Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did I choose my night photography tripod?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of your recent posts link to the same article about the airplane cockpit. It's a cool article.

Is there another article about choosing a night photography tripod? I'd like to see that.

Tripods are our friends. I use one when it is possible and needed.

I've been through a few different ones, mostly nice ones but older - so metal and heavy.

The Gitzo Reporter I have now is a keeper.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Both of your recent posts link to the same article about the airplane cockpit. It's a cool article.

Is there another article about choosing a night photography tripod? I'd like to see that.

Eventually the article appears but you have to scroll down and click on a link to see it. :)

I wound up buying a carbon fiber tripod by a company named "Induro". I think its kind of a knock-off brand but the tripod itself has been really nice. This was after buying a couple of the common Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripods but eventually they both broke too many key parts... Clamps and leg locks break, screws loosen and disappear, etc. Turns out, keeping it in the car trunk in the winter causes parts to get brittle and break from the cold. I eventually combined enough parts to make one serviceable tripod and then I decided to pop for the Induro.

Eventually the article appears but you have to scroll down and click on a link to see it. :)

I wound up buying a carbon fiber tripod by a company named "Induro". I think its kind of a knock-off brand but the tripod itself has been really nice. This was after buying a couple of the common Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripods but eventually they both broke too many key parts... Clamps and leg locks break, screws loosen and disappear, etc. Turns out, keeping it in the car trunk in the winter causes parts to get brittle and break from the cold. I eventually combined enough parts to make one serviceable tripod and then I decided to pop for the Induro.

Thanks, I'll take another look. I've had a few Bogen/Manfrotto tripods throughout the decades. I gues I just flipped them before they broke, although I've heard stories like yours many times.

Carbon fiber is nice, strong and light.

My Gitzo came up on craigslist for $30, it has had a beating but it's solid in all respects. So I bought it and sold the Bogen tripod I had.

The Gitzo is metal, not super heavy but not light. Good range of heights for most shooting and very solid and stable. Quality.

OK, I found the link and read the article.

If you need or simply prefer using a tripod, it is best to get a really good one. I agree with the premise and the choice makes sense.

In a way, tripods are like women's swim suits, the less there is the more it costs. A lighter tripod is ia must for hiking but it is more important that it is stable.

So, here is a trick. Carry 3 stout cloth bags, they should be 6-8" in diameter when filled and about 12" long. Also carry a small garden shovel, a good, solid one.

When you get to your location, use the shovel to scoop dirt into the bags and lay them over the feet of the tripod to stabilize it. When you are done, empty the dirt back out where you got it and pack the bags and shovel.

We had an instructor in college who taught us that trick, he took a 4x5 or 8x10 view camera out into the field and it could catch so much wind that a tripod could blow over.

Haha, yes, I've done something similarbefore as well if I absolutely needed to, although with the larger Feisol, I find I don't have to do that nearly as much since that thing is so stable. I think one of the things I did was fill bags with small rocks and place them by the legs.

Haha, yes, I've done something similarbefore as well if I absolutely needed to, although with the larger Feisol, I find I don't have to do that nearly as much since that thing is so stable. I think one of the things I did was fill bags with small rocks and place them by the legs.

I've also seen bags hung off of a hook on the bottom of the center post but I don't like that. It it mobile and can swing, not good.

I found a Gorilla Pod at Goodwill, every photographer should have one. Small, light and it will do things that no standard tripod can do.

I've found mine very handy for positioning my Tascam DR-40 at live events, you can put it well out of everybody's way.