Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Keith Tippett

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the few Crimson songs to feature Piano. Here is Keith on Top of the Pops in 1970 with a guy named Greg singing. I think Tippett could have kept up with Emerson but Tippett Lake and Palmer wouldn't be as marketable.

The album version which is longer and quite different.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Obit; https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/17/keith-tippett-obituary

I swear I heard a piece of music on the radio one night which had Keith Tippett playing some tasty piano timbres behind David Bowie - think it was a live recording.

Need to do some research on that!

I bet piano tuners hated him!

RIP

Edit; According to The Complete David Bowie it must have been the American pianist Mike Garson who played on Bowie's Aladdin Sane LP ( Bowie wanted his own bit of jazz hipness after hearing Tippett's playing with Crimson.

His wife, Julie Driscoll Tippets has a pretty impressive career in music herself. I became aware of her during her Brian Auger days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Driscoll_Tippetts

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

One of the greats. I wouldn't have known, if not for this posting. So many deaths gets blocked out by single-focused narratives that soak up all the news bandwidth. I've lost track of how many deaths of creative artists I have only found out about weeks later, due to the pandemic and related stuff dominating the airwaves.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager