Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple updates Logic Pro X

Apple Announces Logix Pro X 10.5

apple_logic-pro-update_macbookpro-ipadpro_05122020_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

Live looping, updates to EXS24 and much much more. Looks very impressive.

Since my primary music (Windows) PC with Cubase and its copy protection key are in another state I've been using the Logic Pro X trial since mid March. As a Logic user from back in the days when it was on Windows, going back to Logic has been amazing. I went ahead and bought it last week even though my trial wasn't up. I've really enjoyed using it, it has been rock solid and very intuitive. Of course, this means that if I stick with this that more Apple hardware is in my future....

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm still on Logic 9 and this looks a whole lot different! I recently bought Ableton Live 10 and started to learn it for the live looping capabilities. I wonder if the updated Logic might make Ableton obsolete for these specific purposes.
It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Logic is the best deal out there in DAW's, but you never know when an Apple update is going to break your third party plugs and send developers scrambling to fix things.

True, same can be said about other non-music platforms like Adobe. It is never wise to update right away and avoid the automatic system updates.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Nice update! Remix FX looks like a quick way to get some the sounds you needed a lot of mouse clicks for. A strong addition to the Logic multi-fx suite (Phat and Step).

Sampler looks interesting too, with great filters from Alchemy. I guess I am in the minority when it comes to EXS24. I never gelled with the GUI. But Sampler seems to have integrated the desirable bits from EXS24. Hopefully round robin will be simpler to do now.

This looks good! I switched from Logic 9 to Cubase in 2012; don't plan on switching back. That said, I probably have hundreds of tracks done in Logic over the years. I recently downloaded the free trial; would like to remix some of the older pieces and create library tracks out of them.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

I just hope that Sampler doesn't totally screw up all the existing projects I have with EXS24 instruments in them. I also hope the update doesn't mess up my system (still on High Sierra 10.13.6!) but I am very, very curious.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

would like to remix some of the older pieces and create library tracks out of them.

Following your post, I checked out your cinematic ambience and solo piano playlists. Really lovely Roger, and I am enjoying them very much. Your music is very empathic and seems a perfect fit for a library collection. Would you please keep us in the loop on your adventures? All the best!!

I just hope that Sampler doesn't totally screw up all the existing projects I have with EXS24 instruments in them. I also hope the update doesn't mess up my system (still on High Sierra 10.13.6!) but I am very, very curious.

You may find this thread helpful. I was on High Sierra and used the linked page on Sweetwater to navigate upgrading to Catalina. It's gone well.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3035938/updating-to-catalina-success-story#Post3035938

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

10.4 was an amazing upgrade, not sure this one will affect me as much (as I have Kontakt now and a fair number of instruments....)...but good 'ol esx24 certainly needed some attention!

Any new drummers in this one?

But... it forces me (us) to be on the latest OS version. Of course that isn't a bad or wrong thing on their part, but for me that would require upgrading or finding another solution to many of my essential non-music tools, like Microsoft Office, and the Adobe Creative Suite. Whether it is adopting their subscription models (which I hate) or finding other solutions it is rather expensive. So this update, as tempting as it is, will just have to wait. It's a shame, as I'm very interested in the auto-sampling updates and many other aspects of this release beyond the loop manipulation stuff. Oh well...

Jerry

But... it forces me (us) to be on the latest OS version. Of course that isn't a bad or wrong thing on their part, but for me that would require upgrading or finding another solution to many of my essential non-music tools, like Microsoft Office, and the Adobe Creative Suite. Whether it is adopting their subscription models (which I hate) or finding other solutions it is rather expensive. So this update, as tempting as it is, will just have to wait. It's a shame, as I'm very interested in the auto-sampling updates and many other aspects of this release beyond the loop manipulation stuff. Oh well...

Jerry

I'm on Mojave and it works. How far back are you on the OS?

-Mike Martin

Casio

I'm on High Sierra and will be sticking with that. It is stable, has no current vulnerabilities to malware, and all the apps I use work fine.

I get a little tired of learning new interfaces when OSX is updated, especially iMovie. I'm on the learning curve with Logic Pro X; I see no compelling reason to upgrade and I don't want to learn ANOTHER interface.

I'm with you. Everything I'm using in the Now works just fine. I don't see the systemic upheaval as worthwhile. I do like the upgrades, especially the EXS24's backwards-compatible transition. I have a large library for that, TY. However, I just got this Mac settled a couple of years ago; it has some life in it yet. I'm itching to make the Omnisphere leap, SSDs and all, so it makes sense to sit tight & read with care as the new Logic shakes out. I'm too old to run screaming through a system revamp more than once every few years. :crazy:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Loving this update. It's good news for me.

- just fresh installed Catalina on both Macs

- it kicks Ableton officially off my wish/G.A.S. list! I can settle into Logic and not look back.

A small fine point of order:

Shouldn't it be X.5? I thought the X was a Roman 10 right? Or am I completely off? The press release has it as Logic Pro X 10.5 - isn't that redundant?

Sierra 10.12...

It ain"t been broke...

:idk:

Jerry

I'm on Mojave and it works. How far back are you on the OS?

Nice update! Remix FX looks like a quick way to get some the sounds you needed a lot of mouse clicks for. A strong addition to the Logic multi-fx suite (Phat and Step).

Sampler looks interesting too, with great filters from Alchemy. I guess I am in the minority when it comes to EXS24. I never gelled with the GUI.

Minority? You think?

I don't think I've ever met anybody who didn't think EXS24 needed a *massive* makeover to bring it out of the 1990s.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

It's just the people I've been hanging with perhaps. Lightning fast in the old EXS interface. Small wonder they hold strong opinions. We shall see what they think of progress ...

Did you notice five ADSR's, four LFO's, 20 mod routings, 22 filter types?

Sampler looks interesting too, with great filters from Alchemy. I guess I am in the minority when it comes to EXS24. I never gelled with the GUI.

Minority? You think?

I don't think I've ever met anybody who didn't think EXS24 needed a *massive* makeover to bring it out of the 1990s.

Yeah, once my learning curve got better, I love what I can get out of EXS24. However, the GUI is horrible.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I just put in a request to Apple to review it for MPN. If they say yes, we'll do a mega-thread! I'll keep us posted.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse