Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lollapalooza 2004 Canceled

I'm all for cross-pollination! I don't mean to lean too hard on the Jerry thing (BTW, what well-digested garcia that Gillian Welch gitar cat puts forth- very nice), but the man had something going that these people need, and it's so seldom represented by those carrying around satchels full of vintage Dead tics.

Yes, let's hope something great comes of it all!

The guy who plays with Gillian is David Rawlings and he is a badass mofo.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of the dead, as I'm not big on the dead. I just feel too many people associate that scene with The Dead primarily. I too feel like Jerry's best stuff was with Old and in the Way, and I'm digging the ressurgence of bluegrass. Getting back to the original point of this thread though. I think happy go lucky jammin music is more conducive to a festival type scenario, than the bands lollapalooza chose. Who goes to a festival to be depressed by Morrisey? Too me if you're going to see Morrisey, it should be in a smoke filled club or bar. I think there is a certain spirit people get when going to a festival similar to going to the county fair when you're a kid.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ask any dead head - as opposed to jerry-liking musician - why they liked to go to dead concerts. the answer will be the opposite of any rush fan or indeed many of the lollipalooza folks.

because you never hear the same song the same way, and because half of the show would be totally unpredictable.

someone made the comparison to 50s jazz, which really had the same idea in mind.

i agree that certain things work in a festival setting and certain things don't. it's really not difficult to understand why one track would be more successful in the long run where the other seemingly evaporates into nothingness.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

'Glad you guys mentioned the spike in the interest in bluegrass.

The largest crowd I've seen in Richmond VA recently was for the locals the Hackensaw Boys, who play a seriously ruckus brand of mostly traditional tunes.

Maybe it's just Richmond, but outdoor shows seem to be booming for a variety of types of music (not just rock/R&B/etc), whereas clubs seem to have waning appeal, as Lee and others have mentioned on several threads.

That being said, I'm going to see George Thurogood tonight at a small grassy amplitheatre- I'm pumped!

ask any dead head - as opposed to jerry-liking musician - why they liked to go to dead concerts. the answer will be the opposite of any rush fan or indeed many of the lollipalooza folks.

because you never hear the same song the same way, and because half of the show would be totally unpredictable.

and equally, the communal atmosphere. all things music aside, you don't have any sense of community at lollapalooza, ozz fest, any of those festivals.

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Archived