Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPhone Recording without USB

Has anyone successfully recorded decent sound along with video of their keyboard on an iPhone or iPad ? Neither my CP4 nor mixer has a USB audio output, and I have tried one of those microphone/headphone breakout adapters for the iPhone to no avail. Thanks in advance.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use this but I'm pretty sure it can do what you want:

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gomixer/

Since I use a laptop to get my sounds, I record audio and/or midi in the computer as I play, and sync it to the video later. More work for sure, but it sounds as good as it ever will. Also, with the midi data recorded I can fix clams, render new audio & sync.

Besides the Roland GO:Mixer, other possibilities are the Line 6 Sonic Port and the iRig Stream, or any low-cost mixer that has a USB port, i.e. Behringer Xenyx Q502USB, ART USB Mix, Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There are three approaches to getting audio into an iPhone:

1. Analog(ue), with things like the Tascam iXZ or BandLab Link Analog into the headphone socket (via a Lightning adapter on newer iPhones)

2. Digital, with any of the devices mentioned above, and many others. I've just invested about $60 in a Zoom UM22, which does everything I need - you'll need a USB/lightning adapter (or Camera Connection Kit) with most of these solutions.

3. MIDI, using a MIDI interface (either a dedicated iPhone MIDI interface, or a class-compliant USB interface with USB/Lightning adapter or CCK

(In all cases, video is via the phone's built-in camera.)

Cheers, Mike.

You could record the CP4 to a USB stick (using the CP4's USB port) and then replace the iPhone audio with the audio from the USB stick. The audio replacement can be done with a DAW. If you clap at the beginning of the video it's very easy to sync the audio to video by sync'ing the USB audio clap waveform with the iPhone audio clap waveform.

I did exactly this last night for a Facebook live video with my MODX and iPhone X. You have an MODX listed in your sig. Just connect a usb from the MODX to the lightening port on your iPhone. In my case it was a the USB-B end connected to MODX and the other end (USB-A) connected to a Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter. The MODX audio interface takes care of all latency. No issues. You can even run tracks vocals through the audio input. I was messing with the vocals last night but it was a little distorted so I gave up.

I just let the front facing camera on my phone or iPad take care of the video and it's fine for what I need.

Other methods would be the iRig series as other people have mentioned which are quite flexible as they allow you to connect say a keyboard to a small mixing desk and then connect this to the iRig and then into your phone/ipad.

A third method is to get hold of a Trrs to Trs adaptor, The trrs which acts as an attenuator going into your phone/ipad and the trs adaptor connected back to either to your instrument or mixing desk.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Another solution is to get a used LG phone, there are quite a few models that have outstanding stereo audio recording Well placed and it's 'you're there' kind of quality.

The Flac file it records to is lossless, and you've got the full screen for seeing the files you've created and doing minor editing within the app. People have been consistently surprised at how good the quality is of the recordings made with this phone. The audio playback is also best-of-class, suitable for hi-res audio files.

I've used the V20 and now have the V40

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I've been doing what Al Quinn suggests, although I record to Logic Pro X

I do a clap, then start recording audio. Once I am mixed down, I "export" to disc the audio file.

I then use iMovie and import the iPhone video. I extract the iPhone audio and delete it.

Then I import the newly recorded keys audio. I line up the"clap" and away we go.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

If you need to record your video on the iPhone with the audio already there, as opposed to recording audio and video separately and syncing them, then you'll need a simple two-channel device that works with your iPhone. iRig makes some things.

I personally use a Yamaha MG10XU USB mixer, but you can just take the audio outs from your mixer into the iOS interface of your choice and get the same result.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I do a clap, then start recording audio. Once I am mixed down, I "export" to disc the audio file.

I then use iMovie and import the iPhone video. I extract the iPhone audio and delete it.

Then I import the newly recorded keys audio. I line up the"clap" and away we go.

David, I'm using Logic Pro X too. I Import the video with it's audio into Logic Pro X. Then I line up the clap in Logic Pro X. And then the last step is to Export the Audio to Movie with the video audio track deselected. I use the L and R markers to mark the selection before exporting. That's it. Everything is done in Logic Pro X -- no need for iMovie. Thought you would want to know.

David, I'm using Logic Pro X too. I Import the video with it's audio into Logic Pro X. Then I line up the clap in Logic Pro X. And then the last step is to Export the Audio to Movie with the video audio track deselected. I use the L and R markers to mark the selection before exporting. That's it. Everything is done in Logic Pro X -- no need for iMovie. Thought you would want to know.

Thank you for this! I was just figuring it out as I went along.

This will streamline things.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I have been making videos for nearly thirty years and editing on a PC/Mac all that time.

You are not going to get top quality audio out of a mobile phone, yes it can be acceptable but a simple add on directional mike can make all the difference.

The next thing is the App you use to record and by far the best that I have used is called Filmic Pro. It is so good the BBC even used iPhones and the App to record one of their Technology shows and they edited the show within the iPhone. The broadcast show was indeed very good.

For editing on my iPhone or iPad I use Pinnacle Studio which I find better than iMovie.

On a Computer or Mac the absolute best Video Editing software is called Resolve and it is available foc from the Black Magic Design website, Google ... Da Vinci Resolve.

Resolve blitzes FCPX for editing and the free version has all the output options you are likely to require Youtube Vimeo etc. The Pro version give ps Broadcast TV output options which are in another league.

Col

Thanks for your ideas, fellow KC folks. I actually found that a USB-powered audio interface I had was getting enough juice from the iPad to work, so I"m all set without workarounds. Good tips on software and processing - thanks!
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your ideas, fellow KC folks. I actually found that a USB-powered audio interface I had was getting enough juice from the iPad to work, so I"m all set without workarounds. Good tips on software and processing - thanks!

Which one? Just curious, this is always good to know...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

A little pricier, but if you"re looking to replace your current mixer the Yamaha MG10XU is around $200.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG10XU--yamaha-mg10xu-10-channel-mixer-with-usb-and-fx

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

microphone/headphone breakout adapters for the iPhone.. wont a Y cable work ???

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The Y adapter that was described as working with an iPad did not work. I have (now) read that Apple"s mic and headphone connector is different from nonApple devices.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I"m happy you"ve found your solution. I"ll contribute got the sake of others who might be in the same boat.

My wife and I have been doing a few videos and livestreams here and there to keep our friends entertained during this time of social distancing. I have found that interfaces into the iPad are unreliable as sometimes there seems to be enough power, and sometimes not.

At the advice of a few KC members, I tried OBS on my PC which is ridiculously easy to use. Just set your video input device and audio input device, and you"re off to the races. For the video I use an HD WebCam. For the audio I use my Roland interface as the computer provides enough power to reliably power the interface as opposed to the iPad.

I just ordered a Mackie USB mixer with some basic onboard effects to simplify setup as now I"m using a mixer and separate vocal reverb unit.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

The Y adapter that was described as working with an iPad did not work. I have (now) read that Apple"s mic and headphone connector is different from nonApple devices.

This is true. The connector is TRRS while most cables you"d think of plugging in there are TRS.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8