Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw the "Bad Boys of Boston" (Aerosmith) last night....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what that is, but it's surprising that they'd have poor sound. Cheap Trick is always good, I think. I like the '70s Aerosmith (first album, Rocks,`etc.), but don't like the new Aerosmith so much even though I think Tyler is singing really really well.

Not that I know of. Thye were filming a tune for the upcoming "get Shorty" sequel with some bimbo singing "Cry'n" With steven, she couldn't sing for sh*t, but she looked good. After doing the song 3x it got a bit borish....

Mostly the did the older, pre breakup tunes, and indeed rocked, however the over the top production could have been utilized much better.

The 80+' thrust out into the audience, with the second drumkit (sitting there covered through the cheaptrick set) was a bit premadonna. They did two songs on it at the top of the show, and it dissappeared in about 15 seconds when they were done. Given they too 45 minutes do do the change from Cheap Trick, certainly with the dozens of crew milling around stage they could have had a coupel take 2 minutes to reset it, rather than make the CT fans with great seats look around it.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Standells, Schloz, Taylor.

Those are acts I'd pay to see.

The latest Guitar One, has their emminances discussing getting away from the pop-esqueness of the last decades.

Took them long enough.

Not that the hits were not great ones but, story goes that several were co-opted not written by said band.

That's not unusual either.

Good for them, let's hope like Scholz and company, they saved their money.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by where02190:

L'Acoustics V-DOSC, the ultimate in Line Array systems. A monkee can mix on them and sound good.

Ya think? :D

http://www.pcshock.com/BoybandEmporium/Monkees/Images/group00.jpg

Oh, and and I agree that Cheap Trick are just awesome nowadays, have seen them several times recently.

I haven't seen Aerosmith recently, but by all accounts they always put on a great show, and yeah, Tyler's voice is a freak of nature. I'd love to see 'em if it wasn't so freakin expensive.

Thanks for the spell check and carrer data for Mr. Tom.

I prefer the macinations of the folks from Heart for that era.

ALos, does anyone ever speak about Alvin (Not Albert) Lee these days?

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

reading that Cheap Trick were awesome last night is like rubbing salt on an open wound. I wish I could've been there, but didn't get a ticket in time (which I know is my own fault).

I saw them last year in Somerville, MA and they were great then as well.

Aerosmith tends to disappoint. I saw them once at a festival I was working at. They played only 5 songs. What a bummer.

cheap are always great. even now. go figure. aerosmith on the other hand, is well....., they were rarely ever that good live. (and i'm a big fan) texas jam is a good example of how bad they can be... :)

since the "blues" tanked, it will be interesting to see what comes next. probably more dianne warren-penned power ballads...

frankly, they should have released the "real" blues record they recorded 12 years ago and was for some reason shelved. :)

-d. gauss

Saw Aerosmith only once and that was at the Forum in '75. Seemed like a promissing up and comming band back then. Mott the Hoople opened followed by Montrose(the drummer had this wierd short spikey haircut in the pre-punk days) then Aerosmith. Perry was playing a black Les Paul custom.

Almost heard them at what is now called Angel Stadium back in '77 or so. I was hanging out in the parking lot and these four guys parachuted in behind the stage, it was some upstart band called Van Halen.

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Originally posted by d gauss:

since the "blues" tanked, it will be interesting to see what comes next. probably more dianne warren-penned power ballads...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were so good at that hard rock blues boogie stuff. You would think that with Jet and White Stripes and stuff like that showing that people have a real hunger for blues-based rock, etc., Aerosmith would do well by going back to their strengths.

"Astro, do we know eachother?" - where02190

doubtful. I'm 23, live in Townsend, MA. I do live sound primarily in Fitchburg; but, freelance and mix here & there. Some freelance studio engineering in lunenburg, MA. I don't think our paths have crossed.

The summer I saw Aerosmith I was working for SFX and saw them play at the WBCN River Rave (in 2001).

I barley got a ticket to the Somerville Theater show. Front row balcony, house left. I thought that show was great. I love Cheap Trick.

Originally posted by d gauss:

aerosmith on the other hand, is well....., they were rarely ever that good live

I dunno about that. Most of their popularity in the early 70's came because they WERE so good live. The quality of their performance became inversely proportional to the amount of drugs they did and the end of the 70's and early 80's (ie: Texas Jam), but they've had a lot of good years before and after the drugs took over.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Their performance was certainly entertaining, I guess my point is the over the top 80's style production that no one cares about but them. the cost savings on some of this would certainly be appreciated by the fans...I think the cheapest ticket was $65, on the lawn...watching video screens....anything where you could actually see the band was $85 to +$100, plus ticketmaster fees.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Where, you should know better than to pay for a ticket to a rock concert. ;)

You shoulda sucked it up and weasled your way into the local crew... but in your position, I suppose that would be slumming a lot. :D

The only time I've seen Aerosmith was from a truss spot in 1997, so I have no idea how the house sounded. The sound from stage was pretty good, actually. No over the top staging though. I don't think I've ever seen an act build a thrust off the Starwood Amphitheater stage, and I missed working for Aerosmith and KISS last year at the arena.

Too bad about the sound. The VDOSC system certainly has the potential to sound fantastic in virtually any situation. :(

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hmnmmm...I don't think I said I paid those prices.....

Yes indeed a V-Dosc rig can soudn great pratcially anywhere, and in your average outdoor amphitheatre, a single row of 10-12 boxes a side will more than adequately cover the venue.

However, in their over the top 80's style production decadance, they had 2 rows/sie, one of 12 the other of 10. given the 120degree splay of the venue, yu can imagine the resulting encounters with physics.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Archived