Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha P-121/5 and iPad

I finally had a chance to put my P-121 through its paces with an iPad connected (via a single cable into the USB to Host connector on the P-121). Since some folks have been wondering on a couple of other threads about how well this combination worked, I thought I"d report what I foundâ¦.

In a nutshell, from what I"ve seen so far, the connectivity and MIDI implement worked exactly how I would want.

When using GarageBand, for example, the P-121 MIDI data (velocity, sustain, etc) found its way into the app with little effort on my part. In return, the GarageBand audio (from its sound generation engine) flowed into the P-121 and on through its headphones/speakers.

iRealPro worked great too. For those not familiar with this app: the user creates a chord chart and enters other pertinent information, such as time signature, tempo, type of music, etc. Besides being able to create and read the charts, the app can generate a basic drum, bass and/or piano accompaniment based on the inputed chords and other information. When used with the P-121, the app"s audio flowed into the P-121, allowing me to play a keyboard part (using the P-121 sounds) accompanied by bass and drums, with all sounds coming through the keyboard"s speakers/headphones. It was actually pretty cool.

The volume control slider on the P-121 simultaneously controls the P-121"s and app"s output. Thus the right mix is achieved by adjusting the volume of the app/iPad. Also, if the goal is to play a voice from an app by itself (without the P-121 sounding), a simple key combination on the P-121 toggles between Local Control on and off.

More info about the MIDI implementation can be found here (under 'Manuals'):

P-121/5 downloads

If I missed something of interest, let me know and I"ll see if I can check it out.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it all works for you.

I may have been one of those whose prior comments about iPad connectivity you may have read.

I have been using my P121 for three months with my iPad and everything just works.

Only criteria to note is to use a genuine Apple Camera Adapter and not some cheap rip off, the model with both USB and power sockets will enable the iPad to be charged at the same time.

Col

Only criteria to note is to use a genuine Apple Camera Adapter and not some cheap rip off, the model with both USB and power sockets will enable the iPad to be charged at the same time.

Yes, agree, I use exactly the same thing. Being able to charge the iPad while using USB is quite useful.