Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you a good communicator?

Just some thoughts. I've been hanging around here for some time and I thinking most of you are good communicators. Even if I might not agree with your point of view, you all seem to do a good job of getting your point across. I do great in person, but I don't have much patience for the typing. I'd rather call than email. I also find it a little strange yet addicting coming here... reading...learning... getting annoyed etc, from people I don't really know. How about you? What do you think of these message boards?

GY

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, apparently, am a horrible communicator, no matter how simply I try to put my view point forth, only a few seem to get it, but some or most seem to refuse.

I do sometimes have a smart alecky way of putting things, but I've noticed that the people who seem to have the biggest problem with me, do too, maybe even much more so, so that's puzzling.

But even when I try to put things as simply and clearly as possible, there seems to be a refusal to understand or except what I'm saying.

But I agree completely with the addicting factor, and the getting annoyed factor. In fact, I think it's really unhealthy, and ultimately pointless.

I've said before, the internet can be a great source of information, but it's very easy to let it devolve into a waste of time, a childish and pointless endeavor.

I also don't like the gossip or the tabloid type stuff on which almost all message boards seem to thrive. Rumors, insults, and all that.

And it all starts to go around in a circle, the same insults, the same slams, it starts to become meaningless, an empty din.

You can go around to different message boards and see nearly identical arguments about all the same subjects, it's bizarre.

For me, it's far unhealthier than television or fast food or any number of other things a lot of people around here think are the lowest of the low when it comes to modern culture.

But, it's addicting, like an OCD.

I don't think I'm a very good communicator but people seem to get what I'm saying most of the time anyway

I also find it a little strange yet addicting coming here... reading...learning... getting annoyed etc, from people I don't really know.
well yeah...all that is strange, stranger in the 'early' days than now...when I first started posting on BBs I didn't get it like I do now. I would put way too much emotion into my words and take other's too personally too.

If I weren't stuck in an office 8 hours a day I wouldn't spend nearly as much time posting/reading bbs

Originally posted by GY:

Just some thoughts. I've been hanging around here for some time and I thinking most of you are good communicators. Even if I might not agree with your point of view, you all seem to do a good job of getting your point across. I do great in person, but I don't have much patience for the typing. I'd rather call than email. I also find it a little strange yet addicting coming here... reading...learning... getting annoyed etc, from people I don't really know. How about you? What do you think of these message boards?

I obviously make a lot of time for this place :D , because I get a LOT out of it. I've learned a ton here and met some great people many of whom have become friends and/or music biz colleagues in "real life." And hope I've helped a few people along the way too. If you choose to use it that way it's an amazing networking tool for any musician or audio person. Has been for me anyhow. In my experience you have to give in order to get, and at this place I always seem to get back at least 10 times what I give... thus, I post a lot. With a return on investment like that I'd be crazy not to. :D

I also like to come here just to be silly and vent sometimes. I work at home so it's kinda like the office water cooler, it gives me a different perspective from my "real life" friends, and if I'm having a bad day I know at least one of you is going to make me laugh my ass off.

So, thanks for all that. :thu:

Anyway, i found a new controller for Logic.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgD9Ag0SMiWE!OyCtg0SqkPvEuOAd4bEb7oKuzEa9kHIY!EmlaTuGN4o*!RH8rUJ20ro6*y3lth5bcHMDVrv9pJZPV2SkA3z/DAW.jpg

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

Originally posted by zzzzzzzzz:

I, apparently, am a horrible communicator, no matter how simply I try to put my view point forth, only a few seem to get it, but some or most seem to refuse.

I do sometimes have a smart alecky way of putting things, but I've noticed that the people who seem to have the biggest problem with me, do too, maybe even much more so, so that's puzzling.

But even when I try to put things as simply and clearly as possible, there seems to be a refusal to understand or except what I'm saying.

But I agree completely with the addicting factor, and the getting annoyed factor. In fact, I think it's really unhealthy, and ultimately pointless.

I've said before, the internet can be a great source of information, but it's very easy to let it devolve into a waste of time, a childish and pointless endeavor.

I also don't like the gossip or the tabloid type stuff on which almost all message boards seem to thrive. Rumors, insults, and all that.

And it all starts to go around in a circle, the same insults, the same slams, it starts to become meaningless, an empty din.

You can go around to different message boards and see nearly identical arguments about all the same subjects, it's bizarre.

For me, it's far unhealthier than television or fast food or any number of other things a lot of people around here think are the lowest of the low when it comes to modern culture.

But, it's addicting, like an OCD.

You know z, I actually understand what you are saying! So you have suceeded in at least this attempt to get your point accross.

Sometimes I think it takes going through some of the exchanges like you and I have gone through lately to remind us that it can be very consuming, addicting, pointless, relevant, and all of that stuff. There is a lot of reality to these forums and there is a lot of fantasy. There is a lot of truth and there is a lot of silly horseplay. And much of the time it is all mixed into one thread! Some people are truly themselves and other people are characters. It isn't "right" or "wrong" to be either, because there are few rules.

I think as long as we are getting out of it what we want to get out of it, we're probably OK.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

You know z, I actually understand what you are saying! So you have suceeded in at least this attempt to get your point accross.
Well how about that!

I think as long as we are getting out of it what we want to get out of it, we're probably OK.
Yeah, well for me, I need to go on an internet diet, and cut out all the fat and the processed cheese and the empty calories.

There's an old saying that goes "different strokes for different folks".

Some folks like alcohol, and have no problem with it, some can't handle it at all, and some don't like and don't want anyone else to like it either.

I'm certainly not one to want to stop anyone else from having a good time, whether it's the music they listen to, or the television they watch, or the food they eat, or the clothes they wear.

That's all I meant to say whether it was about the average person, or the music business, or Britney, or Eminem, or television, and so on. And if people are getting something out of this, then good for them, I don't want to stop anyone.

There's another old saying that goes "live and let live".

Archived