Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC K8.2 Issue

One of my K8.2 monitors is turning off and on intermittently, even when no connections are made. It started during a gig when the sound guy decided to feed additional audio into it for me.

I'm unable to get help from QSC currently, so I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and if it can be fixed easily at home by a handy person.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by turning on and off? Do you mean that the power goes completely off, like turning the power switch off then after a short amount of time the power comes back on? Or do you mean the audio shuts off but the unit is still receiving power, then the audio returns? Or is it another scenario?

If it is the former is the interval of time when it powers off and powers on relatively the same amount of time, like 10 seconds each and every time?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I"ve had issues with my powered speakers overheating and stop producing sound when connected to mixers that have phantom power turned on. Even when only running a signal out to FOH. This has happened with both my JBL and QSC on different occasions. Fortunately they resumed function after removing phantom power and about 30 minutes cooling down.

My QSC finally crapped out this year after a decade of severe abuse of dirty bars, festivals, and private parties. It still works but is quick to distort until it warms up a bit, but then distorts again before the end of a typical 4-hour gig as it overheats. Also one of my XLR/1/4' inputs has gone wonky...something with the spring or clip in the 1/4' connector.

I"m actually surprised that it lasted so long under such abuse I"ve put it though with rain, sun, snow, and performing in extreme temperatures from -10 to 108 degrees F. In fact so impressed that I got an identical replacement.

What do you mean by turning on and off? Do you mean that the power goes completely off, like turning the power switch off then after a short amount of time the power comes back on? Or do you mean the audio shuts off but the unit is still receiving power, then the audio returns? Of is it a other scenario?

If it is the former is the interval of time when it powers off and powers on relatively the same amount of time, like 10 seconds each and every time?

The power goes completely off and will turn on again after some interval which is different each time. Sometimes it's off for several minutes before turning itself on again. Often it will power down as soon as I play a note on my keyboard while it's connected, but like I said, this will happen even if there are no connections.

This is probably not related because this happened on my old QSC K8 (not .2), but an inductor on the circuit board was heavy enough to put stress on the solder connection (with the speaker being knocked around) so that the lead eventually came off the board â it produced the same symptom (speaker shutting down randomly). There's a long thread here with me posting pics (that will probably not show up now, since the image hosting site changed servers). QSC sent out a service bulletin and updated their circuit boards to allow a nylon tie to wrap around this part and hold it more securely to the board. I had an early K8 that didn't have this mod, so after replacing the inductor I drilled a hole in the circuit board and installed a tie myself.

I'm not saying you have the exact same issue but, if my K8.2 was out of warranty I would open it up and check all the solder connections. It does sound like a bad solder joint somewhere.

I thought QSC was 3 years warranty (I know Yamaha's warranty on the DXR8 is 7 years).

This problem sounds familiar. I remember hearing about early production runs of the first K12 speakers having a similar "shut down for no reason" problem, all replaced by QSC.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest available? I'd try to do that and see if it rectifies the problem.

If not, sounds like an RMA w QSC is in order - if still under warranty they'll probably just have you ship them the amp module, not the entire speaker, for replacement.

6 years if you registered with them, 3 years if you didn't.

On a side note: I've had 2 K8.2 speakers lose their display control. The unit still operates, and you've got physical volume pots, but all the digital features are inaccessible.

I don't have a bag for it, but it's not like it was roughly handled or lost in a jumble of other equipment, am surprised it happened the first time let alone the second time. The first time I received a new factory unit, it was a fairly new speaker at that time and they overnighted me a new one! And this was before they received the broken unit.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I thought QSC was 3 years warranty (I know Yamaha's warranty on the DXR8 is 7 years).

This problem sounds familiar. I remember hearing about early production runs of the first K12 speakers having a similar "shut down for no reason" problem, all replaced by QSC.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest available? I'd try to do that and see if it rectifies the problem.

If not, sounds like an RMA w QSC is in order - if still under warranty they'll probably just have you ship them the amp module, not the entire speaker, for replacement.

I'm going to update the firmware tonight - thanks for the tip.