Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Build Project Time

And that"s exactly why I like this. My MODX 8 is at the exact height I want it. Not a 'close enough' based predetermined notches.

I"m sketching out some ideas on how to make this a standing stand while still being able to use it as a sitting stand without changing out hardware.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• 5 months later...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A keyboard player friend of mine wants to build this stand, but to save money, wants to cut PVC pipe to the specifications of the Gibraltar pipes. I don't think it is a good idea. What say you stand builder extraordinaire?!

How solid is the 2nd tier with those arms instead of the tubes?

Using PVC to mimic a Gibraltar stand may be fine for the lightest of keyboards. I personally wouldn't do it. How is he going to connect them? The Gibraltar tubes themselves are cheap. It's the clamps that cost money.

Those mounting arms that make up my second tier are rock solid. Remember, they still attach to the tube with the Gibraltar clamp. Absolutely no bounce.

David

A keyboard player friend of mine wants to build this stand, but to save money, wants to cut PVC pipe to the specifications of the Gibraltar pipes. I don't think it is a good idea. What say you stand builder extraordinaire?!

How solid is the 2nd tier with those arms instead of the tubes?

Using PVC to mimic a Gibraltar stand may be fine for the lightest of keyboards. I personally wouldn't do it. How is he going to connect them? The Gibraltar tubes themselves are cheap. It's the clamps that cost money.

Those mounting arms that make up my second tier are rock solid. Remember, they still attach the the tube with the Gibraltar clamp. Absolutely no bounce.

I don't know how he was gonna connect them. He has a Yamaha Motif 7 like I do. I doubt it would hold that and was trying to talk him out of using PVC.

David - didn't you say that you sourced non-Gibraltar tubes but used kosher Gibraltar clamps? Alumin(i)um tubing is cheap, and I guess you could buy that from anywhere. I wouldn't go PVC for this project.

Cheers, Mike.

I did when everyone was out of stock of the very long tubes. I actually sourced a tube that was a hybrid steel. very heavy. It's been retired :)

David

PVC is not a good choice. It isn't that rigid. And it looks bad. The nice thing about splurging for the Gibralter stuff is that it looks great, it is completely custom, tears down easily, has memory locks... It's just fantastic. The stands I build with it are rock solid - as solid as my 900lb grand piano. The keybeds don't move. I like this. The other thing is this - it's like getting Lego's as a kid. After a while the parts build up, and as you reconfigure, you realize how easy it is to have EXACTLY what you want. And then you always do. I have a box of spare clamps and parts now, and every once in a while I need to buy a fresh tube, but I have three stands right now, plus the studio drum kit. I've had and not had laptop wings, Ableton holders, a place to put an OB-6 desktop synth, etc. The stands allow you to dress cables beautifully and have a very nice stage appearance. Form and Function. Yes, it costs more. But it's a durable investment. Neither the clamps nor the pipes go bad.

NO NO NO. This is all wrong, looks flimsy, not well constructed, doesn't look good in any way. I think the only right thing to do is to offer up some help. Ship it to me, I'll take custody of it and I'll dispose of it properly.

w8es5u.jpg

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I'd disagree with others here that you couldn't build a solid, functional stand from PVC. However I definitely agree that it would look bad/cheap. Furniture grade PVC will appear nicer than what you can buy at the home improvement store, but it still tends to have the look of something that came out of a 1970s DIY furniture book.