Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carlo de Wijs; Modular Hammond series.

For all Hammond and tech Geeks. Carlo de Wijs is an amazing Dutch Hammond organ player. He is always busy with developing his sound. He now started a series on how his "Modular Hammond" works. Basically what he does is getting the hammond signal out of the hammond, run it thru effects, synthesizers and Ableton, which runs back again into the organ to be added to his normal Hammond sound, giving him a wide palette of sounds. I think it is really an extraordinary piece of work.

Below is the beginning of the series. It is on going. Episode 1 and 2 are introductions. If you want to hear it, go to episode number 3.

[video:youtube]

Here you can see it in action live:

Rudy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool - unfortunately those first 4 clips aren't available here :idk:. I would love to hear the technical discussion. It's the second time in a few weeks that someone's posted what sounds to me like a Hammond going through a Moog MuRF. Love that sound. I did find a couple of older videos with his Voices of Soul project. Wonderful!

Nice. BTW he might not go into the real technical details on how he did it. I sent him a link to this thread, so maybe he can/will chime in to answer some more questions on this.

Rudy

A fully integrated system using both hardware and software, something I'm always working towards. That is so frig'n cool! My new hero. Thanks for sharing. :cool::thu:
Yup, thats what's been floating my boat too. Analog/acoustic flavor and character, digital convenience and possibilities. Glad I'm not hauling that rig though!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Sorry Elmerjfudd, I completely missed that thread!

Too funny - I knew I heard an organ through a MuRF recently :facepalm:. Didn't pay much attention to who it was as the psychedelics were a bit overwhelming.

I downloaded the album. It's been in my regular playlists and I'm really enjoying it. I love the sounds he's getting, but aside from that, he's a very tasteful, restrained player. The compositions are accessible and catchy while still sounding original, somewhere between jazz and prog if one has to reach for labels. With his sound choices, the melody or lead voice is often sotto voce, not taking center stage, which spreads the ear's focus more broadly, including the fabulous drum playing. It's an interesting way to spread a sound palette. I think my first instinctual reaction was to be slightly underwhelmed but it has really grown on me.

I love it when Hammond players decide they don't need to sound like everyone else. It was one of things that first attracted me to Auger. de Wijs has gone far beyond Auger in pursuing a personalized sound.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Wow, really digging this, especially the live stuff with the drummer. The sonic stuff he's doing is very cool, but it doesn't overwhelm the Hammond-ness of the sound. Plus, his playing is tasteful and solid.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

thx for posting this, even before you get to the experimental stuff with the Moogerfoogers, synth modules and Ableton, he's one tasty player. I've downloaded (from iTunes) his earlier stuff from a decade or two back and even then he's got that dirty grind going on that I also love about Robert Walter's sound, some deft footwork, some damn funky shit going on, really enjoying it.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Thank for sharing this. He's very tasteful and creative, especially well demonstrated in the clip with the drummer. I love that the sonic explorations are in support of musical goals. Wishing him much success. :cheers:

It would be fun to interview him and get into the details of sound-design. I am hearing all kinds of very subtly balanced parallel processing ... perhaps an indicator of his production and mastering chops.

thx for posting this, even before you get to the experimental stuff with the Moogerfoogers, synth modules and Ableton, he's one tasty player. I've downloaded (from iTunes) his earlier stuff from a decade or two back and even then he's got that dirty grind going on that I also love about Robert Walter's sound, some deft footwork, some damn funky shit going on, really enjoying it.

Same here. I've downloaded his 2002 and 2012 albums. Somewhat surprisingly, they've both got a very American R&B/soul flavor with lots of vocals. Wasn't expecting that. I'd say his style is more soulful/lyrical than technical, and I like that. Also, listening to these drives home once again the timeless appeal of the Hammond sound. These R&B compositions might sound dated if he had used whatever digital keyboards were popular at the time, but the Hammond voice lifts the tunes above that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I"ve seen Carlo live a couple of times. He indeed is a really tasty player imho. He also has amazing chops, which he doesn"t show (off) too often, but sometimes throws in live. A real tasty musician!

Rudy

I have a couple of cd´s and know Carlo for years. What always struck me is that his Hammond sound and kicking bass is so good...i never came close with clones myself.

Here a more traditional jazzy-bluesy song where he is going to solo later on....i love the sound from his organ.