Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How good is the Yamaha MODX8 Piano Sound?

cassdad

I'm considering purchasing the Yamaha MODX8 to supersede my current Yamaha MOXF8. I am very happy with the "Full Concert Grand" sounds and playability on the MOXF8, however, I would like to know how it compares to the "new" Grand Piano sound on the MODX8 (which I've read is the same as on the Montage 8). Specifically, there has been discussion in the past about the poor harmonic tone on specific MOXF8 grand piano samples, particularly on the C# and D notes right above middle C. Can someone who has an MODX8 please tell me if the sampling has improved on the MODX8 vs this "sampling flaw" in the old MOXF8?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

Portable Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano); (2) Yamaha DXR-10 powered speakers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, this isn't a significant jump overall. It's the same class instrument from different years. Both have the GHS action and are trickle down from either the Motif or Montage. You get a lot of MOXF8 AWM2 sample libraries included, plus some newer libraries they made for Montage/MODX - I believe there is a new CFX sample set as well as a Bosendorfer (free download?). One of the biggest differences iis a second sound engine in an 8 operator FM synth - if that is exciting to you, then yes for sure you should take a good look at the MODX8.

Questions: 1gb of flash memory in the MOXF8? What piano libraries are available for that which would breath some fresh air into your MOXF8?

Have you ever hooked up a laptop or iPad to your MOXF8? This is another way to get some really great new piano sounds.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

It's ok, not the best and not the worst. You'll need to tweak it (or use the other pianos) to get "cut-through" in a band situation. It's pretty typically a yammie piano :) They do have several available onboard though. One caveat (jmo) the keybed is pretty awful, especially after about a month of use.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I'm considering purchasing the Yamaha MODX8 to supersede my current Yamaha MOXF8. I am very happy with the "Full Concert Grand" sounds and playability on the MOXF8, however, I would like to know how it compares to the "new" Grand Piano sound on the MODX8 (which I've read is the same as on the Montage 8). Specifically, there has been discussion in the past about the poor harmonic tone on specific MOXF8 grand piano samples, particularly on the C# and D notes right above middle C. Can someone who has an MODX8 please tell me if the sampling has improved on the MODX8 vs this "sampling flaw" in the old MOXF8?

All the MOXF pianos are also in the MODX, using the same samples as they used in the MOXF. However there are also additional piano sets in the MODX (CFX, S700) or available to download into it (the Bosendorfer).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow, thank you SO much, ElmerJFudd, Miden, and Another Scott!!! I was not expecting such a thorough response, but your response really helped! Good finds on the videos. To answer EJF's questions: Some time ago I did get the flash memory, and purchased and loaded a piano which sounded great on-line, and unfortunately sounded terrible when I played it at home on my MOXF8 (BTW, I have 3 MOXF8's, all identical, but I keep them in different locales). I also use Logic X, so have played the Logic virtual sounds using my MOXF8 as a controller. Unfortunately, personal taste, of course, but I have not found any virtual sounds that even compare, in my opinion, to the built-in hardware Yamaha concert grand.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I have additional reasons for considering the MODX8: 1) on all my MOXF8's, after extensive playing, the keys become "clackity" / noisy. I've taken them apart, lubricated them, replaced key sets, everything I can think of, and can't find the reason they become so noisy. I have also had several keys need replacement, and now that the MOXF8 is out of production, I'm concerned about the longterm longevity, thus considering a more current keyboard (I'm hoping Yamaha might have improved the key bed); 2) I am excited about what I'll call the improved "user interface" of the MODX8, which is of great value to me for live performance..... e.g. the new "Live Sets" function would be a god-send to me, as well as the large LCD being a significant advance to help programming. Plus I think the overall layout is much better, as well as finally getting rid of all the "modes", etc.

But of key importance to me is primarily the piano sound quality and playability (including keyboard feel / action), followed closed with portability, ie. light weight. For me, both the MOXF8 and MODX8 best satisfy my personal requirements. After listening to the videos via high-quality headphones, I have to agree that the MODX8 does not seem to provide a "significant jump". However, and I admit it could just be the recording, but I played my MOXF8 along with some of the songs in the videos, and there might be a slightly better sample / sound quality on the MODX8 compared to the MOXF8. I know I personally played a new Montage 8, and I did think the piano sounds were of a slightly better quality, which I hope would be the case with the MODX8. And then there's just being bored to death with coronavirus isolation, so maybe I'm just having a viral case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Thank you, again, for your response.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

Portable Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano); (2) Yamaha DXR-10 powered speakers

I'm a fan of the Full Concert Grand (CFIIIS) sample as well, in fact it's why I chose my Motif. As Scott mentioned, the MODX has the MOXF sounds plus more. Now, and this is me personally, the lost midi capabilities (no assigning multiple sounds to one midi channel, which rules out a simple second controller) and lack of a good sequencer (even for sketches) outweigh any benefit to a few improved sounds. I own a Motif XF8, but it's the same dilemma I had with the Montage. I could have bought either new, but went with one of the last two Motif XF8s in the US warehouse.

As far as the CFX being better than the CFIIIS, they're different. I haven't noticed the sample issue you describe, as my pet peeve is an octave down on the S6 grand sample. I've played extensively on the Motif XF and for about seven to eight hours on the Montage 8, both of which are respectively equivalent sound-wise to your two options. The CFX has an unpleasant metallic artificial sound to the FF layer/highest velocity layer. Like a keyboard from 20 years ago bad. I feel like it's a downgrade if you're playing a lot of solo piano or anything exposed. For pop music/rock, it's fine. The new uprights are really good in my opinion, as I always felt that was one thing missing from the previous generation (I play a lot of ragtime and have spend countless hours tweaking to get a decent piano for that kind of music).

If you had that many issues with the MOXF, there have been complaints about the MODX action getting noisy as well. For what it's worth, I think the MOXF8 action is a little better for piano playing than the MODX8's, even though they're designated as the same (we know there are several versions of GHS however).

I wouldn't do it.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, MX61, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Behringer CAT

Yamaha Pacifica 112V & APX600 | Washburn WI64 | Ibanez BTB-675 | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm using the Bosendorfer Grand pianos in my MODX.

The "Pop Grand" is very well suited to band situations. Not sure if the library is still a free download fro Yamaha.

Once thing about The MODX: If you take the time with the learning curve, you can really dial any of the sounds in to your liking from their starting points.

The touch screen really makes this nice.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Wow, thank you SO much, ElmerJFudd, Miden, and Another Scott!!! I was not expecting such a thorough response, but your response really helped! Good finds on the videos. To answer EJF's questions: Some time ago I did get the flash memory, and purchased and loaded a piano which sounded great on-line, and unfortunately sounded terrible when I played it at home on my MOXF8 (BTW, I have 3 MOXF8's, all identical, but I keep them in different locales). I also use Logic X, so have played the Logic virtual sounds using my MOXF8 as a controller. Unfortunately, personal taste, of course, but I have not found any virtual sounds that even compare, in my opinion, to the built-in hardware Yamaha concert grand.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I have additional reasons for considering the MODX8: 1) on all my MOXF8's, after extensive playing, the keys become "clackity" / noisy. I've taken them apart, lubricated them, replaced key sets, everything I can think of, and can't find the reason they become so noisy. I have also had several keys need replacement, and now that the MOXF8 is out of production, I'm concerned about the longterm longevity, thus considering a more current keyboard (I'm hoping Yamaha might have improved the key bed); 2) I am excited about what I'll call the improved "user interface" of the MODX8, which is of great value to me for live performance..... e.g. the new "Live Sets" function would be a god-send to me, as well as the large LCD being a significant advance to help programming. Plus I think the overall layout is much better, as well as finally getting rid of all the "modes", etc.

But of key importance to me is primarily the piano sound quality and playability (including keyboard feel / action), followed closed with portability, ie. light weight. For me, both the MOXF8 and MODX8 best satisfy my personal requirements. After listening to the videos via high-quality headphones, I have to agree that the MODX8 does not seem to provide a "significant jump". However, and I admit it could just be the recording, but I played my MOXF8 along with some of the songs in the videos, and there might be a slightly better sample / sound quality on the MODX8 compared to the MOXF8. I know I personally played a new Montage 8, and I did think the piano sounds were of a slightly better quality, which I hope would be the case with the MODX8. And then there's just being bored to death with coronavirus isolation, so maybe I'm just having a viral case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Thank you, again, for your response.

Horde your pennies for a bit and jump tier when you"re ready. If piano is the focus you get a better action in the CP88. If you like the enormous sound palette go for a Montage 8.

There are really great software pianos available. None of them come built in with Logic Pro X (I haven"t downloaded the latest version, not sure if they"ve added anything new on that front). If you"re interested in third party software piano libraries you can host in Logic just let us know. There"s plenty to check out.

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

That's a very (unintentionally) Aussie thread title.

How good is the Keyboard Corner?

Indeed? Seems that's a standard way of phrasing question (insert "x" for "Yamaha MODX8 Piano Sound") in the midwestern US...must be an inside joke I'm missing. How good is the rotary simulation on an SK1, for example.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, MX61, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Behringer CAT

Yamaha Pacifica 112V & APX600 | Washburn WI64 | Ibanez BTB-675 | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Indeed? Seems that's a standard way of phrasing question (insert "x" for "Yamaha MODX8 Piano Sound") in the midwestern US...must be an inside joke I'm missing. How good is the rotary simulation on an SK1, for example.

Max, you are of course correct. But in Australia this phrase is not actually a question. If someone says to you "How good is [whatever]", they are really saying:

"[whatever] is really bloody good".

Usage example: When our Prime Minister won the election, he said "How good's Australia?", which really meant, "Australia is bloody grouse mate", which really meant "Thanks for voting for me".

One can even abbreviate it to just "How good"?

Usage example: You're sitting around the fire at sunset sinking a few tinnies (drinking a few cans of beer). You turn to your China (friend) and say: "How good?" Translation - "This is fantastic!"

Max, you are of course correct. But in Australia this phrase is not actually a question. If someone says to you "How good is [whatever]", they are really saying:

"[whatever] is really bloody good".

Usage example, when our Prime Minister won the election, he said "How good's Australia?", which really meant, "Australia is bloody grouse mate", which really meant "Thanks for voting for me".

One can even abbreviate it to just "How good"?

Context: Sitting around the fire at sunset sinking a few tinnies (cans of beer). You turn to your China (friend) and say: "How good?" Translation - "This is fantastic!"

Okay, wow, interesting...thanks for that.

Occasionally people here do say, "How good is that?" In that context it means about the same, basically "That's awesome" or "How cool is that?". I get it now. I apologize for any perceived insults or anything...I wasn't used to that usage in this kind of situation. ;)

I apologize for any perceived insults or anything...I wasn't used to that usage in this kind of situation. ;)

Of course not and I wouldn't expect you to be. You have zero need to apologise for anything, I was not at all insulted nor did I intend any insult to OP. I was just internally reflecting on how if this thread title were composed by an Aussie I might expect a glowing review of the MODX piano sounds immediately underneath, as opposed to a legitimate question.

I love playing around with the vagaries of our wonderful language and its application in different parts of the world. I do a little volunteer work teaching conversational Australian English to new arrivals in this country. Too much fun!

How good is the Music Player Network?