Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did the Byrds or Beatles make Rickenbacker guitars popular ?

I hear you, I am 55 years behind.

And I should be posting my admiration of Taylor Swift and the musical genius of Post Malone.

Maybe in 50 years ;)

If you like the good old days, this might be your topic

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rickenbacker gave George Harrison a 12 string electric guitar, which he used extensively starting with A Hard Days Night.

Both Roger McGuinn and Tom Petty have cited George with influencing them to take up a similar guitar.

George was also a big influence in the popluarity of the Gretsch Country Gentleman (named after Chet Atkins), George made it cool for a new generation of players.

Post Beatles, George's unique style of slide guitar playing was yet another wave of influence in popular music.

An underrated guitarist in my opinion, the solo on Something is gorgeous and so is this instrumental from his last album, which was released posthumously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJACRzv0vgM

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

when I think of that great Rick sound, I am also reminded of Mr Tamborine Man [ April 1965], and the Byrds version of Turn, Turn, Turn [ Oct 1965].

John Lennon got his Rick from a Hamburg music store in 1960.

[70's Songwriter]

John's Rick might have been the catalyst for the connection.

Rickenbacker gave Paul McCartney a left handed Ricky bass too, more or less the same model that Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and so many others eventually took up.

The Hofner viola bass would have been a sidenote at best in the history of popular music if it weren't for McCartney.

I don't know if anybody ever gave Ringo any cool gear?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I vote for the Byrds. The Rick was a part of the Beatles sound, but it WAS the Byrd's sound. Also, the compression and treble lifted McGuinn's Rick out of the ordinary. No guitar has ever sounded like the solo on "8 Miles High."

The highest compliment I can give the Byrds was that had they never existed (or all those who copied them along the way) and they hit the scene today for the first time, their sound would be as fresh and as current as if it had been invented yesterday. An amazing group.

Check out my Ric 360...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-sV3J1h93G/

Bought it at Manny's in NYC after my previous Ric had been stolen. I played this on Mandrake's last ever gig at the Boston shell...1970.

I vote for the Byrds. The Rick was a part of the Beatles sound, but it WAS the Byrd's sound. Also, the compression and treble lifted McGuinn's Rick out of the ordinary. No guitar has ever sounded like the solo on "8 Miles High."

The highest compliment I can give the Byrds was that had they never existed (or all those who copied them along the way) and they hit the scene today for the first time, their sound would be as fresh and as current as if it had been invented yesterday. An amazing group.

I agree with Craig. George had the guitar first and did great things with it, but McGuinn created the style that everyone associates with the 12-string Rick. And The Byrds highlighted McGuinn's playing just that guitar in just that style, whereas George worked a bunch of different guitars, a much wider variety of styles.

IIRC, George's picking style and chord fingerings on his song "If I Needed Someone" on Rubber Soul was George's tribute to McGuinn's playing style.

And yes, the Byrds were fantastic, especially when Gene Clark was writing such great songs.

When I got my first record player (plastic jobbie, mono of course) - the first albums I bought were Revolver and Turn, Turn, Turn.

nat

Check out my Ric 360...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-sV3J1h93G/

Bought it at Manny's in NYC after my previous Ric had been stolen. I played this on Mandrake's last ever gig at the Boston shell...1970.

blonde beauty, love it. I have a hankerin' for a Rick.

Not so sure a VST from keyboard land can give it justice.

[70's Songwriter]

excellent recording, convincing keyboard/guitar part, Craig, Perfect fade at end.

Here is my ' guitar ' song:

Nowhere Going Fast:

[70's Songwriter]

George had the guitar first and did great things with it, but McGuinn created the style that everyone associates with the 12-string Rick.

My friend Harvey Gerst (he used to be active on a couple of forums and rec.audio.pro) was part of the team that worked on the McGuinn 12-string sound for their first album. He said that the just played around in the studio for a couple of days and there it was.

George had the guitar first and did great things with it, but McGuinn created the style that everyone associates with the 12-string Rick.

My friend Harvey Gerst (he used to be active on a couple of forums and rec.audio.pro) was part of the team that worked on the McGuinn 12-string sound for their first album. He said that the just played around in the studio for a couple of days and there it was.

Sounds like he was going through a Fender Twin or equivalent with the treble turned up, and compression added during the mix (or maybe when recording), but that's just a guess.