Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why did I do it?

As many of you know, I did a big sell off of music equipment. I"m retired. I don"t gig. I don"t need 20 keyboards, 6 trumpets, 12 guitars and a dozen beat boxes. Selling off items has been a nice boost to my early retirement income. For two years everything was going out. Nothing coming in. ⦠⦠⦠But last night.

I ordered a Roland MC-707. It really is just what I wanted for sitting on the porch and putting together a song without extra devices and cables. I have most of the Elektron boxes but the truth is, they all need to be connected to something to give me enough polyphony and sounds. The MC-707 has plenty of poly and sounds.

I didn"t sleep last night, at all. And this morning I got up and started watching YouTube reviews of the Jupiter X. I want one. ⦠⦠⦠I WANT ONE! ⦠⦠â¦

Why did I do it? I was cured. I was clean. I was happy. I was ⦠You know, if I sell my System 8, TR-8S, and a few other little devices maybe I can justifyâ¦

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You"ve got enough G.A.S. to fill the Goodyear Blimp fleet..........ie; you"re normal.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Being a musician is not a job that you can retire from. It's a big part of who you are. I've quit several times, only to go back.

Maybe the retirement and sell off was your subconscious saying it was time to make room for new stuff.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I like some things about the Jupiter X and some things I don't. I am thinking about it but don't want to be the first to jump in.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I been wanting a workstation Montage, Fantom, Kronos. What keep my GAS under control is first my apartment is so full of crap until I do a major clearing out of stuff there is no room for another big keyboard. Two I'm still a beginner when it comes to keyboard so all that great workstation abilities would just be a distraction at this point. But at night I keep telling myself, but-but, but I could sequence backing tracks to practice with, I could......

I can admire keyboards and not buy them.

I must be the outlier in that I have patience or self control or slow to toss the plastic, etc etc

Also have a theory that new prices on the high end will be dropping due to economic circumstances.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

It happens to us all. I have been very lucky that only one synth has given me uncontrollable GAS in several years, and I am writing about it in the GearLab right now. I am hoping I don't have to sell anything to get it, because I don't own anything that's worth that much any more.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

SAG would never work for me. I play my gear until it really needs to be replaced, meaning it has no street value anymore.

I can easily resist a Jupiter X. I don't like Roland. Never have, never will.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I can easily resist a Jupiter X. I don't like Roland. Never have, never will.

I tried to like Roland's stuff but I don't like them either. The only Roland in my arsenal is a PM-16 drum to MIDI converter, and I'm not entirely happy with that either.

As many of you know, I did a big sell off of music equipment. I"m retired. I don"t gig. I don"t need 20 keyboards, 6 trumpets, 12 guitars and a dozen beat boxes. Selling off items has been a nice boost to my early retirement income. For two years everything was going out. Nothing coming in. ⦠⦠⦠But last night.

I ordered a Roland MC-707. It really is just what I wanted for sitting on the porch and putting together a song without extra devices and cables. I have most of the Elektron boxes but the truth is, they all need to be connected to something to give me enough polyphony and sounds. The MC-707 has plenty of poly and sounds.

I didn"t sleep last night, at all. And this morning I got up and started watching YouTube reviews of the Jupiter X. I want one. ⦠⦠⦠I WANT ONE! ⦠⦠â¦

Why did I do it? I was cured. I was clean. I was happy. I was ⦠You know, if I sell my System 8, TR-8S, and a few other little devices maybe I can justifyâ¦

Money from the sales eating a hole in your pocket. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well, the box is in and I love it. The real fun began as I was watching the ARP movie and was inspired to set up 8 channels of synth patterns, pretending that it was a monster modular with 8 channels of sequencing. I really like the Ableton Live type structure of the sequencing blocks and the ability to mix patterns of different lengths. It is the closest thing I have found to the old Emu Command Stations.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I can't imagine selling off electronics these days to pay down any significant debt unless you need the proceeds to keep your house.

Everything is depreciated so much that any sale is a minuscule amount unless one has very rare items or hundreds of items to sell. I could be wrong for specific situations but wondering.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Well, the box is in and I love it.

Enjoy. There should be enough under the hood to have fun with for a while. GAS resolved. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"