Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Things, stuff you were/are wrong about

Me before 2012: "Being the best is most important"

Me after 2012, being hospitalized because of the above: "Having fun is most important.

Me in 2012 was wrong. I even fought a psychologist about that.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I was wrong because I drank the Kool AId based on what people told me years ago about a certain keyboard or piece of equipment. In two cases it cost me money to get rid of it. I know what you mean. I have been wrong about a lot of stuff like my dad having to go into assisted living which I haven't wanted to face as he was so independent. He had a slight stroke and is OK but his short term memory was affected so it's for the best.

is Dad on RX blood thinners ?

Been taking them for 2 years.

About gear, I have an info conflict on the MODX 88.

I banged on that key bed for an hour at GC. I felt it was suitable for what it was.

Yet, there are a few highly regarded folks here that say the MODX 88 key bed is crep.

That doesn't square with my experience. I don't own the MODX 88 and I have been stalling

getting it. I would feel very stupid if the key bed action went to crep after 2 years of ownership.

Long term purchaser here, thus the over abundance of caution.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

No well it just happened from a piece of plaque that may have broken and caused it. His short term memory is fried. I am hoping rehab will bring some of it back.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Me before 2012: "Being the best is most important"

Me after 2012, being hospitalized because of the above: "Having fun is most important.

Me in 2012 was wrong. I even fought a psychologist about that.

but you adapted. Thats a positive.

I have one; " Time is more important than Money ".

[70's Songwriter]

Just because this alluring woman has no time for loud rock, blues and R&B doesn"t mean we can"t have a long and productive relationship....

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Funny you say that actually. I was out for a walk a couple weeks ago during a light rain and came across a HUGE frog that caused me to stop in my tracks. It was so big I couldn't really grasp it and we just stared at each other for a bit. It didn't look like a bullfrog at all, and didn't look like those nasty cane toads that unfortunately are making their way up Florida (those are truly huge). I googled frogs in Florida afterward and it was certainly a southern leopard frog--but six or seven inches long and it's head was about three inches from the pavement. It jumped away from me with a mighty six foot leap into the bushes and I just backed slowly away. Wiki says they get 13cm (5 inches) but this looked bigger than that I swear. I told my kids and they just thought I was joking.

no frog selfie ?

Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy! Those frogs will be part of Taco Bell's meat supply within a decade. This assumes that Nature doesn't eat us first.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Just because this alluring woman has no time for loud rock, blues and R&B doesn"t mean we can"t have a long and productive relationship....

Just because this alluring woman has no time for loud rock, blues and R&B doesn"t mean we can"t have a long and productive relationship..On Zoom... ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I bet this thread would be much shorter if it was called "All the times you were right."

Do lucky guesses count?... :laugh:

LOL

Thats good... as in 'lucky in having long term relationships with pets ' ?

I am lucky growing weeds in my yard ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Funny you say that actually. I was out for a walk a couple weeks ago during a light rain and came across a HUGE frog that caused me to stop in my tracks. It was so big I couldn't really grasp it and we just stared at each other for a bit. It didn't look like a bullfrog at all, and didn't look like those nasty cane toads that unfortunately are making their way up Florida (those are truly huge). I googled frogs in Florida afterward and it was certainly a southern leopard frog--but six or seven inches long and it's head was about three inches from the pavement. It jumped away from me with a mighty six foot leap into the bushes and I just backed slowly away. Wiki says they get 13cm (5 inches) but this looked bigger than that I swear. I told my kids and they just thought I was joking.

no frog selfie ?

Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy! Those frogs will be part of Taco Bell's meat supply within a decade. This assumes that Nature doesn't eat us first.

your first mistak... oooops, you first assumption is I eat meat.

Sorry, boys and and girl, meat eating is going away like cassettes.

[70's Songwriter]

Lets see, there have been many times, both in the music world and in real life. Here's a few music related ones.

1985: A friend buys a Roland TB303 and 606 on a close-out from a music store, decides he doesn't like them, and offers them to me for some ridiculous price, I think like $200 for the pair. I play with them for a couple of weeks, decide it sounds nothing like a bass, and decline the offer, and give them back.

1998: Having wanted a modular synth since playing with one in college, I'd amassed a nice little Doepfer setup. Then I discover the MOTM modular, and decide who would possible want these tiny Euro modules when you have the MOTM monster. Still have and love my MOTM, but got back into Euro 4-5 years ago.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Here's something I was completely wrong about;

'Abbey Road' - 50th Anniversary Box Set

I thought there would be a huge nostalgic resurgence in Beatles material

AND late 60's pop music, UK band album material

WRONG.

Sure, 20 people here talked about it. A few towns in England got

tourist activity after the 50th event.

Other than those 2 bubbles, the buzz faded in a few months.

And todays eBay box set 50th anniversary prices hover around $100.

As in 'whatever'.

This is an example of not expecting much spread of nostalgia , other than what you

love.

[70's Songwriter]

[70's Songwriter]

"I'm not a synth guy."

In a similar vein: "I think the B3 and Leslie combo is overrated, there's nothing wrong with organ patches nowadays"

"Digital pianos are as good as acoustic pianos and have less maintenance too."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"I'm not a synth guy."

In a similar vein: "I think the B3 and Leslie combo is overrated, there's nothing wrong with organ patches nowadays"

" I am happy to pay $4000, or $5000 for a new keyboard. "

[70's Songwriter]

Uh-oh. I still stand by that statement in some contexts, especially for families of limited means with beginning students.

I think we had a pissing match ... fascinating discussion on that subject a while back.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Uh-oh. I still stand by that statement in some contexts, especially for families of limited means with beginning students.

I think we had a pissing match ... fascinating discussion on that subject a while back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with digital pianos. They have their place and I recommend them often myself. But for a period I thought they were good enough until I owned a real acoustic and now I know the difference.

(That's also leaving out the models such as Casio's Grand Hybrid. While I have tried them, I haven't had the opportunity to really experience them to see if I thought they would be an acceptable substitute for me at home. I hear they could be.)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"I'm not a synth guy."

I distinctly remember you telling me this verbatum at NAMM this past January. I hope I had somthing to do with changing your mind, as well as that other Dave, what's his name. Oh yeah. Smith, that's it. :cool:

:nopity:

I dont have anything to contribute. Just checkin on you all. :D

I think that's called lurking ?

nothing to contribute ? its ok if you want to make up something :)

[70's Songwriter]

"I think the B3 and Leslie combo is overrated, there's nothing wrong with organ patches nowadays"

You need to drive north a little bit and spend some time hanging out with dazzjazz. ;)

Oh indeed, that is definitely on my to-do list. I learnt how wrong I was about the BB3 / Leslie may years ago but one can never be re-educated enough ;)

"I'm not a synth guy."

I distinctly remember you telling me this verbatum at NAMM this past January. I hope I had somthing to do with changing your mind, as well as that other Dave, what's his name. Oh yeah. Smith, that's it. :cool:

:D I did dig the sounds I was hearing in that booth, though if you gave me one of those boards today, I'm still not sure I'd know what to do with it to make anything interesting soundingâ¦