Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santana Rips Media for Ignoring Elvin Jones

Great point. Now I know what my album and band need...good looking guys and chicks with tits.

Ernest

No, what you need are good looking GUYS with tits. THAT gets attention...

dont think he is ignored by the press because he was a jazz musician, I think he was ignored because he was not a jazz singer or headliner. Face it, great jazz singers get a mention on the national news when they pass away.
Jazz singers get attention because they communicate with WORDS, so whitebread America can understand them. To understand jazz musicians, you need to LISTEN, and use some intellectual capacity. In this country we don't invest in the arts, and we're not about to as long as fools like Bush control the country.

Reagan's death overshodowed Ray Charles'. I understand that, he had more of an influence on people as a 'politician' than Ray did as a musician.

But the lionization that the media have pandered off on us is shameful. Reagan was a racist, voted states rights all his political career. He won the popular vote because all the 'heartland' American middle-class remember him as a movie hero. Like Arnie and Jesse.

We'll be seeing more of these idiots in the bid for public office, because they are the perfect 'leaders' for the corporate power elite - they can deliver any company line with a straight face, because they were trained to do just that.

Elvin was one of my heroes, and I shall miss him. Reagan was one of my anti-heros, and I wish he had died his first week in office - not assassinated, just dead of a heafrt attack when he realized he had just sold his soul to corporate Amerika.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dasher:

Reagan's death overshodowed Ray Charles'. I understand that, he had more of an influence on people as a 'politician' than Ray did as a musician.

Ray Charles influenced not only musicians but everyday people for over 60 years,I hardly think Reagans 2 terms(8 years) comes even close to that kind of influence.I'm counting his Hollywood days and Governership as well.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by Dasher:

... Jazz singers get attention because they communicate with WORDS, so whitebread America can understand them. To understand jazz musicians, you need to LISTEN, and use some intellectual capacity. ...

Are you saying white America is stupid, or just too stupid to understand jazz? Either way, that statement ranks up there with the one by Carlos Santana. :mad:

This thread does show a lot of what is wrong with jazz musicians. Statements complaining about lack of recognition followed by statements about how common white people are too stupid to understand the music. As long as some musicians continue to be elitist and condescending it will hurt jazz as a whole. I love jazz, but there is enough good jazz around that I can avoid these idiots and buy from people I like as a musician and as a person. :(

Oh, and a musician having more influence on American than a 2 term president? Time for a reality check. :rolleyes:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived