Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just fininshed a huge project

Well, I just finished outputting a the largest project that I've ever had to deal with: recording and editing voices for an upcoming PS2 fighting game.

Three weeks. 500 page script. Over 8000 files, almost 2 gigs of final output. Over six hours of contiguous dialogue. Over fifty characters. About fifteen of those characters required vocal effects such as pich shifting, reverb, or in some case two actors recording the same lines to be vocaligned. Lots of hours.

I didn't do it myself, though I put in the majority of the hours. We hired a freelancer to cut voices, and I edited for three straight weeks with the help of some of the other engineers at the facility.

It feels good to have it out from under me. I get my creative kicks from sound design, but I have to say that I take a lot of pride in my ability to record and edit the human voice.

The game is going to come out for Christmas, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I told our other engineer that I'm going to get it before he does so that I can get good at it and whoop his arse. :)

Lots of good things will come to us from this project, but man it was a bear. :cool:

---------

-Guruman-

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on completeing your project!

A shameless plug - we've got a great thread going over on the Project Studio forum regarding Computer game Audio - http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000203 - We'd love to have you come on over and join in the discussion. :) I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate your insights and would enjoy reading about your experiences.

Hey how is sound design anyway? It seems like it'd be way too much work, and kinda boring. I recently took a small zip-loc bag, blew air in it and popped it. I recorded that, and played around with it on my keyboard. I played a series of keys to where it sounded like a muffled horse gallop. Heh!

I'm a fan of sound design. I think that the proper sound design can make or break any given video game (or movie for that matter.) I get to do some creative foley, have fun with plug-ins, and generally jack around with audio. Great fun. :)

Before I started this last bear I got to sound design an animatic of a bunch of little gremlin looking things coming out of a manhole and getting chased away by a huge monster thing. It was a demo for the graphics technology, so there was no back story to any of the characters and I basically had creative freedom to do whatever I wanted. I love that.

I've sound designed the pod races that get shown on the Jumbotron between periods at Maverics games here in town, as well as the Dallas Stars opening montage that gets played before games. Fun stuff like adding huge explosions when Modano booms the puck from the blue line. :)

I'll check out that thread Phil. :thu:

---------

-Guruman-

having done it. For me, doing the voice recording and editing for a video game is right up there with watching paint dry.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I'm a fan of the human voice though. I love picking out the nuances of why one take is better than the other. I love being in on the direction and recording of great actors. I love being the one in charge of making sure that every one of those eight thousand and some odd files are perfect.

We got to do some cool characters that were combinations of multiple characters. We'd get two actors in the booth and one would lead "you fool" the other would follow "you fool" and after the fact we'd vocalign and output them as a single character. Cool pich shifty kind of effect. :)

The script is an adaptation from Japaneese, so it's not exactly Hemmingway, but entertaining nonetheless.

Again what can I say, I'm a fan of the human voice. :cool:

---------

-Guruman-

Originally posted by Guruman:

I'm a fan of the human voice though. I love picking out the nuances of why one take is better than the other. I love being in on the direction and recording of great actors. I love being the one in charge of making sure that every one of those eight thousand and some odd files are perfect.

We got to do some cool characters that were combinations of multiple characters. We'd get two actors in the booth and one would lead "you fool" the other would follow "you fool" and after the fact we'd vocalign and output them as a single character. Cool pich shifty kind of effect. :)

The script is an adaptation from Japaneese, so it's not exactly Hemmingway, but entertaining nonetheless.

Again what can I say, I'm a fan of the human voice. :cool:

it seems to me that you're doing something that you LOVE TO DO and getting PAID for it.

I REALLY LIKE to get paid.. ahahaha!

So, super congrats there, hard workin' dude..

Way ta' go..

:wave:

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Archived