Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Georgia...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely music!!

I got to see Ray Charles twice, with his full band/orchestra and the Raylettes.

This was the next to last tune, a showpiece. Not a dry eye within hearing distance, stunning.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Mate, the Steve Winwood clip is amazing. And what organ is that?

It's a Hammond, not sure of the model since you don't really get a great look at it. This was recorded in 1967, and the only Hammonds with tabs as well as drawbars that I am aware of from that time were spinets - L-100 and M-100. CV sounds more like a M-100 to me than the L-100, which had a different system.

Moe

---

I believe it's a Hammond M100 (with "contemporary" cabinet style = M102). I used to have one of these with a Leslie 145 ... it has tonewheels and tube circuitry with 2nd/3rd harmonic percussion and scanner vibrato/chorus.

This was the organ he used on the original recording of "Gimme Some Lovin'" ... you can see it in this live video (synced to the original recording ... check out 0'13"-0'25", 1'03"-1'15", and 1'53"-2'05").

These videos give an idea of its sound and specs.

An M100 was also used by Matthew Fisher on the original recording of "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

Gotta love Winwood's take. I've never had the chance to see him, but a huge fan. If I need to pluck G# out the air I just listen for Empty Pages 'cause it still plays back in concert in my pea brain.

Yesterday sitting at the piano and watching those guys rip through Georgia, I played a little of it just for kicks. I'd never had the pleasure before. it's never been called on any of my gigs. Another one that got away...

http://www.linwoodbell.com/clientdownloads/Georgia.jpg