Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I wonder why Apple doesn�t make an audio interface.

Mike Davis

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clear up OSX is NOT based on Linux it is based on FreeBSD specifically DragonFly BSD, it is another branch of the UNIX tree of OSes. Steve Job NEXT computer's OS used parts of FreeBSD too.

While a lot of system utilities are derived from BSD sources rather than the AT&T flavor of UNIX, Apple"s flavor of UNIX is definitely not FreeBSD derived. For one thing, NeXT"s initial commercial release pre-dated the introduction of FreeBSD by four years, and they aren"t using a common OS kernel. NeXT chose the CMU Mach kernel as their starting point, and it has evolved substantially over time under the open source project XNU, a core part of the Darwin operating system. There are certainly parts of Linux, Darwin, and FreeBSD that are shared, but there are also non-trivial differences.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Emagic actually HAD interfaces (that are still supported by Apple), but they were killed after Apple bought them.

We live in a time when perfectly good hardware is rendered unusable by lack of software which can keep up with Apple's constant mindless updates of the Linux-based MacOS. Emagic expensive MIDI splitters being one example, and all our old ipads and iphones being another. This only the beggining of what's coming.

IOS14 has been even more damaging than Catalina to the general public. It would OK if "going back" was easy. It's often impossible as most know. Many of us must listen to nags about updating our OS everyday because Apple has made it impossible to even turn that off.

I help people with apple gear all the time, and I use Mainstage at times, but I can understand the revival of hardware immune to careless changes.

One interface solution I see used alot is the "Unmentionable" made XR18 mixer that is truly 18X18. It's not that hard to get two channels of audio into a DAW, but if you want to do more than that the options thin and the price rises. I may get one of these. For now I use a IK pro-duo, which is quite the swiss army knife for two channel AND MIDI, in both IOS and MACOS.

Apple has become the epitome of monopoly, and why the muckrackers enacted anti-trust legislation. Their hardware is slick and sleek. It ignores the real world worries of us, not mention the terrible waste of needlessly obsolescent hardware. Nothing offends the Gods like Hubris. :)

Mainstage, Logic, and Preview are examples of software "well done"---at the moment. I could write a long list of current apple software which is not well done, at all. But to what end?

What I love about acoustic instruments: they always power on and never ask you for a password to play them.

Yes, FYI, I use a Behringer XR-18, and it works flawlessly, cleanly and does way more than I actually need. I've been very pleased with it, both as an interface, and as a digital mixer for our band! P.S. I use it with Logic Pro 10, works great.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).