Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Jarrett, unusual moments

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: His comping for Chet and Lee is in a total other time space / zip code and probably made them feel real uncomfortable. But as soon as they stopped and he was playing Trio with Charlie, the two of them instantly locked.

You never know, they could have met on this ad hoc gig and it became a Prelude to the "American Quartet'.

[video:youtube]

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

:laugh: His comping for Chet and Lee is in a total other time space / zip code and probably made them feel real uncomfortable. But as soon as they stopped and he was playing Trio with Charlie, the two of them instantly locked.

Man you nailed that Dave! Instant!

J a z z P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB-6 | Seven

I had totally forgotten about that date! But didn't Jarrett and Haden meet via Charles Lloyd? And is Chet the one who got Charlie on smack (though he kicked it later)?

I was such a huge follower of the American Quartet (sometimes a Quintet with the extra percussionist, and occasionally a jazz guitarist sit-in as well). My brother as well. Lots of those concerts were broadcast live on PBS back in the day; what a joy!

And yeah, Jarret and Haden are locked in tight as can be, once on their own. It's no wonder they kept it going beyond that Chet session.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

You're right; I saw that band with both bassists. Haden was busy with Ornette Coleman at the time. Keith pulled one or two of the Charles Lloyd era compositions into the American Quartet as I recall.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

[video:youtube]

Well, at this medium up tempo, everything is locking much better with the horns. It still doesn't sound totally relaxed as they are only taking a couple of choruses. Largely what I'm hearing is, when Keith and Charlie are doing their loose, elastic time thing, the drummer isn't on the same wave length. He sounds more traditional straight ahead. The mismatch was really exacerbated with the fast Donna Lee tempo. That sounded like a train wreck could have happened at any second.

Too bad the tape didn't catch the rest of Keith's solo here. His astounding technique with the double-time stuff are on display. I've noticed as he matured with the Standards Trio with Gary and Jack, I don't hear him playing double-time stuff all that often. Uptempo yes but not double -time like in the 60s and 70s.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515