Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WIDI U-Host by CME-Pro

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Yamaha UD-BT01 and MD-BT01, and a Quicco Sound mi.1, and have never had issues with any of them. This box seems to do some of that, but the deeper explanation is very unclear. More research is required.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Its cool they"re addressing this major pain in the butt - looks like a decent effort to tie all types of MIDI devices over Bluetooth.

The new device is designed for USB MIDI devices, thus the 'U" in WIDI U-Host. The original WIDI Master was designed for MIDI DIN devices, but it left USB MIDI devices out of the loop. Will be nice to have a solution for all MIDI devices over Bluetooth. We will probably need to get a U-Host for each USB MIDI device (e.g. computer, keyboard, controller), especially for the computer, to get the full low-latency benefits.

The big selling points for me (if true):

1. Can directly connect 2x or more USB MIDI instruments with 3ms latency.

2. Bypasses high-latency Bluetooth polling interval in computer OS.

3. MIDI Thru / Merge over Bluetooth

• 1 month later...

It sounds like they"ve implemented the most recent Bluetooth tech/standard in hardware following the midi assoc.spec which helps them get latency down to 3ms under best situations. Their hardware is in addition to/instead of your computer"s existing Bluetooth radio.

That"s how I understand it anyway. I think you then need their other Bluetooth midi devices around your keyboard setup.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The original WIDI devices are for MIDI DIN. These new devices are for USB devices. All devices supposedly lower latency and jitter over Bluetooth (BLE MIDI).

WIDI Bud Pro

- plugs into a USB Host (e.g. Mac, iPad, iPhone or Kenton MIDI Host)

- there was an older WIDI Bud which could only connect with 1x device at a time, this new Pro version can connect with multiple devices

WIDI UHost

- plugs into anything and turns it into a Host (e.g. any of the devices listed above, plus: keyboards, synths, controllers, sequencers)

I just ordered the WIDI Master a few hours ago to go with my Mojo 61. I was given an 11" iPad Pro as payment for doing a tax return for a neighbor and like it a lot. Never used an IOS anything before but I've read a lot about how good they sound with the various instrument apps. My use will be with the Mojo to give me the usual other sounds we all need to go with the organ. I also have the optional lower manual. The Mojo has two midi in's but only one out which has to to go the lower manual. Do I need to use some kind of midi splitter for this and if so how does that work?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I have a Yamaha UD-BT01 and MD-BT01, and a Quicco Sound mi.1, and have never had issues with any of them. This box seems to do some of that, but the deeper explanation is very unclear. More research is required.
The Yamaha and Quicco always need computers/IOS devices but All these new Bluetooth MIDI devices by CME-Pro can connect midi devices without PC/IOS.

• 3 weeks later...