Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wow, Jack McDuff and young George Benson

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sal Azzarelli told me about that particular C-3 as it was actually not the matching bench because of the quatrafoil on the bench. He had worked on it I think he told me. Killer musicians.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Playing with McDuff was Benson break to get into world of guitar. He got hired to sub for a one week out of town gig and almost lost the gig the first night. McDuff liked the kid and simplified the setup. McDuff was blown away that every night it was obvious Benson was shedding all day and was better every night. So after the week McDuff decided to keep Benson on and rest is history. Working your ass off pay. Benson went from a singer who accompanied himself on guitar to one of the top guitarist in the world. Sadly for the guitar world Benson first love is singing and that's where he started heading back to, but all that singer was big part of why he was a great guitarist he can play anything he can sing.

Looks like George is using a solid body sunburst Les Paul with a tweed Bassman amp. Total rock set up, yet sounds like George Benson. Another example of someone who can use any rig and get their own unique sound.

I bet he wished he still had the guitar......sunburst '58-'60 Les Pauls sell for north of $300K these days....