Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1 line out to multiple amps?

Lou_NC

How do you guys handle the situation when you have a single line-level output (whether it's from a keyboard, mixer, effect box, etc.) and want to run it to multiple amps? Do you use a "Y-cable"? Is there a "1-in, many-out" box that I'm unaware of for this purpose?

Thanks,

Lou

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Y-cable (or other passive splitter) should work, but will cut output. An active direct box or small mixer is probably the better way to go. What are the exact devices? Most keyboards have more than one output, many amps have an unamplified pass-thru output...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I checked further.... I thnk there is loss, but it is minimal, e.g. see https://www.bestcaraudio.com/rca-y-cables-friend-or-foe/

so then yeah, go ahead and use a y-cable. :-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Y-cables are not a good idea for multiple amps. Too much of a risk of loading (IE tone sucking) in anything connected to that Y-cable.

I assumed that this was not a question about guitars and guitar amps. No tone-suck for line level gear.

Don't be so sure. It does happen with line level gear.

Shotgun. There are more expensive doo-dads but if you don"t need amp or speaker switching then there is no need. In Keyboard land the buffers are not needed but I play things where a Y-sort of sucks.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/shotgun

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Have one of these for switching between instruments ( acoustic guitar/banjo/dobro). It passes signal both ways. I have buffer behind it. It would work for line level splitting if you needed switching. You don"t want to use this or a Y when you can create Crosstalk.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABC--morley-abc-3-button-switcher-combiner-pedal

Just try a basic Y if your first time usage isn"t critical. If you have problems let"s us know what it does and we will help you spend more money.

And another thing .... if you turn up the 2nd amp and by chance the sound gets thinner and sounds quieter and just sucks. Your amps might be out of phase. Something to listen for. But ... it will be fine.

Y-cables are not a good idea for multiple amps. Too much of a risk of loading (IE tone sucking) in anything connected to that Y-cable.

I assumed that this was not a question about guitars and guitar amps. No tone-suck for line level gear.

Now I"m confused. I"ve got Crown power amps and Turbosound powered speakers that have two jacks for each channel input, for the purpose of linking the input to multiple amps. These are all hard wired. No buffer amps. So, are you indicating that touring sound setups have tone suck? I"m ready to learn.

Now I"m confused. I"ve got Crown power amps and Turbosound powered speakers that have two jacks for each channel input, for the purpose of linking the input to multiple amps. These are all hard wired. No buffer amps. So, are you indicating that touring sound setups have tone suck? I"m ready to learn.

The OP included keyboard outputs in his question.

That big unknown is the output stage capacity in the final driver at the output. Let's assume he is using a Y-cord to multiple devices.

With the drive in modern keyboards towards wallwart power supplies, the emphasis on circuit design is lower power draw. There are opamps available for lower power applications, but they have weak output stages. if such an opamp is fitted to the final driver, then using a Y-cable connected to multiple amps or mixers, now the input impedance of those receiving devices comes into play.

The total input impedance of the combined devices receiving the signal will be less than the device with the lowest input impedance. Throw in a older device with 1K input impedance (yes they're out there), and suddenly that low power opamp with the weak output stage can't provide adequate level because it is loaded too much. Presto - tone suck.

I´m using a 2 input (w/ independent level controls) into 5 balanced stereo outputs splitter.

Unknown company/ brand but works very good using 1/4" TRS connectors.

1HU rackmount frontpanel reads "Air" or "AR" AS-5 sym stereo.

Seems to be discontinued since a long time and unfortunately I cannot find anything in the web.

Behringer and Rane Splitter/Mixer does the job well too w/ 2 In and 6 Out, level and pan controls.

A.C.

Thanks to all who replied.........I was keeping my use case intentionally vague in order to get the most answers.........and in fact it is a general type of question, I'm not trying to solve a specific situation, at least right now.

My current home keyboard amplification setup uses a repurposed "home theater" type sub/satellite speaker arrangement where the sub has some active circuitry to manage this (I'm actually using stereo speaker-level input from a stereo power amp to the sub's panel, then sending L/R speaker-level outputs to the satellite speakers). This is certainly not a "pro-audio" setup, so I'm trying to figure out what I would do if I were starting over from scratch, still wanting to support a separate sub and stereo speaker setup.

So, future use cases could include running from a single set of line level stereo outputs (from either a mixer or a single keyboard) to a separate powered sub, and separate 2-channel power amp, then to passive speakers. I know if I'm using "modern" powered PA speakers, many offer line level outs that I can daisy chain, but that's not my current setup.

Thanks,

Lou

When I worked for the church we had two overflow rooms and one outdoor overflow area. We used the Behringer DS2800 to take output from the console send it to the overflow rooms. We also had a video splitter sending video to all the areas also. So the biggest work was running the cable runs to the areas once in place and ready. So if we had an unexpected large audience we could setup the audio almost instantly (each room had a PA) and for outside area we'd just rolling out a couple Mackie powered speakers. For video we had large (for the time 55" TV's on carts so they were elevated) and just connect the video feed and turn on. All the years I was there the Behringer worked and sounded great. I was actually amazed considering how long the cable runs were.

Link to Behringer DS2800

Lehle makes the 1at3 SGoS which allows you to use a single input with three separate amplifiers. They make several other boxes for various switching and splitting functions.

lehle-1at3-sgos.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact