Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos discontinued?

44 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Internally the Nautilus still has the 10 year old Kronos internals, sure a few interface changes and a few updated sounds, but basically the same.    

So, same old Intel Atom processor industry mainboard inside ? Really ?

🤔

A.C.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/13/2022 at 12:57 PM, Docbop said:

As the article pointed out more are using computers and devices instead of workstations.   So how much of a workstation market is there anymore.  Something to ponder over breakfast (or whatever meal time it is where you live.)

The "workstation" features, such as a built-in sequencer and/or audio recorder, is really what's not being used anymore. But those huge libraries of sounds are still very useful, to have them all packed inside a single keyboard. I don't think that will be going away anytime soon. It's the main thing that's kept me away from pricey "specialty" boards like Nord, or Korg Vox Continental, (etc.), that have one "main" sound, plus a few add-ons that are not as high-quality as the "main" sound. I like to have hundreds and hundreds of high quality sounds at my fingertips (i.e. like Kurzweil).

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

1 hour ago, synthizen2 said:

It's the main thing that's kept me away from pricey "specialty" boards like Nord, or Korg Vox Continental, (etc.), that have one "main" sound, plus a few add-ons that are not as high-quality as the "main" sound. I like to have hundreds and hundreds of high quality sounds at my fingertips (i.e. like Kurzweil).

I don't think I'd say Nord's have one main sound with that library of available free sounds and they keep increasing the RAM in their boards so more can be loaded at a time.    My RD-2000 has quite a collection of sounds and it stage piano.  Yamaha has only their own pianos, but I haven't had a chance to do a deep dive on one to see all the variations there are.   

I can see companies going more of the stage piano route than workstations and starting to add more sounds and live performance features like a YC or Nord Stage3.    It's going to take quite awhile for the supply chain issues to find a new normal.   Until then developing software is going to be easier to create and distribute than to acquire components, build and sell hardware.  So I think hardware companies are going to be trimming product lines down.