Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Event 20/20 Bas owners....

I went to guitar center to test out some monitors....they let me take home a pair of 20/20 to test out...so i'm at home listening to it, and i noticed that sometimes the bass would distort for no apparent reason....I had the input sensitivity set at medium level and the LF and HF set at 0....and listened at moderate levels. And also, sometimes, the bass would just dissapear leaving only the HF playing ?!?! And then reappear ?!?! It felt cheap....but i liked the 20/20 Bas so i thought if i get new ones...it'd be okay. So i went ahead and bought a new pair...and when i listened to it at home....same problem....one of them DIDN'T even work!!!!! And the other distorts like crazy !!!! I have the PS 5 and I like them and they worked perfectly. But I'm done with the 20/20...any one had the same problems i encountered ?!?! Or am I just having bad luck ?? Well, don't matter cuz i'm returning these tommorrow and getting the Mackie's (which i should've bought in the first place). :(

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKomp.., Dumb question -Are you sure your outputs (from mixer, etc), cables, settings and all are good? It's rare you would have problems with 2 sets of monitors, the odds of both sets being bad would be low, (yes, anything is possible.) Maybe try swapping out the XLR cables, or use the unbalanced inputs straight off of a CD player, see what that does.
In two days, it won't matter.

Mine have worked perfectly with no distortion for over two years. You must have a problem somewhere else. The odds of getting two pairs that have the exact same problem is really low.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

It sounds like they got dropped and a connection is screwed up. a solder joint might be cracked, who knows, take them to a good tech. If you are handy, openthem up and look for loose connectors and cracked solder joints. I think you can do great mixes on 20/20's or ns-10's or whatever you are used to working with. fantastic monitors are great, if you can afford them. but people mix on what they can afford. The trick is doing a LOT of critical listening on your monitors, get your fav cd's out and spend some time aclimating to your boxes and your mix room, but first get those 20/20's fixed. theo
theo

Well, at one time there might have been something of a problem with quality control at Event, don't know if it's still true. At any rate, there was a moderately famous problem with a "buzz" coming in during certain bass frequencies. I've got that with my 20/20p set and the cure involves a simple Elmer's glue thing which I haven't gotten around to yet, just some internal part that wasn't quite attached properly. I've got the old post where the guy details how to do it, but it's on my box at home, not here at work. If you're interested I can post that. Cheers.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]NoKomp.., Dumb question -Are you sure your outputs (from mixer, etc), cables, settings and all are good? It's rare you would have problems with 2 sets of monitors, the odds of both sets being bad would be low, (yes, anything is possible.) Maybe try swapping out the XLR cables, or use the unbalanced inputs straight off of a CD player, see what that does.[/b][/quote] You make me sound like i don't know what i'm doing...Yes i tried swapping different cables...settings on mixer is fine...yes both monitors had problems...woofer on one doesn't even sound...the other distorts like crazy, on low levels too!!!. I still like the 20/20Bas but i returned them and just ordered a Mackie's HR824...which i also like. [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: NoKompetition ] [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: NoKompetition ]

[quote] Empty Planet Senior Member Member # 19706 posted 01-07-2002 04:31 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well, at one time there might have been something of a problem with quality control at Event, don't know if it's still true. At any rate, there was a moderately famous problem with a "buzz" coming in during certain bass frequencies. [/quote] I have the sometimes "buzz" problem on only 1 of my 20/20bas. Otherwise they work perfect! Flea man

Yeah yeah, that's what I mean, it was a quality control thing, most of them were fine. Anyway, I'm home now and here's the post. I'm not sure of the netiquette on this sort of thing, but this was originally posted, I believe to a Usenet group, by someone identifying themselves as "Muskie." Apologies for the length. --------------------------- I had this problem with TWO pairs of Event 20/20 powereds. It turns out there was not enough ELMERS'S GLUE on the port tube. Event authorized me to take them apart and add more glue to the top of the port tube. I discovered this problem by finding a frequency that caused the rattle, then putting my fingers inside the port tube and pressing up. The rattle would then dissapear. Alas, I gave Even yet another chance, and got another pair of 20/20 powered. As soon as I fired them up......vibration...rattle rattle. But this one sounded different, coming from the woofer. Furious, I unscrewed the woofer and found the led wire to close to the woofer. Put it back together, and everything is fine. These speakers sound wonderful, and I got a good price, so I will keep them. Plus event sent me two new tweeters, a woofer, and a led light for the first two pair. I also am not afraid to keep them. In case that vibration comes up again, I know what the cause is, and the cure. I got a great deal , and these are fantastic sounding speakers. However, it's obvious Event has MAJOR quality control issies in the ASSEMBLY level of production. What sweet sounding monitors these are...... -Muskie --------------------------- There ya go...hope it helps.....

[quote] I had this problem with TWO pairs of Event 20/20 powereds. It turns out there was not enough ELMERS'S GLUE on the port tube. [/quote] Actually my buzz was on the back amp plate. It is probably resonating a amp part that is attached to the plate. One day I guess I'll open it up to see if I can tighten something down... Flea Man

Archived