Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Other Mandalorian Fans?

I think it's great. Tonight's episode was really something.

I wonder if there will be a bluegrass version - the Mandolinian, with Baby Banjo.

But seriously...the visuals were so well-crafted, and the plot took some very interesting turns. It's like the series reached maturity with this episode, after wondering for a while exactly what it wanted to be.

I can't believe the pushback to fictional characters, like when baby Yoda ate the eggs, and people complained about casting Rosario Dawson because she supposedly held attitudes that apparently weren't true anyway.

It's a frickin' story!! I can't imagine how people would have reacted to Grimm's fairy tales if they were released today: A brother and sister are abandoned in a forest (child abuse, anyone? were they eloping?), where they are captured by a witch who's a cannibal (her last name is Dahmer), and lives in a house made of nothing but fattening foods that cause a propensity to diabetes. She wants to fatten up the children before eating them, but they murder the witch, and after she's dead, rob her stuff before getting out of there.

Mandalorian seems pretty harmless compared to that. :)

I can't believe the pushback to fictional characters

It always makes me laugh when people react to something that's fake and they know it, like I don't know, someone eating fake poop to gross out someone else on the show but the audience reacts as well. They showed them making it or whatever! :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's a frickin' story!! I can't imagine how people would have reacted to Grimm's fairy tales if they were released today: A brother and sister are abandoned in a forest (child abuse, anyone? were they eloping?), where they are captured by a witch who's a cannibal (her last name is Dahmer), and lives in a house made of nothing but fattening foods that cause a propensity to diabetes. She wants to fatten up the children before eating them, but they murder the witch, and after she's dead, rob her stuff before getting out of there.

Mandalorian seems pretty harmless compared to that. :)

By the time most Americans get to Grimm"s fairy tales, they"re frequently sanitized some from their European versions.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 1 year later...
31 minutes ago, RABid said:

Have to say Mandalorian is better than the recent SW movies.

Low bar, RABid...although I did like Rogue One quite a bit. I think it's because they managed to slip it in before the corporate bean counters decided they knew what was best :)

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, Anderton said:

Low bar, RABid...although I did like Rogue One quite a bit. I think it's because they managed to slip it in before the corporate bean counters decided they knew what was best :)

I haven't watched The Mandalorian yet, though it's in the queue, but we did watch the Obi-Wan Kenobi series and I thought that was spectacular. I can't recommend that enough.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 9/10/2022 at 4:49 PM, Anderton said:

I did like Rogue One quite a bit.

then you most likely will like this :  (guess it will need a new thread ;) ) It is being called "Star Wars for adults" by the pundits :cool:

"The first 12-episode season of Andor is scheduled to premiere on Disney+ on September 21, 2022, with its first three episodes. The rest of the episodes will be released weekly until November 23. A second 12-episode season is in development, which will conclude the series and lead into the events of Rogue One."

:nopity:

I got Star Wars Overload some time ago. My interest in green leading characters is currently having a nice time with "She-Hulk: Attorney At Law." Its one of the Top 10 strangest sitcoms I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I ignored this thread the first time around because I hadn't watched it yet. But it's really great. We're also watched three episodes of "Obi Wan" as well. Really nicely done. These are so much better than the latest bunch of "Star Wars" movies too. They've used the extra time that a series allows to really stretch out more and make the story or stories good.

• 3 months later...

"Andor" was fascinating in part because it showed a more nuanced view of the protaganists and antagonists and others, not as black-and-white good/bad, but more complex, showing their regular lives as well. No light sabers. No floating in air. Just a good stories and writing all the way through. 

• Like 1

Argh, I got sucked into "Andor"... and I liked it. I'm so ashamed. It got past my Star Wars Fatigue. Well-written and very well executed. Its within canon, yet it doesn't smell like a bid to sell me action figures. My kind of success story.

Diego Luna is also a very good actor. Almost all the characters in Andor are quite believable.

These days, I'll even watch a not-so-great movie if the acting is good. For example, anything with Chadwick Boseman is worth watching.  "Get On Up" is astounding. Boseman even redeems "21 Bridges," a generic cop drama with few other redeeming features.

And for comedy, IMHO Rebel Wilson's comedic timing is pretty much flawless. She can even elevate a cookie-cutter film, like Netflix's "Senior Year."

22 hours ago, Anderton said:

These days, I'll even watch a not-so-great movie if the acting is good. For example, anything with Chadwick Boseman is worth watching.  "Get On Up" is astounding.

I once saw James Brown live. When I saw "Get On Up," I saw him again. Boseman nailed his roles across the board. Eddie Murphy partially explains it, in NSFW terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVmw81qDSA

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

I once saw James Brown live. When I saw "Get On Up," I saw him again. Boseman nailed his roles across the board.

Boseman was neither a trained dancer or singer when he got the role for "Get on Up," but he did BOTH in the movie. It totally blew my mind when I found that out. That is talent beyond conventional talent. What a loss.

• 2 weeks later...