Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Supermarket music...

...either it's getting better or I'm just getting old. :freak: I just came back from the local Stater Brother's market, and I actually heard two cool songs while shopping - Badfinger's "No Matter What" and The Beach Boys "Don't Worry Baby".

What are the coolest songs you've ever heard played at your local grocery store?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...at some point a lot of the grocery chains around crossed over from the old Muzak to a real playlist.

I first noticed this trend in Vegas. When I first started going there 20-some years ago you would only hear old-school stuff in coffee shops, etc. Wasn't too long before it was more of the 60s and 70s tunes.

Now I hear stuff and can't believe it's been out long enough to qualify for Muzak.

*sigh*

Coolest Grocery Store Song: "About The Weather" - Crowded House

songrytr - out! :D

this house is empty now...

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

What are the coolest songs you've ever heard played at your local grocery store?

This might sound really weird but the coolest thing that happend to me is hearing my own recordings while shopping.. :D

steelandre.

Yeah, I've actually heard some astonishingly good stuff at the grocery store, a great mix of both oldies and the hipper new stuff. I've been pretty shocked for the past couple of years at how much good music they play. Not all of it of course, but enough to really surprise me.

Agreed...

But it always pisses me off when you're right in the middle of a killer tune...smack DAB in the middle, and the section you want to hear is coming up and...ATTENTION SHOPPERS...WE'RE CUTTING PRICES DAILY TO SAVE YOU MONEY...

AUGHGHGHGHG!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Even though most people here have a good understanding of the English language they don't seem to notice the lyrics of some songs. Frank Zappa's Bobby Brown Goes Down was a HUGE hit here, it has been played pretty much everywhere - including shopping malls and national radio many many times.

It always amazes me to see people of all ages & shapes sing along to FZ #1 kinky opus with great joy... it's a Monthy Pythonesque experience.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Great subject. Let me ramble about my experience.

I've been in Ralph's three times in the past couple of years where I have to stop and listen to some cool song. Ya know what the problem is? I can never find the name of the song. I found out that Ralphs subscribes to Muzak so at one point out of desperation to find one song title, I logged onto Muzak. I read about their various playlists...cool concepts..different types of music for different times of day to cater to the sex and age group of who's likely to be in the store that time of day..and make them wanna shop....talk about scientific!

Well eventually, I figured out which satellite all the LA Ralphs stores are hooked to and so I went to the forum (or whatever they call it) at the Muzak site to try and find the titles to these cool songs. Guess what's on the forum? Miles and miles and miles of "what's that cool song that was playing in Joe's Auto shop on 9/2/03 that goes da-da-da-dada-da". You get the picture. And....no responses to any of the questions. None. It's an unmoderated forum. So I call Muzak on the phone (that's how much I wanted to know what one particular song was). The request department (or whatever it is) is only staffed by one guy who's not in a lot of the time. And he doesn't return messages. And when I finally got him one day, he had no logs to use for accessing playlist information.

So, it's pretty useless to find out what's playing at Ralphs.

I heard a l-o-n-g song two years ago at Ralphs and the female singer kept singing "get here". That's all I could remember. So the only song I could ever find with those words was actually called Get Here by Oleta something or other...and that wasn't the song. Guess I'll never know what that one was.

Then, last fall or whatever, I heard "Clocks" being played, thought it was cool, didn't know who it was. The only way I ever figured that one out was on a Peter Pan commercial on tv about eight months later.

Then there was the time I was in the bread aisle and heard a cool female r&b song with a recurring ooh-baby-baby. I had to get over a couple of aisles where there's a better speaker up in the ceiling. I'm not too sure, but I think I've got that one nailed down to being an urban mix of a song that came out three or four years ago by some r&b singer who's part (or most) American Indian. I kinda figure I'll find that one somehow in the next year or so.

Anyway, I kind of cringe every time I go into the store because I don't know what cool song I'm going to hear next..that I'll never get the title for.

I once heard a Muzak version of "Bark at the Moon" in the grocery store.

No joke.

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Archived