Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what is new england like?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm your LA friend, but I'll answer anyway, since I lived in Boston at a couple points in my life.

New England is beautiful. Be prepared for serious freakin' cold in December, January and February. Cold that can get painful, especially to a SoCal guy like you (and me).

You would find life in Maine or New Hampshire to be a lot slower than you're used to. That might be a nice thing.

Housing costs will be much lower than we have here in LA, obviously.

Be prepared for heating costs that you don't currently deal with. Also be prepared for some mugginess/humidity in the summer that we don't come close to here.

But the people are mostly nice. The scenery can be incredible, especially in the fall. If you can deal with the weather, New England's a great place to live.

- Jeff

I lived in the Worcester, Mass. area for 5 years as a kid. It was a wonderful place to grow up, I loved having four real seasons.

If I were to contrast it with southern Cal, apart from the weather, New England is very insular. They don't accept outsiders easily. Where I lived, if your family hadn't come over on the Mayflower you were the new kid on the block. :D Mind you, everybody was still pretty willing to help out in emergencies, our neighbors were incredibly kind and generous in situations like when there's a big snowstorm and everybody's power gets knocked out. But New Englanders can come off as standoffish at first. Once you've known 'em for awhile though, you have a friend for life. Unlike Californians a lot of whom will act friendly when you meet them but aren't there when you really need them.

All of the above are, of course, generalities and don't apply to everyone. :D

New England is very expensive in all but the most out of the way places, and even those are going up. The job market ain't too good either from what I gather, and the places where there are jobs are way more expensive.

I'm sure more people who live there now will chime in, but that's my 2 cents. I really loved it when I was a kid, like I said, and enjoy going back to visit now... don't know whether I would enjoy living there, though, it's kinda hard to say.

I grew up in Burlington, Vermont, and Lee took the words right out of my mouth about people being initially standoffish. It's like New Englanders need to know that you can mind your own business to be comfortable with you, but once they do, they warm up.

Burlington, a city of about 100,000 people, has a cool alternative cultural/musical presence, and is home to Ben & Jerry's, the band Phish, and a very decent jazz festival.

Boston is a very livable, walkable, musical city, with a cost of living comparable to L.A. I've been to Portland. ME a coupla times and it's nice, but small.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

The one thing I found distressing about Boston is the street signs... that has to be one of the more difficult cities in the USA to navigate... especially if you're a Cali boy who is used to our freeways and great signs... the street signs in Boston either don't exist or just suck. Of course, it's been years since I've visited, so that might have changed...

Great place to live!I miss home..Gloucester Ma...ahhh Cape Ann...Sunny days,cool breezes the smell of salt air...In the winter when its as cold as a witches tit, clubs and music/gigs come alive..Thats the way I remember it anyways

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

Originally posted by Cereal:

in particular, i wonder about the portland, maine and rockingham nh areas. i'm about 5 - 7 years away from calling it quits in so cal.

Portland, Maine is pretty nice IMO, it has the typical N.E. seaport feel to it. Not too crowded, the traffic isn't bad and there is a decent amount of things to do there in entertainment, art, music ,etc. probably due in part to a division of the University of Maine being located there. It's also not that far from some of the more scenic places like Bar Harbor , Blue Hill and Camden/Rockport or the ski areas inland. There are many little islands off the coast with wildlife like puffins, eagles, falcons and whales in the area. Portland is a good compromise for people who want some urban conveniences, yet also want to enjoy the outdoors near by. The only down side, as was mentioned, is that it can get very cold there in the winter. I was comparing temperatures in Maine and Nome, Alaska this past winter and there was about a week where the temperatures in Maine were actually lower than Nome.

I still want to move up to Maine from Connecticut. Even though Connecticut is also a New England state, the difference is like night and day. Stay away from Southern Connecticut if you want that "New England feel", you would have to go upstate (Kent, Sharon) or toward eastern Connecticut (Mystic, Stonington) for that.

I've heard of people getting fed up with California and moving to New England. I heard of a guy who moved his family from So. Cal. to Vinalhaven, Maine , an island off the coast of Camden/Rockport where they live in a boat moored at the island.

A a Bostonian since birth, I'm a big champion of New England. I've visited other places, but up here is the best.

Yes, the we have cold winters, but then we have winter activities. I learned how to snowboard at 46. The mountains are a great place for recreation no matter what season.

We have nice beaches and down at Cape Cod you can actually swim in the water. Canadians come down to Maine and New Hampshire, and they swim. Plenty of lakes and ponds if you like that.

New England sea food is among the best in the world. Maine lobsters are the best.

Maine and New Hampshire have a wonderful cool climate. Very rural. Many New England towns have great art scenes with no need to go to big cities.

There are vibrant music scenes all over New England. I go to my local dives and catch incredible musicians doing many different styles of music in creative mind-blowing ways.

Yes, it's expensive to live here but we also get better paid. So while real estate is expensive everything else is cheaper because of the extra earnings. Maine and New Hampshire is a lot less expensive than urban Massachusetts.

The layout of the land is always interesting. Nothing is flat around here. There are many old buildings that give New England a sense of history. The sea towns are gorgeous.

Seasons are well defined and there is no better experience than an Autumn day in New England. It catches you by surprise. The biggest mistake is getting in your car to look at the foliage. You don't have to do that, it's all around you and the experience can't be anticipated.

There are cold people in New England, but there are great people too. There are stuck up aholes everywhere in the world. There's no shortage of very friendly people here. Yes, they're different from other place, but we have plenty of them.

And there's plenty of work for piano tuners in New England.

All my knowledge about the New England area comes from Stephen King, so all I can suggest is to avoid Salem, don't buy old cars, and bury your pet in your back yard if it gets run over :thu:

I used to be a rep for many ski co's in New England. I'd demo a new pair of skis every third run. A mechanic for each ski and binding and ski to the front of the lift line. These guys aren't kidding about the cold. I'm no pussy either. I can ski the west @ minus 90 wind chill just fine. When it gets too cold to snow and you have to run huge pipes up a "hill" and atomize water to get something to ski on- well...Anyway, I love New England. Boston is my favorite town. Phil's right on about the street signs, rotaries etc.. but the people are very friendly and will generally help you get where you need to go. You get used to it like anyplace. Two seasons; Winter and construction. Hope you like lobster, steamer clams and Rolling Rock.

Originally posted by alcohol_:

Salem, MA, is a beautiful city on the sea. It's got the best Halloween party in the word. The Peabody Essex Museum is incredible.

And The Willows..Really a nice place!

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

I grew up there, went to school in NYC, and now live in Jersey with family. I bring my kids there and they love it like I did at their age. As a late teen it lacks lots of excitement, but as child, and adult, it has lots to offer. The best seasons are summer AND winter - go skiing/snowmobiling/skating, and you may never miss Ca again... oh, and now winter "tubing", my son's favorite...

However, beware...There are "old timers" who know that the "foreigners" butter their bread, but the only thing worse than the "outa-towners" are the "outa-staters"!!

Once you're accepted, you won't find a warmer/better/nicer person. At Newark Airport, I can always find the Mainers boarding area - they have this healthy "glow" surrounding them (and yet, maybe naive to a fault...) Great place to vacation, not the most worldly "plugged in" people , but heavy on charm and what is truly important in life. Sometimes I view Maine as being the polar opposite with how I find LA. You may want to travel the state before moving...

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by Cereal:

what is new england like?

Kind of like old England....but shinier
Drats! You beat me to it Super 8! :D
Doh! Me, too!

I was going to say it's like old England but with more brighteners and a fresh lemon scent! ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived