her feet, looks up at her, opens his beak wide so she can see right down its throat and starts squawking at her as if to say, "This is my fishing spot, get out!" (I like to anthropomorphize the animals).

After about 30 seconds of squawking, it flew across the water, about 15 feet away, ducked it's bill under the water and started that spoonbill foraging routine.

Leilani calls out "Did you get my picture! Did you get my picture!" but I was so into the moment, I never reached for my camera, I was just in the moment. I guess that's the difference between an amateur and a pro.

But the memory is clear!!!

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<