Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeez, what a bunch of losers.

If you've paid any attention you've noticed how many of us, or our near and close acquaintanences have some physical malady or another.

Looks to me like we're all a bunch of broken down reprobates.

Several forumites have posted something about their issue, or a problem with a relative or acquaintance in the near past. Some of the good vibes from the forum members has, apparently done some good, albiet, maybe only in raising spirits.

How about y'all???

Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, I'm not looking for sympathy. I've had, and have, my prayers and best wishes & doin' just fine, thank you.

I'm a cancer survivor with other, physical, multiple afflictions, including that dental thing.

The wonderful wifey has some brain malfunctions due to a Grand Mal Seizure and Epilepsy, along with some physical ailments.

The dreaded stepson is bipolar.

The only half way right person in my immediate family is stepdaughter who has soccer related physical problems.

We're a freaking mess.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Sunday Dak ! :wave:

Yep I've got a sore heel/arch that is keepin me from runnin - my mainstay for exercise. I've taken up swimmin recently to get the body movin again...I hate havin a hitch in my getalong. Most days just a couple of things hurt though so that's a good day...

There - that should help everyone feel good ! :cool:

I just got over a cold that lasted about a week. At least were not about to be beheaded in Iraq somewhere! I hear they have a marine now that Bush is in Turkey. Something tells me its about to hit the fan.

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Dak, they say that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. What I think though is that it flat out wears us out. So, nothing new on the home front? Still dealing with the stepson? Actually, I think the real problem is going to be your model/actress/soccer daughter. How in the world are you going to keep tabs on her during her teen years? You might have to send to her the farm for the summer and see how she like Karlsrue.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Uh yeah, diabetes, heart disease, adhesive capsulitis in right shoulder, two bad knees(cartilage issues) toe nail fungus, its hell getting old! But I stil rock ;)

Lyrics. Wasted space between solos.

I can't tell you, but I can play it for you.

Jeez dak,

Four simple things we all have to do.

1. You have to be born.

2. You have to get sick!

3. You have to get older.

4. You have to die.

We are not losers, we have to do this. And if you are smart, you have to praise God. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

God love ya, Dak...

Hey, we're here to walk each other through, ya know. I don't have a pain-in-the-ass stepson. Mine is my nephew...he should thank God I'm down here. He's ripped me off big time...and I'll have to tear his testicles off next time I see him. Haven't seen him for lessee...two or three years now. But I know where he lives.

I've talked about the Missus' problems with Al. Al K. Hall. Thank God she hasn't had a binge since probably St. Patrick's Day...but, I'm sure it'll come.

My own health is, for the time being (knock on wood) relatively good...but, I'm well aware that that could be taken at any time. I had the knee thing last fall. I'm wrestling with finger tendon problems (trigger finger...very scary for someone who's in love with the guitar)...but, for the time being, no heart problems, no cancer or diabetes...and I do thank God for that (nod to KC Bass)..and what's even more important, my family's health is relatively good. Oh, Andrew has ulcerative colitis...kept him out of the Army, but he hasn't had a flareup in awhile. So, we're just hanging in there, ya know? :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Oooooh, no, we're losers if we have health problems? The pool for "loser" keeps getting larger and larger! :D

I'm very lucky, or blessed, or something.

I'm closin' in on the half-century, but outside of a having a few more minor aches and pains than I used to have, the ol' machine is holdin' up pretty well.

The only age-related-complex issues I have are presbyopia and (ahem) a 'rhoid or two. (Was that TMI?) :P

Don't have any family issues either. Or rather, I AM the family issue. :cool:

And my woman is swell.

I'm much better off than I deserve to be.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Yeah, it's hell getting old. I turned 54 a couple days ago, with prostate cancer (hopefully in remission), severe arthritis in my knees, gout or arthritis in my hands (luckily, it doesn't affect my guitar playing), need major dental work, and I'm big as a house. Why my cholesterol is okay, I'll never know! I told my doctor last week, if I live to be 70, I can't imagine the aches and pains I'll have then. And they're the Golden Years?!! :confused:

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Funny I should read this today. I'll be 35 in a month, and largely I think I'm in a lot better health than when I was in my 20's. Thanks to diet and exercise, there's about 40 less pounds of me to carry around, I drink sparingly, don't smoke, or use illegal drugs.

But on some days, like today, I feel like a dog shat in my heart. Lotsa fatigue, often depression. Today in particular could have something to do with the PA system (4-man job) I moved by myself last night... getting in and out of this venue involved several half-flights of stairs and multiple courtyards of every schleppin' musician's worst enemy: cobblestone. Of course I also had to move my own keyboards... and play 'em all night. I was also frustrated with what seemed like everyone from the client to the parking lot attendant having nothing better to do than ride herd on me. The three margaritas I had over the course of the entire evening were just enough to make me brave in the wrong way, i.e. I decided I was the Incredible Hulk when it came to the load out. In my mood, it actually felt good to throw 150-lb Crest amp racks, JBL MR series subs amd mains, and several Mackie 450's into the van, and if there is even an anatomically safe way to do that solo, I'm sure I avoided it.

So I got outta there in record time, feeling very capable and macho. ("Hulk move this pig by himself! Hulk keep money of stoner crew that not show up! Raaarrr!")

Today I'm sore as hell. Walking around the apartment is like "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow." And still an inner voice admonishes me for skipping the gym. At least the Ben & Jerry's "Karamel Sutra" in the freezer remains sealed... for now.

Wow, that was a rant. Not trying to take away from anyone who has more real problems either. I feel pretty broken down today, and just really am identifying with this thread.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

I'll be 35 in a month

What an old fart you are Stephen. I only got you by 20+ years. :D

Two words for the pain my friend. Ben Gay! :eek:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I have arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and something wrong with my knees (dont really know what). I also get these chest pains every so often that just come on all of a sudden and go away after a few minutes.

All this at 17... :rolleyes:

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

I'm praying for my mom every day. She's having issues with her back problems, and a bone spur.

My dad suggested years ago that she get this taken care of, instead of just visiting a chiropractor every so often. I only hate the fact that she hid her problems from him and the nuclear family for so long. :( I just hope her threapy sessions make for some improvements soon. I wouldn't be surprised if surgery became a distinct possibility. It's amazing; she and my dad are virtually the same age. they're only five days apart in their birthdays.

He's taken good care of himself in recent years, while my mom's health has slowly declined. What a dilemma. There are other issues at play, but I won't mention them here.

The way I look at it, anyone over 35 is a winner because we've outlived most of our ancestors.

Even as recently as 1900, the average life expectancy in America had only risen to 47 years old, so we'll probably even outlive most of our modern ancestors as well.

(Even so, none of this diminishes my sympathy for the illnesses mentioned here.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

There are two major causes of illness and disease.

#1 is lack of execrcise. You have to do it. or you will pay the price sooner or later.You have to do it. or you will pay the price sooner or later. Our bodies were made to move around. I think a lot of people just live in their heads, and think their body is some secondary consideration. I'm sure you see the fallacy in that.

#2, and close behind, is BAD DIET. You are what you eat, and when you eat processed shit made in a factory, your health will suffer. Sugar and white flour, hold very little, if any nutritional value. Here\'s an interesting link. I like a lot of the things Mercola says, check out that site.

It's estimated, and I agree with this, 70% of all illness and disease is caused by lack of exercise, and bad diet. Most people could live a long healthy life, if they took care of these two things. You don't have to be a health freak to be healthy, but you do have to be aware of what you're eating, and what you need to eat, and you do have to exercise.

You cannot rely on the FOOD INDUSTRY to tell you what to eat. They don't give a rat's ass about your health, they're just trying to make a profit. If they found out rat's asses were low carb, however you'd be seeing boxes of those on the grocery store shelves. Uhmmmmmm, rat's asses, kind of like pork rinds.

You hear people say all the time "I'm too old for that". What they really mean is they're too out of shape, or burnt out, for that. Whiny ass people piss me of.

So........get off your ass, and...start eating better, because..... your life depends on it.

Usually BAD HEALTH doesn't just happen. It's created........by you.

Do you guys really need me to tell you this? Did you have a mama, or were you raised by wolves?

[Edited in the interest of Science]

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

The way I look at it, anyone over 35 is a winner because we've outlived most of our ancestors.

Even as recently as 1900, the average life expectancy in America had only risen to 47 years old, so we'll probably even outlive most of our modern ancestors as well.

(Even so, none of this diminishes my sympathy for the illnesses mentioned here.)

Best,

Geoff

I like your outlook Geoff, although sometimes I wish my life expectancy was a lot shorter. My self, I'm doing pretty well except for a couple small items. My lower back has gotten bad and the spine had decided to twist on me. They can't fix this problem so they shoot me with steroidal injections. This is a bummer for a guy who likes physical work, so I just put up with a lot of pain and sometimes walk like a 90 year old man. My right shoulder is hamberger. They may be able to fix that, but I don't play softball or basketball anymore so I don't know if I care. I had a serious bout with depression a couple years ago and got rather suicidal. My wife who seems to think I'm worth keeping around (I think she needs me to open stuck jar lids) got me in to a doc who gave me pills. This spring I was getting lathargic and ever so energyless. So then the doc decided I needed another pill to boost the other pill. Then I was sick all the time. Two weeks ago I finally threw away all the pills. I figure it ain't no pill and it ain't no doc that's going to bring me back, it's me. So to hell with depression. I refuse to accept it again. However, you take my last 3 years job history and my arnrey attitude and it's not easy finding work. So I do sympathize with the struggles of others. What webs we get caught up in. Some of our own making! :freak:

bbach

People really need to come to terms with their fucked up diets. Everybody supposedly knows junk food is bad for them, but I think they don't realize HOW bad it is for them, and it is a culmative effect. Sure you can live off of bad food, but eventually it catches up with you, and the majority of depression, and diabetes, etc., etc, can be traced to improper diet.

Everybody knows this, but they act like it's something that just happens. People eat doughnuts, and french fries, and milkshakes as a main part of their diet for 30 years, and get 50 lbs. overweight and then when they get Diabetes, think it's something that just happened.

Sure... there's some illness and disease that people are predisposed to, BUT MOST OF IT IS NOT! Most of it is preventable, AND most of it is treatable, and/or curable by the same two things, proper diet and exercise.

As an adjunct to You can't rely on The Food Industry to tell you what to eat, You can't rely on the Medical Industry to tell you what's healthy for you. They are FIRST and foremost An industry and one of a doctor's major functions these days is as an outlet for pharmaceutical companies to ply their overpriced wares, and overpriced, is really an understatement.

I'm 61 and I have no problems with my health. I don't smoke and drinking is limited to a couple of beers and an occasional glass of whine and I like the taste of Jack Daniels every now and then. I make daily (long) walks with the wife and dog.

I use vitamines and anti oxidants (Q10) for many years now and I feel like when I was 40. I can still touch the floor with my elbows when my feet are flat on the floor.

I have worked for many employers and in very stressful jobs. I was having serious pain in the chest and got a burnout in 1992.

I quit my job and got into music full time and never got any pain again.

My family is getting very old, I have aunts and oncles in their nineties, both on my father and mother's side of the family. My mother died when she was 59 because of a mistake in the hospital, my father died at the age of 73, but he had smoked most of his life and died from lungcancer.

Quitting my dayjob and going into the (studio)music business is the best thing I've ever done for my health. If I'd continued my stessful dayjob, I probably would be suffering from heartproblems now, or maybe worse.

I guess I'm blessed.

Peace to all of you.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

People really need to come to terms with their fucked up diets. Everybody supposedly knows junk food is bad for them, but I think they don't realize HOW bad it is for them, and it is a culmative effect. Sure you can live off of bad food, but eventually it catches up with you, and the majority of depression, and diabetes, etc., etc, can be traced to improper diet.

Everybody knows this, but they act like it's something that just happens. People eat doughnuts, and french fries, and milkshakes as a main part of their diet for 30 years, and get 50 lbs. overweight and then when they get Diabetes, think it's something that just happened.

Sure... there's some illness and disease that people are predisposed to, BUT MOST OF IT IS NOT! Most of it is preventable, AND most of it is treatable, and/or curable by the same two things, proper diet and exercise.

As an adjunct to You can't rely on The Food Industry to tell you what to eat, You can't rely on the Medical Industry to tell you what's healthy for you. They are FIRST and foremost An industry and one of a doctor's major functions these days is as an outlet for pharmaceutical companies to ply their overpriced wares, and overpriced, is really an understatement.

I have to agree on that front. The old sloggan "you are what you eat" does hold true. A decent diet and an exercise routine can do wonders for our aging bodies. I do like some butt sittin time tho. :D

bbach

i'm in the best shape of my life at 31 largely because i do what the Wewus tells me to do ;)

my son is a leukemia survivor. watching someone you love fight cancer will bring the world into focus awfully quick. no one in my family takes their health for granted anymore.

so i'm in the gym four days a week lifting weights, i run about 12 miles a week, play indoor soccer, and eat right.

and every single time i look at my son, i'm filled with renewed thankfulness.

Yeah, I agree with Wewus' posts. Also with sign's - the usual times that I've had health problems have been when I've been under intense stress, usually from job conditions. Sometimes you just have to get out of whatever situation you're in and do something else, even if it seems impossible. Without your health, you won't be able to work anyway.

I tend to take health problems, including depression, as a sign that I need to change something in my life or am not being true to myself in some way. Which can be a bitch, because being "true to yourself" vs. what you're "supposed" to do according to society can be two very different things, and it's REALLY hard to change when you've got the inertia of social convention working against you constantly. But if you don't do what you gotta do it'll come back to bite you in the ass.

My sympathies to those here who have really serious health problems... a good friend of mine has breast cancer and just had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago, and it's been very hard on her mentally as well as physically. :( Been tough for me to see her like this, because I've known her 15 years she's always been a rock to me. They reconstructed her breast though, which although it makes the surgery more traumatic, long term is way better for her mental well being. Apparently a lot of women who have to have a mastectomy, become insanely depressed and suicidal for at least 6 months afterward. So far, with the reconstructed breast my friend doesn't feel too depressed. Hopefully this and a couple of rounds of chemo will knock out the cancer, the docs seem optimistic about it.

"#2, and close behind, is BAD DIET. You are what you eat, and when you eat processed shit made in a factory, your health will suffer"

That cliche finally makes sense to me. I don't have the best diet but the way you put that is motivating.

Now I need the kick in the (_(__).

It's a shame how used we can get to feeling so bad from overweight, out of shape, etc.

I've got only one real bummer, physically. A condition called peripheral neurophathy. It's a very weird problem that effects only my feet so far. The nerves are hyper-sensitive and unpredictable. Results in numbness, various types of pain, some compromise to my balance.

Diabetics and alcoholics are the main candidates for this problem. But there are also a whole bunch of people who get it for no discernable reason (like me). I have to be a lot more sedentary, which makes it really hard to not gain weight.

I go the gym 3-4 times a week, plus I ride my bike a lot. So I'm in okay shape, pulse about 55bpm, blood pressure way low. But I need to shake the extra weight, maybe 20-30 lbs.

I'm glad I like to exercise 'cause I like my food way too much......

M Peasley

Archived