Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha S7X

Dave Ferris

My friend, Pete Calandra, film, tv composer and educator, who lives in upstate NY, just traded his older C7 on a new S7X. He bought it at Faust Harrison, the West Plains dealership.

I've played all the Yamaha models-- CX and the handcrafted CF and SXs. It's been awhile, before Covid lockdown, when I played the CF6 next to the SX7.

At the time I was a tad more partial to the clarity of the CF piano but man...this is friggin' gorgeous ! I did hear a tad softer and maybe sweeter tone on the SX. Fairly certain that's due to their collaboration with Bosendofer.

Under Pete's hands I'm hearing how lush and Bill Evans-ish it sounds for chords, along with the Chick-like crisp attack for single note stuff. I could be VERY happy with this piano. :2thu:

He's an extremely hard worker and I'm thrilled for him ! Recorded with a Zoom recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

NY Steinway D

Yamaha  AvantGrand N3X, P-515

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Faust Harrison is a Great Yamaha Dealer in the greater NYC area.

Is there a Yamaha S7X due to find a spot in the house, Dave?

Haha, I wish. Been lobbying but realistically for our small our house and Diane being retired and home all day, it wouldn't be fair to her, or practical, considering all the repetitious practicing I do.

The AvantGrand is a perfect fit for the household. ;)

Plus the 7'6" is a tad big. It would stick out about 6" into the archway of the adjoining room. A 7'er would be optimum, size wise. The sound would be HUGE though.

I can't believe our marriage survived when she was working at home and I was practicing 3-4 hours a day on the S6 for about 3 years. We finally built the studio out back....just in time. ;)

I am really happy for Pete. He's a very deserving guy.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

NY Steinway D

Yamaha  AvantGrand N3X, P-515

Wow, nice! Woud love to play one of these. Could be my 'lottery ticket' replacement piano (to go with the larger music room in our 'lottery ticket' replacement house :laugh:).

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Beautiful playing!

I have had my S7X for two years now. I think I posted about it over a year ago. The sound and balance of the S7X is wonderful, in my opinion, but the absolute best thing about the piano is the action. Absolutely perfect, imho. Combined with the tone and clarity and 7'6", there is a very wide range of colors and expression that can be produced. It also records very well.

I'm glad to see more YouTube videos showing up. I have a series of soundcloud recordings while playing mostly classical pieces on my S7X. I would love to hear/see more recordings/videos from other people and their S7X pianos. Thanks for sharing the videos!

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X