Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Supersize Me - anybody seen it?

You know, my position on this has been blown way out of proportion. It was just my opinion of the stunt and the guys use of McDonald's for publicity, and one that still stands. Is it a big deal what I said, no. Was it complete and utter slam of this movie, no. Will this movie do some good, maybe. Did I ever say that health information was bad or should be stopped or that health is not important or that being fat was good or anything even close in that regard, I'd like to know where I did. Should I have been allowed to comment, yes. Was I defensive and angry, no (guess I need to use the smilies). Do I think it's insulting to think of people as the lowest common homogenized masses who are unable to think for themselves, yes. Do I think it may actually be destructive, and have the exact opposite effect that some people would like, to send a message that people are being controlled or are ignorant or are stupid for liking what they like, yes. Do I think that the "activist" message can be just as misleading as corporate advertising, yes. Do I think some people are full of it, YES.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by eljefe:

The United States faces a serious health crisis right now. Many people in this country need to change their eating and exercise habits, or they will DIE.

[/QB]

I would think that would be a good thing, because they are all the dumb, TV watching, American Idol voting, Britney Spears loving, Clear Channel listening, shallow thinking, couch potatoing, lowest common denominating idiots.

Just saw it, I haven't winced and twitched in discust like that since the first few minutes of Saving Private Ryan! I couldn't watch the whole thing either. Just totally discusting, its a horror movie! McDonald's is a leading terrorist organization.

Coffee and Cigarettes was easier to deal with and I wish I'd seen it second, lots of laughs.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Speaking of MTV, and Jackass, maybe this explains the tacky feeling I got. Love that quality television:

"I Bet You Will", the show that proves people will do anything for money!" From bobbing for bacon in baked beans to putting live sea creatures in your pants,drink shots of vinegar. this show will stop at nothing to humiliate ordinary people off the street -- all for the sake of a few hundred bucks. Filmed at various Spring Break locations, college campuses and downtown venues, the show features about a dozen short stunts geared to test the intestinal fortitude - literally - of the unsuspecting participants. Regular stunts include The Spice Rack, I Bet You Wheel and The Duck Pond. If its messy, squishy, gross and tastes bad, you WILL find it on I Bet You Will.

zzzzzzzzz said:

You know, my position on this has been blown way out of proportion. It was just my opinion of the stunt and the guys use of McDonald's for publicity, and one that still stands.

zzzzzzzzz...I guess people are simply suspect of individuals like yourself who hold an opinion of and pass value judgements on something with which you have (admittedly) no direct experience.

...and just so you know, Ill clue you in on who the we are. We in this context are the people Lee Flier calls friend and those who would do likewise.

FWIW, Lee may have a great number of topics she feels passionate about, but I cant remember a time when she presented a sum series of posts on any of them where she was, in total, less than reasonable and articulate, even if I did not personally agree with her view. In that sense, she has most certainly earned a great deal of respect from me.

So make no mistake...when you refer to her as Ms. Thing, I have no need to read between the lines, because the message is quite clear:

You didnt have the self-respect to avoid to making a personal attack when you could not ably defend or articulate your position in the debate, regardless of how right or wrong your position is.

...and I cant know for sure, since I have never met you, but you come across in your posts like an asshole. Please, dont take that personally...I would say that about anyone who would make a personal attack on one of my friends.

amor vincit omnia,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by aeon:

zzzzzzzzz...I guess people are simply suspect of individuals like yourself who hold an opinion of and pass value judgements on something with which you have (admittedly) no direct experience.

I didn't see the movie, but I said I read about the stunt, etc., people comment on movies and other things (in a negative) without having seen them or experienced them directly all the time.

...and just so you know, Ill clue you in on who the we are. We in this context are the people Lee Flier calls friend and those who would do likewise.
She said I had a distaste for everyone here, I said I was talking to her. I don't like her telling me what I have a distaste for, would you?

FWIW, Lee may have a great number of topics she feels passionate about, but I cant remember a time when she presented a sum series of posts on any of them where she was, in total, less than reasonable and articulate, even if I did not personally agree with her view. In that sense, she has most certainly earned a great deal of respect from me.
I can remember a time when she was less than reasonable, and it started with her first post to me in this thread. If she had been reasonable with me, none of this bullshit would have gone down.

So make no mistake...when you refer to her as Ms. Thing, I have no need to read between the lines, because the message is quite clear:

You didnt have the self-respect to avoid to making a personal attack when you could not ably defend or articulate your position in the debate, regardless of how right or wrong your position is.

She personally attacked me! Go back and read her post. (If you really want me to go back to that post, and go through each bit in this ping pong debate game to defend my position, I will, I just figured after she said that crap that there was no point in continuing with her). She has told me I shouldn't comment, she claimed all I do is criticize people, and I have made no contribution to this community. Who made her the judge and jury?!?! (If my balls on the rear view mirror comment is not enough of a contribution, I don't know what more I can give :cry: .) And why, when I'm in a "debate" with her, she makes it out like I'm in a debate with the whole community here, I don't know. I guess she speaks for all of you, is that the deal? Is that the way this "community" works. "Queen Flier does not approve of what this peasant has to say, so off with his balls!" It sure is funny when the shoe is on the other foot. Guess I'm not one of the beautiful people.

...and I cant know for sure, since I have never met you, but you come across in your posts like an asshole. Please, dont take that personally...I would say that about anyone who would make a personal attack on one of my friends.

If you met me in person it would only confirm I am indeed an asshole. But I am a passionate asshole with a point. A smilie goes there. I don't think anyone gets my sense of humor here, so maybe that's why I come off that way. Ah well. Or maybe it's my typing skills.

zzzzzzzzz said:

I didn't see the movie, but I said I read about the stunt, etc., people comment on movies and other things (in a negative) without having seen them or experienced them directly all the time.

agreed, and in general, people who pass judgement on things with which they have no direct experience, or reiterate the view of another party without confirming it for themselves, i.e., hearsay, do so out of ignorance, stupidity or a decided agenda...and that is why people treat such individuals, especially those who cling tightly to their second-hand perspective, with a healthy skepticism.

zzzzzzzzz said:

She said I had a distaste for everyone here, I said I was talking to her. I don't like her telling me what I have a distaste for, would you?

or course not, but seeing as you expect others to read between the lines, I would think it would be patently obvious that Lee has no control over what you have distaste for...she said this in the context of her perception, or so it seems to me.

speaking of that perception, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and do a search on your user number such that I might read some history of your posts here on the forums. to allow for day-to-day variances and to get a clearer overall picture, I read everything you posted as returned by the first 150 search matches/hits/posts you made.

though not in all of them, you often did exhibit what I would consider a flippant, snide and condescending attitude, both as it regards the topic of discussion and the people you directed your comments toward.

that said, I certainly dont like being quoted out of context, so Ill extend you the courtesy of not doing so in regards to what you have said across those many threads.

zzzzzzzzz said:

I can remember a time when she was less than reasonable, and it started with her first post to me in this thread.

Lets look at exactly what she said to you in the first post in this thread:

Lee Flier said:

Actually I think you should see the film before you comment... I can already tell you have some misconceptions about it.

I agree in general that it's disturbing people don't make better personal choices and blame others for their bad choices. However if people, especially children, are given very little access to the resources they need to make good choices, and meanwhile are subjected to a constant onslaught of advertising for what usually amounts to bad choices, the odds are very much against people making good choices. The film is mainly an attempt to present a point of view counter to that onslaught, in the hope that it will help enable people to make better choices.

so, the first point she made was that she thinks you should see the film before you comment.

fair enough, I say...and certainly reasonable given the healthy skepticism that people have for individuals who pass judgement on things with which they have no direct experience.

in her second point, she goes on to agree with you, and then make what I consider a reasonable statement to clarify what she means in that agreement.

that said, I think you are way off base with your statement.

zzzzzzzzz said:

She personally attacked me! Go back and read her post. (If you really want me to go back to that post...

actually, it would be most appreciated if you could point that post out, because upon review, I could find no personal attack against you in this thread made by Lee. by all means, if you choose to do so, it would be most appreciated (and courteous) to not quote out of context.

she may have challenged your ideas and even called into question your behavior, but I did not find any evidence of her attacking your person...N.B. the difference.

zzzzzzzzz said:

She has told me I shouldn't comment, she claimed all I do is criticize people, and I have made no contribution to this community. Who made her the judge and jury?!?!

well, perhaps you shouldnt comment on things with which you have no experience...I think that is a fair point.

that said, the record of your posts here as revealed by a search and time spent reading make quite clear your contribution to this community, or lack thereof, but dont take my word for it...have a look for yourself!

zzzzzzzzz said:

And why, when I'm in a "debate" with her, she makes it out like I'm in a debate with the whole community here, I don't know.

I explained that before, but if I was not clear, I will reiterate for your edification.

you deigned to leave the domain of debate and lowered yourself so as to make a personal attack, and when a friend notices a fellow friend has been attacked, it beggars a group response.

zzzzzzzzz said:

I am a passionate asshole with a point.

fair enough...its simply that you do not express or articulate your point in a manner that is persuasive or compelling...but it seems you may already be aware of this based on you saying:

zzzzzzzzz said:

I don't think anyone gets my sense of humor here, so maybe that's why I come off that way.

just to be clear, no one finds a snide attitude humorous, or a personal attack amusing.

be well,

aeon

and FWIW, zzzzzzzzz, thats all I really have to say about this all...I dont want to derail the thread, especially since I I have not seen the film (which is why I didnt comment on it ;) ).

that said, I do welcome your response to my request for highlighting the example of where you felt you were attacked by Lee...if it did indeed occur, I missed it, and I want you to know that I am more than willing to consider your argument in full.

cheers,

aeon

So before this whole thing degrades into a childish pissing contest, could someone direct me to a good nutrional website? Something that will tell you what the good foods are and help you plan your meals.

I'm lousy at this stuff, and I'd really like to eat better than I do.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I too would like more information on a better diet. My girlfriend and I both have high metabolisms, which means we're both way too likely to be hooked on sweets because they haven't visibly affected us, but that won't last forever.

We do plan on getting on the Dance Dance Revolution Exercise Plan.

Originally posted by Super 8:

could someone direct me to a good nutrional website? Something that will tell you what the good foods are and help you plan your meals.

The

USDA Nutrition Site is actually pretty decent. You could start there and if you have other questions or stuff you'd like to discuss/delve deeper into, get back to us. :D

It IS really hard to eat right the way the average American's day is structured and the kinds of foods that are usually within the most convenient reach. :(

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

[QBThe

USDA Nutrition Site is actually pretty decent. [/QB]

Thanks for the link.

That body mass index thingy is kinda screwy. If I weighed what it said would be the correct weight to but my BMI in the 'normal' range, there wouldn't be much left of me. I hate those standardized calculators!

I'll have to check out the rest of the site later.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

If one good thing has come out of this thread, it's the fact that I've planned on having my cholesterol re-checked sometime soon (it's been years since my last test).

Since I smoke and eat fast food often, I actually fear the results. But facing the fear is always better than ignoring it (which, from a health standpoint, is more common for men than women).

- Jeff

Originally posted by Super 8:

That body mass index thingy is kinda screwy. If I weighed what it said would be the correct weight to but my BMI in the 'normal' range, there wouldn't be much left of me. I hate those standardized calculators!

Yeah, I don't really trust those things. They're based on generalized assumptions of your fat/weight ratio. If you were a bodybuilder with zero fat and sixty pounds of muscle, the calculator would still tell you to lose weight. Two people of the same height can have very different muscle and skeletal structures, which it doesn't take into account.

You need to get your fat measured directly - with one of those pinchy things on your gut and arm (yes, "pinchy thingy" is the correct medical term) - for an accurate BMI reading.

Yeah, the USDA info ain't perfect, but it's a decent place to start and you gotta start somewhere.

And eljefe, a bandmate of mine refers to guitar capos as "pinchy things." So that technical term is already taken! :D

aeon, am I the only one who commented on this movie that hasn't seen it, and/or implied that the stunt seemed of no value? Were they told not to comment by Ms. Flier or told that they obviously had misconceptions? Am I the only one in this community who is snide? Other than saying "Ms. Thing", which is not much of a personal attack, what did I say that was any more of an attack on her than what she has said to me?

I do welcome your response and will consider it in full. Thank you.

Yeah, BMI is insurance company junk; ignore it. You wanna pay attention to "body fat percentage" and there are lots of ways to calculate it.

I've recently found a much better way to eat at McDonald's, by sticking to the Dollar Menu stuff. Most places in NYC, you can get a Double Cheeseburger and McChicken or whatever, and a free cup of water and you're all done for 2 bucks and tax. They get you, nutritionally and money-wise, with the 'Value Meals' with those stupid fries and sodas. And you've gotta say "cup of water", not "water" 'cuz otherwise they'll try and sell you bottled water.

So anyways, there's your alternative in NYC to the hotdog stands.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

And eljefe, a bandmate of mine refers to guitar capos as "pinchy things." So that technical term is already taken! :D

Hmmm. Perhaps musicians and physicians share more than a suffix. Perhaps they use the same pinchy thingy! :idea:

Makes sense, actually. My physician doesn't use a pinchy thingy - he claims he can get as accurate a reading by squeezing my love handles with a heavily calloused index finger.

Have to keep swatting him away from my whammy bar, too. :mad:

:D

Ahem. Yep, took that one too far.

:o

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

I too would like more information on a better diet. My girlfriend and I both have high metabolisms, which means we're both way too likely to be hooked on sweets because they haven't visibly affected us, but that won't last forever.

We do plan on getting on the Dance Dance Revolution Exercise Plan.

Fruits and vegetables. If you're going to eat meat, go for lean. Chicken and fish are good, but not all fried and covered in sauces obviously. If you're going to eat rice or pasta, go for brown. If you're going to eat potatoes, go for baked. Don't eat anything fried and greasy, steamed and baked are better ways to cook. If you use butter, use very small amounts. Spices are mostly good, but not salt (there's sea salt or something like that). I personally try to avoid dairy. Try to eat fresh foods only. Read labels on everything including bread products, if it looks like a science project, probably not good. Drink lots of water. Replace bad snacks with things like raw nuts, dried fruit, fruit, real fruit juice, or things like carrot sticks or celery. Don't over eat. If you want to cheat every now and then, cheat, and don't sweat it. Exercise.

I'm no authority though, and apparently I'm snide, but I think that's pretty much it.

Archived