Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GMLabs D9X ?

I've been thinking this might be a perfect controller for B3X on my iPad. Now that I have a lot more spare time I'm wondering if I might give the assembly kit a go, rather than buy one fully assembled (which may not be possible these days anyway). Has anyone put one together? Skill-levels, caveats or advice are welcome.

Here for the gear.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the kit and built it following the excellent step-by-step instructions. I use it with my Gemini module. It went together beautifully and worked perfectly first time. I even modified it to accept an external footswitch to control rotary speed. I am an electronics technologist with my own repair shop and I do this type of work daily but honestly, if you have the patience and good soldering skills it should work out. I really enjoyed building it, it reminded me of building models as a kid. I would recommend a soldering station to avoid heat damage when soldering. Good luck and let us know how it goes! Cheers, Ken

I built the original D9U which is a lot more basic. It might be an age thing but I found it quite hard - might be losing my edge! Also before you solder the daughterboard onto the main board you have to double check your work for things like solder bridges 'cos there's no going back. I've built a lot of stuff over the years, digital and analogue, but this project was surprisingly tricky. Anyway you can read through the instructions and look at the step by step guide.

It also took a bit of time installing Arduino and adding/including the necessary libraries required to program the chip.

I know the kit is quite a lot cheaper but I think I would go for the pre-assembled next time. Its already programmed so thats another potential headache avoided. I'm still considering one for my Gemini but its just a bit expensive.