Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rackmounted USB Hubs?

Does anyone here know of any rackmounted USB hubs?

Considering all of the USB interfacing being done these days (iLoks, dongles, USB controllers, USB keyboards, etc.), I'm surprised that no one seems to be marketing this kind of item to our industry.

Best,

Geoff

CC: Phil O\'Keefe: The Project Studio

CC: George Massenburg\'s R/E/P Forum

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can tell, no one at all -- neither MI/Pro Audio companies nor computer accessory companies like Belkin or Griffin -- makes a rackmount USB hub.

I'll tell you why, though. Those little plastic consumer devices are cheap to make, but expensive for tooling and other upfront costs. The fact is, we're in a tiny industry compared to consumer markets (who don't use rackmount gear). So the cost for the consumer products is made up in volume, while the small numbers sold to MI customers isn't, driving up the unit price.

So the dilemma is price. If an audio manufacturer did this box (say, 4x4 USB), it would cost you $99 street price minimally, perhaps a bit more. Even if it went in the typical utilitarian punched sheet metal form factor, the low volume of parts would also help drive the production costs up. Then you'd have the dilemma of using the equivalent desktop consumer model that only costs $39 but serves the same purpose (in a less-than-ideal form factor).

Any of this making sense?

- Jeff

I found the following through an Internet search:

http://www.rimax.net/images/products/VP-15H.gif

ViPowER Range VP-15H 4-Port USB Hub for Super RACK

Unfortunately, they only sell to Europe and the Middle East.

Sly, thanks for the link. I hadn't thought of trying a "USB panel" search either. Unfortunately, I've still not found a USB solution. Thanks everyone else for the FireWire and light pipe links. They may come in handy one day.

A Digidesign sales rep suggested that I Velcro normal USB hubs to a rackmount tray. That's a good Plan B.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

As far as I can tell, no one at all -- neither MI/Pro Audio companies nor computer accessory companies like Belkin or Griffin -- makes a rackmount USB hub.

I'll tell you why, though. Those little plastic consumer devices are cheap to make, but expensive for tooling and other upfront costs. The fact is, we're in a tiny industry compared to consumer markets (who don't use rackmount gear). So the cost for the consumer products is made up in volume, while the small numbers sold to MI customers isn't, driving up the unit price.

Jeff, your point makes sense. Even so, I think that we're nearing the time when demand for rackmount USB hubs will meet or even exceed the demand for rackmount MIDI interfaces. Not only are USB ports on the rise in keyboards, but they're also common in control surfaces, dongles, iLoks, and XSkeys, not to mention printers and other computer peripherals that musicians would use. I think that many of us would be willing to pay a similar price for a rackmount USB hub as we would for a rackmount MIDI interface.

I'm surprised that some forward thinking company hasn't seemed to realize this burgeoning need. Perhaps one has and is working on it now. Who knows?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

posted 06-03-2004 06:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the following through an Internet search:

ViPowER Range VP-15H 4-Port USB Hub for Super RACK

Unfortunately, they only sell to Europe and the Middle East.

thats not true i carry Vi-Power.

you have me looking now. :D

Scott

ADK

• 2 months later...

Archived