Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ok,let's talk about "mutt"lange....

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, AC/DC sounds like Shania Twain. Very much so.

Don't listen to the song... listen to the production. Mutt's stamp is very noticeable on backing vocals. Listen to Shania and Def Leppard for a better comparison.

Mutt gives hyper-depth to certain sources. Vox and guitars are way up front. He likes big drums. He like verb on backing vox. He likes smooth but nearly unnoticeable bass lines and sounds. He is almost the antithesis of a minimalist producer, without putting such a big impact on the song itself as opposed to a guy like Trevor Horn.

- Jeff

Early on, when I began surfing the net, I came upon someone listing himself as MuttLange in AOL chat rooms. When I attempted to ask if he was, indeed, Mutt Lange, he refused to reply, then disappeared. Given Mutt's penchant for privacy despite his celebrity and that of his wife, I think it really was him. Too bad we couldn't have a conversation. :(

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Then again, if I wanted to be inconspicuous and I were Mutt Lange, I probably wouldn't use "muttlange" on an online service that provides five different names.

AOL Chat Room:

Fantasticsound@aol.com: Hey, so aren't you Mutt Lange, producer of Def Leppard and AC/DC? Wow!!

Muttlange@aol.com: Oh, shiste!! You freakin' told you? Look, I just want to be left alone!!

Thanks for backing me up on that one, Wease.

For even more application, listen to the Corrs' album "In Blue".

when the guitars kick in, some songs could be Def Leppard with a female vocalist.

I am not knocking Lange. It's just that he has a very definite, marked 'sound', in much the same way (like someone else mentioned) Trevor Horn does. And if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Horn, because his work 'breathes' a little more with the individual artist than Mutt's does...for me, it's "___, produced by T. Horn" versus "a Mutt lange Production, featuring Shania/AC/Leppard/Corrs/whoever the record company deems worthy".

What's amazing to me is how, given the nature of AC/DC, their guitars could be any more 'up front' than they already are; Lange somehow seems to make it happen. Kinda strange.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Then again, if I wanted to be inconspicuous and I were Mutt Lange, I probably wouldn't use "muttlange" on an online service that provides five different names.

AOL Chat Room:

Fantasticsound@aol.com: Hey, so aren't you Mutt Lange, producer of Def Leppard and AC/DC? Wow!!

Muttlange@aol.com: Oh, shiste!! You freakin' told you? Look, I just want to be left alone!!

He could of at least tried to throw us off a little, like 'luttmange@aol.com' or something.
my band: Mission 5

AOL Chat Room:

It's a bit hard to explain, but I got the feeling he hadn't thought it through before using that handle, but quickly realized he'd have to abandon it. The whole chatroom thing seemed to be v-e-r-y new to him at the time, whoever the poster may have been. His audio advice to several people prior to his abrupt disappearance seemed right in line with something I'd expect to hear from Mutt.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

AOL Chat Room:

It's a bit hard to explain, but I got the feeling he hadn't thought it through before using that handle, but quickly realized he'd have to abandon it. The whole chatroom thing seemed to be v-e-r-y new to him at the time, whoever the poster may have been. His audio advice to several people prior to his abrupt disappearance seemed right in line with something I'd expect to hear from Mutt.
It was Shania.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Early on, when I began surfing the net, I came upon someone listing himself as MuttLange in AOL chat rooms. When I attempted to ask if he was, indeed, Mutt Lange, he refused to reply, then disappeared. Given Mutt's penchant for privacy despite his celebrity and that of his wife, I think it really was him. Too bad we couldn't have a conversation. :(

Setting aside other issues of this thread for a moment, I'd suggest that it wasn't him.

Given his "penchant for privacy", if it had been him, would he've advertised his presence?

The quick withdrawal may've been due to someone wanting to evade confrontation about an assumed name.

Back to the main topic, I admit that I've never really heard enough of any of the work in question to have studied it---nor do I plan to any time soon---so please excuse my earlier somewhat flip remark.

There is, however, a new thread [ click here ] that suggests that on some recordings S Twain's performances include some clams.

How's that fit in with anyone's view of his production?

Archived