Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music you listen to for relaxation

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Aside from that...how 'bout (and maybe a few of the artists have already been mentioned)...but the Windham Hill catalog...[/b][/quote] I never really got into the Windham Hill stuff, although I've tried... I like some of the melodic ECM stuff from the '70s (which I think the Windham Hill label kind of patterned themselves after), like Keith Jarrett's [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=685706681/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=JARRETT*KEITH/itemid=816195]Koln Concert[/url] and Ralph Towner/Gary Burton's [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=685706681/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=TOWNER*RALPH/itemid=1331164]Matchbook[/url] . Matchbook is especially nice -- it's only 12-string acoustic and vibes... I've never heard that combination of instruments on any other recording. Great songs and playing, too. This message has been edited by popmusic on 08-10-2001 at 03:29 PM

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by strat0124: [b] WOW....I had forgotten about Mike Oldfield....his album FIVE MILES HIGH.....just blows me away. [/b][/quote] Damn, reading that post I was just about to say the same thing. My dad turned me onto his material but I never bought an album. Amazing stuff!
meh

How about: Ian Anderson - The Secret Language of Birds. AND Classical (baroque-style) My 2 choices for blocking out outside noise while I program my computer. Other music distracts me from programming but these 'coat and soothe' - sounds like pepto-bismo but it works.

this might sound weird but when Tool's Undertow first came out I was in australia and it was my only tape so i always was listening to it on the bus. Now i can fall asleep to tool and have the best sleep it's like i get all my agression out so i just rest better. - lol give it a try

Wow, lotta good stuff mentioned, many I need to give a try. I chill out to Michael Franks, Enya, and some Fat Burger cuts. Most of all (about 4 nights a week) my wife and I fall asleep to a digital recording I did from the porch of a cabin. It was out in the Missouri woods, and I managed to capture a wonderful rain storm in STEREO. THAT'S soooooooo relaxing!

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Well I must just be weird, but I very rarely listen to music to relax. Music just gets me too excited! [/b][/quote] Ditto! Even the more "laid-back" artists, like Nick Drake, keep me on the edge of my seat. However, when my bi-polar disorder is in full swing, and I need to relate to somebody, I put some Bob Mould in the CD player. I can't sit still while I listen, and sometimes it even brings me to tears (go ahead and laugh!), but I always feel better after.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Well, I kind of agree with Lee. I don't listen to popular (Jazz, Rock, R&b, Country, Zydeco, Techno, etc.etc.) to relax - because if I like it, it engages my attention, and if I don't like it I turn it off! I DO listen to symphonic (Classical, Baroque, Romantic, etc. etc.) but only very specific pieces relax me - Neptune from Holst's Planets, 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th, Allegre's Miserere, selections from Menotti's "Amahl & the Night Visitors" (O.K.- that's opera, different animal). In fact, the only time I make mix CDs is specifically for different "music to decompress/fall asleep by" Scott

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Well I must just be weird, but I very rarely listen to music to relax. Music just gets me too excited! Which is fine because I have a naturally pretty laid back personality anyway. And I can't stand music that is supposed to be "wallpaper", it doesn't relax me, it really sets my teeth on edge. Most music that was made for this purpose really annoys or bores the hell out of me so I don't listen to it at all. I do find the sounds of nature soothing so I like to go hiking when I need to chill, and let the sounds of the birds and running water relax me. About the closest thing to relaxing music I listen to is classical, and even a lot of the classical music I like is more of the "stirring" variety than relaxing! --Lee[/b][/quote] Hi Lee I've often wanted to reply to one of your admirably focussed and perceptive posts, but have baulked 'cos I've come in at no 210 or somesuch... You really must check out relaxing music...I always found Keith Moons drumming strangely relaxing...a kinda "calm in the eye of the storm" vibe. Anything by J.S. Bach (especially interpreted by Glenn Gould, Joanna McGregor or Andras Schiff) blows up my pelmet...Chet Baker's version of "My Funny Valentine" is sublime...... I too, like to go hiking....and fetch up at the nearest Scottish pub, with a blazing log-fire and 234 single malts.....nice!! All the best Ade

[quote]Originally posted by strat0124: [b] Ted....you're crackin me up. In that you know that bit from Monty Python shows your age man!!! [/b][/quote] Monty Python, being *truly* a brilliant thing, is ageless. I've encountered kids currently as young as 13 that can recite the lumberjack song, can explain why a parrot might be pining for the fiods, or knows the fate of Mr. Creosote. Actually, I've always thought of Python as being a quite straight forward test of the potential sophistication of one's intellect. A kid into Python is probably a pretty bright kid. Signed, Mr. Arthur Luxury Yacht ------------------ [b]New and Improved Music Soon:[/b] http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[*]Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries . [*]Randy Newman - Soundtrack from Parenthood (As wonderful a recording as it is great music.) . [*]Sounds of Wood & Steel, Vol. I - Doyle Dykes, Michael Hedges, Lawrence Juber, Steve Stevens, Clint Black, Vince Gill & Amy Grant,etc. . [*]James Taylor - LOTS and LOTS of songs . [*]Me - Lilly's Song, Sparkle Shoes, various JT, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Pink Floyd...
Actually, I do have to be careful what I listen to for relaxation, or I end up, like Lee Flier, getting pumped up instead of relaxed! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived