Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Okay, how did I miss The Electric Flag?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was this club in Hollywood when I was young and I'd go every Friday night no matter who was playing. I the band was great I'd be back Saturday night. I remember going one Friday in 1968 and this band starts and at beat one they were GREAT it was the Electric Flag. Got all my friends to come with me on Saturday night and we were all instantly Electric Flag fans. We all got the album and then found out the band was on the soundtrack to the movie The Trip and get bought that too. Electric Flag is one of those old albums I still dig when I hear it.

I don't think I realized until now that Buddy Miles was in Electric Flag BEFORE he joined Jimi Hendrix.

Harvey Brooks of course was already a known session bassist, and had played on Dylan's albums.

I guess the Electric Flag material mostly also came before that excellent one-off Super Session album?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't think I realized until now that Buddy Miles was in Electric Flag BEFORE he joined Jimi Hendrix.

Harvey Brooks of course was already a known session bassist, and had played on Dylan's albums.

I guess the Electric Flag material mostly also came before that excellent one-off Super Session album?

Also around the time of the Electric Flag, Supper Session, was the first Blood Sweat & Tears album. Another band I just happened into at the Whiskey one night. A lot of great music came from the late 60's.

I've done this arrangement of Killin' Floor (or an adaptation of it) with a few bands. It was always killer, pardon the phrase.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

...oh my. Not only is that awesome, but it gives me a little more reference for where Zeppelin was stealing from with "The Lemon Song" aside from the original Howlin' Wolf source.

I wish you heard more bass playing like that!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Take it from a bass player...you play like that and people jump in your shit, telling you that you play "too many notes." Bands where you can stretch out as a bass player are rarer than hen's teeth.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Take it from a bass player...you play like that and people jump in your shit, telling you that you play "too many notes."
I can't imagine playing this tune without a bass part like that one. It makes the tune move.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Take it from a bass player...you play like that and people jump in your shit, telling you that you play "too many notes." Bands where you can stretch out as a bass player are rarer than hen's teeth.
Yup, bass is my other axe too. I've never had too much trouble with getting shouted down, other than the occasional hired-gun recording session... honestly, I feel worse for the bass players in the bands I play keys in, who always have to deal with me asking them to play more licks!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.