Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FW410...I'm bummin'

I got my FW410 back from M-Audio support. Indeed, the phantom power was not functional. They sent me a replacement unit. Unfortunately, I think I got a previously enjoyed FW410...it was in a box, no paperwork, no shrink wrap, just "it". It took a little over a week to get it, with a holiday thrown in. I was so excited to get it back...I plugged my mic in, hooked it up to my Power Book, and it worked!!!! For about 15 minutes. Now, nothing. I've tried different cables, hooked up a firewire drive to my PBook (worked great), tried the FW410 on my G4/400...nothing. The blue light comes on, blinks but the unit never initializes. If I unplug, then plug it back in, I get absolutely nothing. I tried the adapter AND bus power. Still, nothing. With just the adapter (stand-alone), nothing happens. I zapped the PRam, repaired permissions, ran Norton Disk Doctor...am I missing something? I guess I'll call M-Audio tech support tomorrow. I'm hoping that they'll ship it back to me Priority, if I pay for it. Gus, think they will?

I'm bummin'...

- Seriously

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah...I'm using the latest update from M-Audio. Also, if I try to shutdown/power up while it's plugged in to the Firewire port, the PowerBook locks up. Through the process of elimination, I've determined the FW410 is faulty (again)...unless I'm missing something. I'm so frustrated, that is a distinct possibility.

- Seriously

Hey, thanks Gus! You are always on top of things! I BELIEVE (I'm at work, the PB's at home) I'm running 10.3.2. The FW410 ran just great on it before (albeit with no phantom power), and worked for a short time on Saturday. I'll double-check the current OS when I get home. I plan on calling the tech center as soon as they get in...

Thanks much!

- Steve

Originally posted by Seriously:

Hey, thanks Gus! You are always on top of things! I BELIEVE (I'm at work, the PB's at home) I'm running 10.3.2. The FW410 ran just great on it before (albeit with no phantom power), and worked for a short time on Saturday. I'll double-check the current OS when I get home. I plan on calling the tech center as soon as they get in...

Thanks much!

- Steve

Our techies work from 7 AM to 7 PM, WEST (They are in California).

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Gus, what's wrong with 10.3.4? I was just about to update to it (just my business Mac, not my audio Mac).

- Jeff

Just like in any PS update, Jeff... personally I am very careful about jumping immediately since I do use my setup on a daily basis and any bug might delay or stop my activities.

There's nothing "wrong" with the new system but as deanmass mentioned, his Radium is not working under 10.3.4. Fortunately that has been the only report we had -and the only product, so far, but we expect some others to come, just because of the nature of any OS upgrade-.

www.guslozada.com

Jeff, I was not raggin on M-Audio or Gus...It is just one of those bug-a-boos. OSX is still my favorite OS, and still like my Radium, but I am not in a production environment, so I can wait til the driver is figured out.

Is there somewhere specific apple posts the exact driver changes?

Good news! I talked with Glen at M-Audio. I overnighted the FW410 to them, they received it today. They are repairing it today and shipping it out (overnight UPS, at my expense). I don't know if Gus used his pull (which I'm sure is considerable!), but I appreciate the quick turnaround. I'll let you know what the techs find out...

Peace!

- Seriously

Originally posted by deanmass:

In this case, Apple wouldn't be the one to post drivers; your hardware manufacturer takes care of that.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

Originally posted by deanmass:

In this case, Apple wouldn't be the one to post drivers; your hardware manufacturer takes care of that.
That is so true.

Apple only let developers know what changes were done.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Seriously:

Good news! I talked with Glen at M-Audio. I overnighted the FW410 to them, they received it today. They are repairing it today and shipping it out (overnight UPS, at my expense). I don't know if Gus used his pull (which I'm sure is considerable!), but I appreciate the quick turnaround. I'll let you know what the techs find out...

Peace!

- Seriously

I will get really upset if this does not finish your nightmare, dude. Hopefully we'll do it right this time.

I'm so sorry.

www.guslozada.com

Archived