Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia soft synths new - Pigments 3, Model 84

johnchop

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigments 3 is the first version I've liked. And it's sort-of a free update, in that you get an introductory discount on the five sound packs (500 sounds total) for $19.99 (they're free for new buyers of Pigments 3).

Too bad their server and website are all messed up, but that's typical for release day. I can't use the sounds yet as the download is broken, but Pigments 3 itself is updated on my computer now.

As for Softube's Model 84, when I saw the name I got excited as I thought it would be a hybrid Jupiter-4/Jupiter-8, but it's just yet another Juno 106. The one from Cherry Audio is great; I don't need another one.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

$20 for 500 presets is usually worth it, depending on the presets of course.

But I find that even if you only get 5 usable ones from it, it's worth $20. I mean I can burn hours building presets.

I only wish they spent more time on building sounds that are specific to songs/bands and they labelled them that way. That would be a serious time saver.

I've purchased some of their tribute blocks of sounds, but they're very limited on what they have (Floyd, Genesis, ELP.) and I think if they packaged some more of those there's more guys like me who would easily spend $20 to save several hours programming.

And yes, last time they had a major upgrade...I think the last V collection?...their system didn't work for at least a day. I think the servers are smoking right now.

(As an interesting or boring, aside, it's very predictable how hot the servers are because because the transfer of information expends energy and there's no way around it. I read a non-fiction book called, "The Black Hole Wars" about physics and black holes and eventually the nature of EVERYTHING and it's stunning the amount of physical properties that INFORMATION has and how it interacts with the world of physics. Transferring information causes a very predictable release of energy and there's no way around it. It's why your CPU fan is so critical. The world is a strange place. I highly recommend the book and there's actually no math required to understand the premise but it is quite mind bending.)

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Some really good new banks that were on their website earlier today and then disappeared, including the five new ones for Pigments 3 but especially the new one for Brian Eno and a few other artist-specific ones that are another step up in quality. There were also a bunch for sale, but as I can't get Analog Lab V to open on my desktop either, I don't know if it was an old sale that I missed and that is now ending.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

Some really good new banks that were on their website earlier today and then disappeared, including the five new ones for Pigments 3 but especially the new one for Brian Eno and a few other artist-specific ones that are another step up in quality. There were also a bunch for sale, but as I can't get the general preset bank loader and store to open on my desktop either, I don't know if it was an old sale that I missed and that is now ending. I forget the name of that app. MiniLab? It's on Version V (Roman numeral) and is incompatible with Version 4 (Arabic numeral).

Arturia started pretty small. Growth can be "interesting". As you grow you will need more server power but that takes money and sometimes everything is fine most of the time and then a sale or introduction (or both) triggers a virtual stampede and your adequate servers become worthless and weak. It happens to larger companies too, as long as there is room for growth and bean counters are watching the budget this problem will be part of life.

Try again tomorrow, maybe the rush will have slowed down by then.

They may have had to take some products down to slow the massive influx of downloads before the server room burst into flames.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The Prince "Purple Reigns" voice bank sounds especially good, but I'll wait for iy to go on sale as it's $14.99 (unless I need it before then).

I was able to download the five individual sound banks from their website just now, unlike earlier today or yesterday, but they still don't show up in Analog Lab V, and don't have product icons when loaded into Pigments 3. They do once again show up on the sound banks purchasing page at their website.

The sound banks that were half price yesterday (until you actually tried to click to buy, at which point web errors were encountered), are back to full price, but still marked as on sale, yet with the sale price matching the list price.

I guess it's a work in progress at the moment, so I'll check back tomorrow as well. I'm all in for "Purple Reigns" (Prince) and "Stardust" (Bowie) if they get discounted again this week.

To elaborate on why I didn't like Pigments until now: it seemed harsh before. Now it seems warm and round, yet perfectly capable of aggressiveness and sharp edges.

This is similar to how Camel Audio's Alchemy was very harsh even after a hundred hours of fine-tuning at my end -- especially vs. Cameleon 5000 -- until Apple bought them.

The first Logic Pro X version of Alchemy was already better, but then the next major rev brought it to the warmth of Cameleon 5000, and I could finally recreate my presets.

I really shouldn"t post from a phone. Meant to put Arturia and Softube synths in the title.

Anyway, agree on DC106 being all the 106 you may need.

I went for the $20 Pigments soundset. Definitely worth the admission price. Very modern sounds and textures in there.

Pigments doesn"t sound like anything else I own. Very cool synth.

I make software noises.

I popped for the Pigments Soundset. I went to the Arturia Software Center and updated Pigments to 3, also updated Analog Lab, and a couple other updates I didn't have yet.

I have a receipt from Arturia on my purchase of the Soundset, but I can't see it anywhere in My Products on My Arturia page. Do you have to access/download/load it in from Analog Lab V? TIA

Kronos 88 | MODX7 | Wavestate | Crave | KeyLab 61 | CPS SSv3 | MacBook Pro | MainStage | More VSTs than I'll ever figure out

www.thehenrysmusic.com

You'll need to download five installers (one for each sound set) from the Arturia site. You should see serial number and an unlock code on the My Products page, and from there you can register a new product and get access to the downloads.

I know... kinda lame but not awful.

I make software noises.