Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attention IEEE 1394 �FireWire� Users

This was sent to me by M-Audio, and is being published here as a public service. --Craig

------------------------------------------------

Reports have come to our attention of isolated problems when hot-plugging IEEE 1394 (aka FireWire) devices. (Hot-plugging refers to making 1394/FireWire connections when one or more of the devicesincluding the computeris on.)

When hot-plugging, there are rare occurrences where either the FireWire peripheral or the FireWire port on the host computer is rendered permanently inoperable. While M-Audio products adhere rigidly to the FireWire industry standard and pass stringent internal testing, the possibility remains that hot-plugging your M-Audio FireWire interface with some computers may result in the type of problem described here.

We strongly encourage you to protect your equipment by refraining from hot-plugging any bus-powered FireWire device, including the M-Audio family of FireWire products. Connect your FireWire device while both the computer and FireWire device are powered off. Power on the FireWire device, then turn the computer on last. If you are using bus power (systems

with IEEE1394 6-pin connectors) make sure you make the cable connection first, then turn the FireWire device power switch on, and turn the computer system on last.

M-Audio is being proactive in investigating any issues that may adversely affect our customers. Please consult the Knowledge Base in the Support section at www.m-audio.com for updates on this important issue.

In case your M-Audio FireWire device is not detected by your computer on startup, try one or more of the following troubleshooting steps instead of hotplugging it:

1. Turn your M-Audio FireWire device off, wait 30 seconds then power it on.

2. Put your computer into hibernation mode, wait 30 seconds then reactivate it.

3. Restart the computer (dont turn it off) while the M-Audio FireWire device remains connected and powered on.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the heads up.Even though iEE1394 claimed hot-plugging ability,I could never bring myself to test Murphy's law so I never even tried it.Like a nerd,I alway's shut down before attaching anything.I guess it paid off this time.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

They are not explicit enough...are they saying that ALL Firewire devices exhibit this issue? I don't like that they are implying something that they haven't stated they've researched outside their own product line.

Hot swapping is one of the integral functions of Firewire for me. It would be like having a car with no reverse gear.

"For instance" is not proof.

I have been hearing this more and more frequently. Did they suggest what part or parts are failing when a hot-plugging goes wrong?

I think the caution makes sense for bus-powered devices.

(and having lived in Minneapolis and Chicago in the winter time I learned "positive to positive and negative to ground". oh yeah, and wear eye protection.)

Folks,

Was there ever a final determination which is better for audio: Firewire or USB2.0?

I had heard that there were some 'hiccups' with USB 2.0. However M-Audio uses USB in their products.

Also, my laptop has USB 1.1; not USB 2.0 . Is USB 1.1 fast enough to use with audio interfaces? Again, I would think that it is since many manufacturers seem to be using it.

What's the latest on this... anybody?

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks for the warning Craig. I just recently started using Firewire HDs at work, home and for music. Also just started using an iPod which is charged by Firewire power.

As for the USB question, consider getting an interface card like this one for your laptop. I added a Firewire card to mine recently. The one I chose uses a dongle cable with the jacks. I had to go with the dongle type because I already had a sound card in the other slot that has an oversize end for connections. You cannot fit two oversized cards into the two available slots at the same time.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

As one of many users around here, I have "hot-plugged" my stuff lots of times without a problem. That was actually my standard way to work with a FW device from my company.

However as the message sent to Craig and all of our users, we have had reports talking about -ours and other manufacturers- problems while hotplugging a FireWire device.

Given the circumstances, we had to send this word of advise to all of our users.

Greetings from Madrid

:)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Also note that hot-plugging arbitrary devices such as groupies can cause damage to your peripheral and cause a medical condition known as FireWire.

We strongly encourage you to protect your equipment by refraining from hot-plugging any bus-powered device, even if it is your own tour bus.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

It has to do with how manufacturers of FW devices and periphials deal with over-current protection.There are FW cards and hubs that do have over-current protection and is obviously a wise thing to look for. Just do a search on Google 'firewire over-current protection'
"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson

Archived